Amtrak Snack Bar Coach Found In Rhode Island

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, the car is located about 75 yards South of Knight St. in Warwick at Google Earth coordinates 41°43'38.01" N and 71°28'02.47" W.

Warwick RI.jpg

Gosh, I hope and pray it's OK to use Google Earth as a reference.
default_unsure.png

Would Amtrak have records of to whom it was sold, in the late 1970's?

Going back just a bit further, who would Amtrak have purchased this car from back in 1973; two years after it was formed?

Most likely Penn Central. In the video you can see a very faded "York" on the letter board. So it was probably a former New York Central car. Due to PC's bankruptcy it took some time to sort out the cars that Amtrak wanted to purchase and for the first year or two they leased many of the cars from PC.

1960 notes the reporter, we'll I guess "close enough for news media work".

According to Wayner, the car was delivered as a Coach to New York Central from Pullman Standard during 1946 and was part of a 153 car order. As part of Central's later 60's Empire Service initiative, the car became a Snack Bar Coach. 1973 was it's likely Amtrak acquisition date, as was the 1977 retirement date noted.

Let's be honest, Larry Silverstein (of 9/11 fame/notoriety) is looking to develop the property and path of least resistance is to cut it up and haul it away.

Last edited by a moderator:
railiner--

Looks like it found its twin!
default_smile.png
Although, to be fair, the one showed in your post is in north Jersey, not south Jersey.

While we're looking for old rusty diners, maybe we should track down the abandoned luncheonette (Hall and Oates), which is still rusting away somewhere in rural PA, and put together a whole diner complex!

Last edited by a moderator:
Silverstein has not been a bad developer in NYC. When the PA wanted a bundle of cash, he stepped up and made the deal. All of a sudden 9-11 happens and he doesn't want to roll over so the politicians can make themselves look good by trying to cater to everyone. He wanted what he paid for. His money was good enough when they they wanted to cash out of the twin losers, after the tragedy, the PA and every other gov't group that thought it could make itself look good wanted control so their tune on who would control development planning changed.

railiner--

Looks like it found its twin!
default_smile.png
Although, to be fair, the one showed in your post is in north Jersey, not south Jersey.

While we're looking for old rusty diners, maybe we should track down the abandoned luncheonette (Hall and Oates), which is still rusting away somewhere in rural PA, and put together a whole diner complex!
It's actually in Phillipsburg, on the old Bel-Del Line, next to the "free bridge" to Easton...

I like your idea...I am also a fan of real, factory built diner's....

Back