Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Chefs being removed off Capitol Limited

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

#141 Reno89502

Reno89502

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, and more Trains!!!!!

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

Other than 66/67, are there any other trains currently w/o any sleepers at all where an option like this is desperately needed? Does anyone see any way that sleepers would get added back to 66/67 once the next VLII order is completed?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I could see this option as a good ad-on to a few of the other NE Corridor trains, such as any of the ones that depart NYP, WAS or BOS between 3am and 6am.  Also the Auto Train, and maybe even the Palmetto, due to its 15 hour run.

#142 Reno89502

Reno89502

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, and more Trains!!!!!

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

I can almost guarantee you that Amtrak wouldn't add a new type of car for just one (relatively) short round-trip per day (i.e. 66/67).

As for the other trains, as has been noted, the seats appear to take up as much (or almost as much) room as a roomette.  Amtrak is also unlikely to be buying new seats and retrofitting them onto 30-year-old (or 40-year old) cars.

All of the Amfleet 1's are getting a refresh with new seats, restrooms and remodeled Cafe cars as we speak.  Not as fancy as lie-flat beads, but it's a start.

Edited by Reno89502, 12 April 2018 - 11:24 PM.

#143 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

Reading fliers comment on the lie flat seating, it appears there are some better than others.  The more recliner type flat seat seamed to be preferred for resting and for some sleep with an angle and rise for the legs.  Length wise it seems that 7 feet in length is needed and a couple feet plus in width.  So how many could Amtrak fit into a BC 2+1 configuration? 10 rows of 3? 30 seats?  Would a dedicated BC Attendant be required to service this car before, during, after?  To me marketing could really hit the Business travelers going from BOS to WAS with skip the airport hassle and security, get some rest after finish your repoorts, freshen up with a hot cup of coffee as arrive WAS, be at your 8:00 AM fresh ready to do business.

#144 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

I can almost guarantee you that Amtrak wouldn't add a new type of car for just one (relatively) short round-trip per day (i.e. 66/67).

As for the other trains, as has been noted, the seats appear to take up as much (or almost as much) room as a roomette.  Amtrak is also unlikely to be buying new seats and retrofitting them onto 30-year-old (or 40-year old) cars.

All of the Amfleet 1's are getting a refresh with new seats, restrooms and remodeled Cafe cars as we speak.  Not as fancy as lie-flat beads, but it's a start.

No. They are getting new seat cushions, carpets, and LED lights. The seat structure is exactly the same. That’s how they’re able to do it for so cheap per car and complete a car during an overnight stop.

I haven’t heard anything about “remodeled cafes” so perhaps you can give me some details.
Posted Image

#145 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Shows the state of our minds. Must be very few places in the world that gets this excited about new seat cushions, and starts seeing them as all brand new seats! Is it nicer to have new seat cushions and carpets? Of course! But the level of excitement and anticipation about it is somewhat amazing.

Edited by jis, 13 April 2018 - 09:37 AM.

• AmtrakBlue, Seaboard92 and cpotisch like this

#146 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

Refresh is precisely the term Amtrak is using, and restrooms (particularly floor replacement) and cafe cars are included, but the emphasis was on seat cushions and covers, and carpet first. 

The refresh will take approximately nine months to complete and customers can expect a progression of upgrades during that time, with the approximate delivery schedule:

Fall 2017: Installation of Business Class carpets and cushions, Coach Class carpets and cushions, LED lighting, upgraded restrooms.
Winter 2017: Continued installation of carpets, cushions, and LED lighting. First installations of Business Class curtains, refreshed wainscoting and bulkhead, and refreshed café cars.
Spring & Summer 2018: Final installations of all items.

The car interiors look better, are a bit more comfortable since the cushions are new, the big question is how long will they be kept up? 

#147 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:07 PM

so are the chefs being removed from the CL or not?

• Palmetto and daybeers like this

#148 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

Just rumor right now.  

#149 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

It is one of the many things  under "consideration as a plan leading to the sustainability of long distance service"  is being planned.  :blink:

I'd expect more information towards the beginning of summer but I'm personally hoping for the long distance vision to emerge prior to May.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 15 April 2018 - 03:32 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#150 philabos

philabos

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Just did a round trip to New York this weekend, refurbished Amfleet both ways.
Seats very nice. Also installed new water faucets in rest rooms which actually work instead of the former trickle type.
  • cpotisch likes this

#151 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

Just did a round trip to New York this weekend, refurbished Amfleet both ways.
Seats very nice. Also installed new water faucets in rest rooms which actually work instead of the former trickle type.

That's good to hear! However, I think this belongs in the Amfleet I Interior Refresh thread.

• Palmetto likes this

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,881 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (27), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~870 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#152 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

It is one of the many things  under "consideration as a plan leading to the sustainability of long distance service"  is being planned.  :blink:

I'd expect more information towards the beginning of summer but I'm personally hoping for the long distance vision to emerge prior to May.

I know most of us are anxious to understand what Anderson's vision is for LD, getting that in a few weeks will be great.

#153 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

I've seen food quality and staffing come and go (the bob evans breakfast scramble!). What I have not seen is whole trains come and go. No LD train has ever come back. 

We can lose chefs, we can lose whole dining cars. I'm just hoping we don't lose trains. If #1 goal is to cut losses... the #1 goal is going to be to cut the major losers like the Sunset. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#154 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:26 AM

Once you start cutting, like the Sunset, next you cut the TE back since three days you do not have two cars of through passengers.  Once the eliminations start rolling out, the effect will be easy justification for other routes that are money losers.  Now Anderson might tell his management staff, list any train that is losing money in the elimination list, the profitable on the keep list, so what is left?

Personally, my train travels would be seriously curtailed if the Sunset was eliminated, unless it was a trade for a daily TE.

#155 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:56 AM

Once you start cutting, like the Sunset, next you cut the TE back since three days you do not have two cars of through passengers.  Once the eliminations start rolling out, the effect will be easy justification for other routes that are money losers.  Now Anderson might tell his management staff, list any train that is losing money in the elimination list, the profitable on the keep list, so what is left?

Personally, my train travels would be seriously curtailed if the Sunset was eliminated, unless it was a trade for a daily TE.

If you "trade the Sunset for a daily TE" you are then killing off NOL-SAS which includes HOS and keeping SAS-LAX. I couldn't imagine Houston without Amtrak train service. I'd almost rather keep that part of the SL and get rid of the rest of it, it would be way cheaper, 573 of 1995 miles, and you could combine it into the Crescent.

Technically if you merged NOL-SAS into the Crescent and SAS-LAX into the TE you could "kill the SL" without removing service to any stops along the route. The difference is passengers would have to transfer at SAS (close to if not after midnight) to travel from anywhere west of SAS to/from anywhere east of SAS and if the SL PRIIA were to be implemented they would have to anyway. On the other hand, you might be able to have a one seat ride from the east coast to Houston/San Antonio. 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#156 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

Extending two trains to eliminate one, benefits most except the East West travelers. You would still use about the same amount of crew and equipment, just allocated differently. Of course nothing is changing for the better with UP being the huge boulder blocking the path.

#157 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,047 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

Amtrak speaks:

https://media.amtrak...-amtrak-routes/

Press Release in its entirety:

Capitol Limited and lake Shore Limited sleeping car customers to be offered fresh choices for meals this summer
WASHINGTON – Amtrak will offer contemporary and fresh dining choices for sleeping car customers, instead of traditional dining car service, embarking aboard its Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited trains starting June 1.
Sleeping car customers will choose meals delivered to their Bedrooms or Roomettes – or eaten in a private café or lounge car – and entrees such as:
Lunch & Dinner: Chilled beef tenderloin, Vegan wrap, Chicken Caesar salad, or Turkey club sandwich.
Breakfast: Assorted breakfast breads with butter, cream cheese and strawberry jam; Greek yogurt and sliced seasonal fresh fruit plate.
These meals will continue to be included in the sleeping car fare and are delivered to the trains just prior to origination, eliminating on-board preparation. Customers will also be offered unlimited soft beverages, a complimentary serving of beer, wine or a mixed-drink and an amenity kit. A Kosher meal continues to be available with advance notice.
“Our plan is to provide new and fresh food choices in a contemporary way for these overnight trains,” said Bob Dorsch, Vice President of the Amtrak Long Distance Service Line. “Our continued success depends on increasing customer satisfaction while becoming more efficient.”
Dorsch said this enhancement will continue to be refined and we look forward to hearing from our customers.
The Capitol Limited (Trains 29 & 30) operates daily between Washington, D.C., and Chicago, via Pittsburgh and Cleveland. The Lake Shore Limited (Trains 48 & 49) typically operates daily between Chicago and New York, with a section to and from Boston (Trains 448 & 449).
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#158 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,898 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Amtrak speaks:

Capitol Limited and lake Shore Limited sleeping car customers to be offered fresh choices for meals this summer
WASHINGTON – Amtrak will offer contemporary and fresh dining choices for sleeping car customers, instead of traditional dining car service, embarking aboard its Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited trains starting June 1.
Sleeping car customers will choose meals delivered to their Bedrooms or Roomettes – or eaten in a private café or lounge car – and entrees such as:
Lunch & Dinner: Chilled beef tenderloin, Vegan wrap, Chicken Caesar salad, or Turkey club sandwich.
Breakfast: Assorted breakfast breads with butter, cream cheese and strawberry jam; Greek yogurt and sliced seasonal fresh fruit plate.
These meals will continue to be included in the sleeping car fare and are delivered to the trains just prior to origination, eliminating on-board preparation. Customers will also be offered unlimited soft beverages, a complimentary serving of beer, wine or a mixed-drink and an amenity kit. A Kosher meal continues to be available with advance notice.
“Our plan is to provide new and fresh food choices in a contemporary way for these overnight trains,” said Bob Dorsch, Vice President of the Amtrak Long Distance Service Line. “Our continued success depends on increasing customer satisfaction while becoming more efficient.”
Dorsch said this enhancement will continue to be refined and we look forward to hearing from our customers.
The Capitol Limited (Trains 29 & 30) operates daily between Washington, D.C., and Chicago, via Pittsburgh and Cleveland. The Lake Shore Limited (Trains 48 & 49) typically operates daily between Chicago and New York, with a section to and from Boston (Trains 448 & 449).

Wow!

#159 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Amtrak speaks:

Amtrak speaks:

Wow!

Sounds like the Empire Builder PDX segment type meals but with some great enhancements with the beverage including alcohol. I wonder what it means by "private cafe or lounge car." A dedicated facility for sleeping car passengers or kick out all non sleeping car passengers during meal hours.

17432538604_4af2b56bd2_c.jpg

Edited by seat38a, 19 April 2018 - 11:41 AM.

#160 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Actually it does sound and look verygood!😎

But "AmAir" continues unabated rushing forward with their "Me too!" Business Model!

Wonder which Am Micro Manager Critter on the Hill will be the first to attack Amtrak for the "Waste" that is the new V Diners parked in Florida while the disliked AmCafes and Diner Lites continue slinging the AmChow??

Edited by Bob Dylan, 19 April 2018 - 11:43 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users