Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

No more charters & special moves: 3/28 Memo fr Anderson

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#181 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,212 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

Communications connector. Think PA system.

Do any privates have those? I've never heard the LSA when riding in a private. Thankfully! Ha.

Similar to the MU connector. They would typically be just pass-through, if they are there.

#182 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Richard Anderson has screwed the pooch.. And ticked off the entire railfanning community. The Pennsylvania Railroad Technical Society had planned a trip with exclusively PV and Bennett Levin's E8's. To and From Altoona. That trip is now cancelled. #FireRichardAnderson

http://www.prrths.com/conventions/Cancelled_trip_letter.pdf 

The link isn't working.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#183 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

"Actually, they aren't typically testing the brakes. They are testing the back up hose/valve or the emergency valve to make sure if an emergency occurs, the train can be stopped A.S.A.P."

Ah yes!!! I remember hearing the air dump whenever I ride the Carbondale trains before the back up move.

On the shortline where I worked, we just tapped the back up whistle to make sure it had air.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#184 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

Do any privates have those? I've never heard the LSA when riding in a private. Thankfully! Ha.

Similar to the MU connector. They would typically be just pass-through, if they are there.

Wait... Is it a PA line... Or MU line?

Do privates typically have either?

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#185 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

Wait... Is it a PA line... Or MU line?

Do privates typically have either?

I was thinking MU line, but I think it is called the Comm Line. Someone like Thirdrail may be able to provide the right terminology.

Seaboard mentioned that he know several PV that have pass throughs when this was brought up elsewhere.

#186 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

www.prrths.com/conventions/Cancelled_trip_letter.pdf

To the members of the PRR T&HS, and all the riders on the
Pennsylvania Inspection Trip to Altoona.
It is with deepest regret and sorrow to inform all that despite the
tremendous effort on the part of Bennett Levin, who I am forever
grateful, Amtrak has decided not to honor the agreement that we
already had with them.
I will contact every rider who paid to ride this train by phone, and
return all funds that were sent to the society for the trip.
A huge amount of time, money and effort has been spent putting this
trip together on the part of Mr Levin, the PRR T&HS, and myself. This
is definitely not the last that will be said about all of this
, and my
sincere apologies to those who made their plans and reservations to
be a part of our 50th annual meeting celebration, and will not be
attending due to the trip cancellation, especially those from outside
the US. I hope that even though this train will not be running, you still
may consider coming to Altoona to experience the railroad history out
there, along with what our society has planned for those 4 days.
Thank you,
Steve Staffieri
Pres PRR T&HS

Oooph. "This is definitely not the last that will be said about all of this" doesn't sound good.  It isn't the railfan community I'd be concerned about ticking off. I'd be concerned about ticking off the Altoona representatives and the Pennsylvania legislature.  Impacting their economies is a recipe for retaliation.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 21 April 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#187 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

Gotcha... I could see privates needing to have an MU line installed.

That moves to another question... Are MU lines always hooked up on Amtrak trains, just in case they are needed? Obviously they aren't typically used on a LD train.

#188 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

I don't believe all Amtrak LD cars are even equipped with MU lines. I know they were not hooked up on the Silver Meteor last Saturday. Again Thirdrail can probably provide facts rather than anecdotes.

#189 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

I don't believe all Amtrak LD cars are even equipped with MU lines. I know they were not hooked up on the Silver Meteor last Saturday. Again Thirdrail can probably provide facts rather than anecdotes.

Let me help you out. Typically, when adding equipment, you'll make the following connections.

Air system:

Brake pipe

Main reservoir

Electrical system:

480 volt cables (4 cables-typically used for HEP and trainline power supply)

Communication cable(1 cable-typically for communication systems, on board detection systems, doors and other low voltage systems)

On push pull equipment

All of the above plus the propulsion cable that will travel the length of the train.

MU cables are typically used between two engines.

#190 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

Thirdrail, Thanks! I am never sure about the exact terminology, since it is far removed from day to day things that I do.

#191 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:51 AM

The phrase "decided not to honor the agreement that we already had with them" is a pretty nasty warning sign. If correct, well, it's one thing to refuse deals in the future, it's another to cancel deals already made; that causes lawsuits for damages. Politicians ain't gonna be happy either.

I am beginning to think Mr. Anderson is an idiot. I could make better decisions than this, even if I had essentially the same agenda.
  • Thirdrail7 likes this
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#192 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted Yesterday, 07:45 AM

Some PVs have a pass thru MU. The one I'm currently working (like right now) has a pass thru MU. And our sister car were installing it next month.

We took fifteen minutes to add it today but only five minutes late at the next stop. We didn't delay the train to serious. Should be ontime by Next station
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#193 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 PM

. Politicians ain't gonna be happy either.

This is a concern...and long after he is gone, we'll still have to deal with the fallout.

#194 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

The only reason New River is likely to run this year will be because they successfully got congress involved. And I highly recommend other operators especially Leavenworth Snow Train to consider knowing what I know they would lose 50k at the current rate.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users