Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Delta Airlines - Are They REALLY Better?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

That was sort of the point I made a while ago. Each of us tends to look at an airline colored by our own experiences. Delta has a bunch of old planes, including lots of legacy NW domestic aircraft that were pretty spartan, and used 717 and MD-90 they have acquired (actually, a 717 is a big step up from an RJ). On the other hand, their very new A-321 (about 45 in service) are set up pretty nicely with 4 lavs (FC, mid cabin, 2 rear) decnt IFE and both 31 and 34" coach pitch offerings) The old Pan-Am Terminal (T-3) was a dump, but they spent a ton extending T-4 and are renovating T-2 and have billion dollar project underway at LaGuardia and close to a 2 billion dollar project at LAX.  But like the other majors, many of the flights under their brand (especially to smaller cities or non focus markets) are actually flown by regional affiliates or contract carriers.

• cpotisch likes this

#42 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

When I mentioned AA, I was talking about it, back before deregulation, a whole different company, from what you have today....but then so were all the other's.... ;)

• jis likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#43 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

When I mentioned AA, I was talking about it, back before deregulation, a whole different company, from what you have today....but then so were all the other's.... ;)

Ah, the sweet era of deregulation, when airlines had to get permission to fly nonstop interstate routers, there were far fewer routes and flights, actually much less competition (despite the number of carriers being higher), and fares were many times as expensive as they are today. But at least folks got a free microwave TV dinner, amirite?
  • Ryan likes this
Posted Image

#44 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

Ah, the sweet era of deregulation, when airlines had to get permission to fly nonstop interstate routers, there were far fewer routes and flights, actually much less competition (despite the number of carriers being higher), and fares were many times as expensive as they are today. But at least folks got a free microwave TV dinner, amirite?

I guess you meant to say in the era of regulation...I agree with a lot of what you pointed out, but having enjoyed flying back in that era, all I can say is ....it worked for me. :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#45 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:18 AM

Indeed, meant regulation, not deregulation.

Posted Image

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:42 AM

Indeed, meant regulation, not deregulation.

Or pre-deregulation as the case may be, since even now there are regulations, but much much less onerous than they used to be pre-deregulation.

#47 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'm sure my former neighbor "bids away" from any flight I'd be on - even though all she can presently hold is Coach, and I fly Business.

But somehow I think she "tips them off" when I go, for I have always had exemplary service flying to Munich on United - the elderly gentleman in 6A is addressed by name.

Lest we forget, all airlines, like railroads, work on a seniority system; so not very likely "the girl next door" who hired on yesterday will be on an International flight (oh, maybe if she is on Reserve and gets lucky). Lufthansa has been around as long as has United, so likely their Attendants' age demographic will be similar.

Now possibly the "younger airlines" have a different demographic. My Sister, who has been to Australia twice in as many years (my Niece, her Daughter, lives down there), once on Qantas, and once on American/Virgin Australia. She noted to me the Attendants on Virgin appeared much younger than those on Qantas. She is off again next January - on who I don't know. Maybe she will decide it's time to "fly US" and go on either Delta or United.

#48 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

Having flown since the 50s when "Stews" ( right out of "Madmen")were Stepford Wifed,I much prefer to be served by Expierenced,Mature Vets instead of the "Gold Digger/Party Girls" of the 60s and 70s looking for a Rich Sugar Daddy or Husband!(Sexist that I am!😁)

Good Customer Service is the name of the Game. YMMV
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

Having flown since the 50s when "Stews" ( right out of "Madmen")were Stepford Wifed,I much prefer to be served by Expierenced,Mature Vets instead of the "Gold Digger/Party Girls" of the 60s and 70s looking for a Rich Sugar Daddy or Husband!(Sexist that I am!)

I don’t worry about the age. The tendency towards not so good customer service on the US carriers even when compared to the likes of LH bugs me. Of late I notice some are trying to fix that, but culture once screwed up, takes time to fix.

#50 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:06 AM

Having flown since the 50s when "Stews" ( right out of "Madmen")were Stepford Wifed,I much prefer to be served by Expierenced,Mature Vets instead of the "Gold Digger/Party Girls" of the 60s and 70s looking for a Rich Sugar Daddy or Husband!(Sexist that I am!)

Ahhh....I pine for the "Coffee, Tea, or Me" days....used to have a "crush" on AA poster girl, Patty Poulsen....

Sorry if my "neanderthal" attitude is politically incorrect, and I don't mean to offend anyone...

That said, they were 'eye-candy', and yet provided superb customer service at the same time, serving full meals to all in coach on a two hour flight... :cool:  :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#51 GBNorman

GBNorman

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:51 AM

For most people the position of flight attendant is a side trip or stepping stone on the way to something else.

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl".

But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

Edited by GBNorman, 02 October 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

For most people the position of flight attendant is a side trip or stepping stone on the way to something else.

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl".

But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

I think that what he said is actually more true than it ever was. 60 years ago, air travel was glamorous and comfortable, and the onboard staff were crucial to that. Now I would say that most flight attendants are really there to just bring people snacks and deal with unruly passengers.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#53 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:56 AM

Actually then, and now....the primary job of a flight attendant is passenger safety.   They spend a lot more time in their flight academy, training on emergency procedure's, than anything else...

They have to be FAA certified to attain and hold their position, and unlike railroad train attendant's, they are governed by "hours of service" regulation's.

• jis, Pere Flyer and cpotisch like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#54 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl". But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

I think that what he said is actually more true than it ever was. 60 years ago, air travel was glamorous and comfortable, and the onboard staff were crucial to that. Now I would say that most flight attendants are really there to just bring people snacks and deal with unruly passengers.

Where's the original post he partially quoted?  It wasn't partisan or political.  It didn't break any definable rules. The way this forum has quietly devolved into opaque shadow moderating to enforce arbitrary restrictions and revisionist history is really disconcerting.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 02 October 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#55 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,168 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl". But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

Where's the original post he partially quoted?  It wasn't partisan or political.  It didn't break any definable rules. The way this forum has quietly devolved into opaque shadow moderating to enforce arbitrary restrictions and revisionist history is really disconcerting.

The original post removed due to being sexist and in violation of the site rules requiring posting, "in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner."

• AmtrakBlue and cpotisch like this

#56 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

Posts have been hidden discussing moderation policy. While the concerns have been noted, our rules do state that moderation issues/suggestions should be brought to us via PM. Since it's also off-topic, the posts have been hidden.

• cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users