Both #7 and #8 with Service Disruptions Today (4/7)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montana mike

Conductor
Anyone know what has happened to BOTH #7 and #8 on the Empire Builder route today. Both show the dreaded "Service Disruption" monicker. Normally this means a BNSF issue on the Hi-Line, but I haven't heard anything yet on this.

Amtrak is turning 7 at Williston and 8 at Havre. I believe there will be a bus bridge. BNSF reports they cannot yet give a time for the mainline to be open.

Here's a quote from buns.com's service advisories

"On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 06:30 a.m., CDT, we received a preliminary report of a train derailment on the main track near Oswego, MT. Oswego, MT is located 40 miles east of Glasgow, MT. The estimated time for opening the main track has not been determined at this time."

Last edited by a moderator:
I see #8 and #28 are also on Service Disruption status as well. What a mess. The image of the derailment really tells the story. A big grain train. That is going to take some time. At least the temperatures will warm a little starting tomorrow. I guess there is no alternative route in that part of the Hi-Line.

Bummer.

The ride across US 2 isn't a bad one. In a bus, however, who knows?

And yesterday's 7 seems to have dropped off the status map in the last half-hour. It was between Rugby and Minot, moving, but showing a service reduction.

I guess #7 will terminate in SPK today? It would appear that BOTH 8/28 (7) and 7(7) were cancelled yesterday? Hopefully both will go today, depending of course on whether BNSF is able to clear things up. We are traveling on #8 later this week, so I hope things have returned to a more normal routine by then.

I see BNSF says the main track is estimated to reopen around 1 PM today. I would expect a lot of traffic to catch up with!

This should satisfy the many who object to journalistic standards when this type of incident is reported
default_mellow.png

Headline in the regional briefs section the Quincy Herald-Whig:

Passengers unhurt when truck hits Amtrak train.

This should satisfy the many who object to journalistic standards when this type of incident is reported
default_mellow.png

Headline in the regional briefs section the Quincy Herald-Whig:

Passengers unhurt when truck hits Amtrak train.
This report probably refers to a grade cross accident near Columbus, Wisconsin that happened a couple of days before the Montana derailment. A truck did indeed run into the side of #8 hitting the baggage and dorm cars. No one was injured on the train and the train eventually continued on to Chicago.

That was the AP suggested headline, so it probably showed up in a lot of newspapers.

Does anyone know what happened to 7(7)? It departed Saturday on time and made it almost to Minot, ND this morning and then they took it off the maps and have not given any progress report since? I would think that if they opened the tracks at the derailment site, this train should be continuing to Seattle/Portland. Why I am interested is that I had sleeper reservation on that train but had to cancel due to sickness and a hospital stay in March.

This train may be the one that arrived in SEA/PDX about 10+ hours late. It looks like the service on the Hi-Line has returned to more normal times today as all of the EBs currently moving along this route are close to schedule. Whew. It will be interesting to see what caused the derailment of that grain train.

This train may be the one that arrived in SEA/PDX about 10+ hours late. It looks like the service on the Hi-Line has returned to more normal times today as all of the EBs currently moving along this route are close to schedule. Whew. It will be interesting to see what caused the derailment of that grain train.
That could not be the 7(7) since it was not suppose to arrive until 10 AM today 4/9. Amtrak.com status say status not available due to service disruption.

Have you had any luck in contacting a "live" human being on this? That might be your best chance of finding out what happened.
Did not try to talk to a live individual since I was not actually on the train since I cancelled due to health reasons? I was just curious. If 8 departs on time from Seattle tonight then I will have my answer since they are not keeping an extra train set in Seattle. This morning's train is simply turned to be number 8 tonight.

Does anyone know what happened to 7(7)? It departed Saturday on time and made it almost to Minot, ND this morning and then they took it off the maps and have not given any progress report since? I would think that if they opened the tracks at the derailment site, this train should be continuing to Seattle/Portland. Why I am interested is that I had sleeper reservation on that train but had to cancel due to sickness and a hospital stay in March.

It terminated and turned in MOT, which is why it was in disruption status.

Back