Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Delta Airlines - Are They REALLY Better?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

That was sort of the point I made a while ago. Each of us tends to look at an airline colored by our own experiences. Delta has a bunch of old planes, including lots of legacy NW domestic aircraft that were pretty spartan, and used 717 and MD-90 they have acquired (actually, a 717 is a big step up from an RJ). On the other hand, their very new A-321 (about 45 in service) are set up pretty nicely with 4 lavs (FC, mid cabin, 2 rear) decnt IFE and both 31 and 34" coach pitch offerings) The old Pan-Am Terminal (T-3) was a dump, but they spent a ton extending T-4 and are renovating T-2 and have billion dollar project underway at LaGuardia and close to a 2 billion dollar project at LAX.  But like the other majors, many of the flights under their brand (especially to smaller cities or non focus markets) are actually flown by regional affiliates or contract carriers.

• cpotisch likes this

#42 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

When I mentioned AA, I was talking about it, back before deregulation, a whole different company, from what you have today....but then so were all the other's.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#43 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

When I mentioned AA, I was talking about it, back before deregulation, a whole different company, from what you have today....but then so were all the other's.... ;)

Ah, the sweet era of deregulation, when airlines had to get permission to fly nonstop interstate routers, there were far fewer routes and flights, actually much less competition (despite the number of carriers being higher), and fares were many times as expensive as they are today. But at least folks got a free microwave TV dinner, amirite?
  • Ryan likes this
Posted Image

#44 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

Ah, the sweet era of deregulation, when airlines had to get permission to fly nonstop interstate routers, there were far fewer routes and flights, actually much less competition (despite the number of carriers being higher), and fares were many times as expensive as they are today. But at least folks got a free microwave TV dinner, amirite?

I guess you meant to say in the era of regulation...I agree with a lot of what you pointed out, but having enjoyed flying back in that era, all I can say is ....it worked for me. :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#45 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

Indeed, meant regulation, not deregulation.

Posted Image

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,931 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Indeed, meant regulation, not deregulation.

Or pre-deregulation as the case may be, since even now there are regulations, but much much less onerous than they used to be pre-deregulation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users