Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Ga. Crossing arm keeps truck from moving -- Hit by train

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:20 AM

I'd like to thin that there was enough torque in a truck to overcome a crossing arm that got stuck in it.

Better to break up a crossing arm than have your truck hit...

Edited by Rover, 04 April 2018 - 02:21 AM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#2 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:01 AM

I'm not positive, but I believe the truck got stuck on the tracks because of the "hump", I don't believe it was the fault of the crossing arm.  

Note the sign at about the 0:10 mark that says "No Trucks".

#3 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:15 AM

I'm not positive, but I believe the truck got stuck on the tracks because of the "hump", I don't believe it was the fault of the crossing arm.  

Yes, and I believe the crossing arms will somewhat easily "break-away"

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#4 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

Yep. Looked like the trailer the truck was pulling got 'high centered' on the tracks.

1963 U. S. Congress - underground trolley system Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) Old Tucson steam train (1969)
Amtrak - California Zephyr Coast Starlight  Southwest Chief Sunset Limited Texas Eagle  Illinois Zephyr
. . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far. 7,320 more miles booked OTM - OKJ - EMY - OTM March 2018.

#5 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

Yes, and I believe the crossing arms will somewhat easily "break-away"

Yes, I see that now. Of course, I was just repeating what knowledgeable news station said.

Thanks for your input!

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#6 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,473 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:27 AM

Looking at the video, there was probably more damage to the train from flat spots on wheels than from the truck (which seems to have split in half pretty nicely, and not derailed the train).  I agree that it looks like it got "high centered" and stranded accordingly.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

As someone who has spent two semesters on the signal gang as part of an internship I can speak to the topic.

All gates that we worked with are designed to be driven thru to let someone out of a crossing in case they are stuck. Most with a hinge like device now it'll still probably damage your car somewhat. But a truck or a bus should have no real problem with it.

Also please don't try at home folks.
  • FrensicPic likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users