Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak route with least amount of support?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Which Amtrak train's disappearance would cause the least amount of unhappy people? This would be route that has very little support from, well, anyone. I propose the Sunset Limited. Do any of the states along the route actually care about it?

#2 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

My vote is either the NEC north or Boston leg of the LSL.  Maybe the Downeaster.  

#3 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

The city of New Orleans doesn't get much support.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#4 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

My vote is either the NEC north or Boston leg of the LSL.  Maybe the Downeaster.  

But Maine cares enough to support the Downeaster. Sure, NH does not give a crap about the route.

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

Gotta agree that the Sunset Ltd. Is #1 on the No Love list!

That's why a Daily Texas Eagle CHI-LAX with the proposed SAS-NOL stub train ( timed to connect with the Crescent and CONO) makes the most sense.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 06 April 2018 - 04:15 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

This is kind of a silly endeavor. What do you mean by "least support?" Ridership? Political backing in the form of state subsidies? Groups that support the train? Railfans? I don't get the concept. 

#7 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

This is kind of a silly endeavor. What do you mean by "least support?" Ridership? Political backing in the form of state subsidies? Groups that support the train? Railfans? I don't get the concept. 

Do people along the route care about the train? Do local politicians come out in support of the train? 

#8 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hard to care about a non daily train. However the other day I was talking to a random fuel desk clerk, and she knew were the train station was and the days & time the train visit. Yet never has been on the train. Seem to be a common issue. I have taken to bring up Amtrak during regular discussion, and find it surprising how many people are aware of the trains but yet to ride themselves.

Dont know what the point of this thread is. Ever community has a interest in there train. But limited funds and local politics will limited any measure of support. Any mayor who does know there a train station in town, probably should not be in office. At the very least the train travel across a community is a Emergency Manager Issue. Got to prepare for derailment and a extra 300 people in your community needed help at 2am.
  • daybeers and cpotisch like this

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

You really don't like New England, do you?

Edited by cpotisch, 06 April 2018 - 07:40 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:07 PM

Gotta agree that the Sunset Ltd. Is #1 on the No Love list!

That's why a Daily Texas Eagle CHI-LAX with the proposed SAS-NOL stub train ( timed to connect with the Crescent and CONO) makes the most sense.

I'm trying to remember: Would the stub train have through-cars onto the Eagle, or would passengers have to change trains?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#11 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

I'm trying to remember: Would the stub train have through-cars onto the Eagle, or would passengers have to change trains?

Nothing set in stone.  Once it became apparent that Nippon (NS ) delivery of bi-levels was not going to happen plans became uncertain.  Originally a Daily Eagle to LAX with Super liners. A daily connecting train of single levels at SAS to NOL.  Now Amtrak has absolutely no idea what long range plans to make.  Once delivery and acceptances of Siemens cars is assured the plans not only for this service but who know what else national plans ?  Politics are also   the 800 pound bear as well.

If congress keeps the present level of funding for LD trains ( FY 2018 ) then all bets are off ?

Edited by west point, 07 April 2018 - 08:01 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

#12 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

UP would not cooperate with a daily TE to LAX by demanding a massive amount of money up front.

• cpotisch likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users