Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Delta Airlines - Are They REALLY Better?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 The Journalist

The Journalist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, bacon, mass transit

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Delta seems the most "put together" of the major airlines-they apparently have the lowest delay rate (in spite of having the oldest fleet-go figure), their app is better than anyone else's, and their overbook strategy is nice-they have you "bid" on being bumped at checkin if they think there's a chance of the flight being overbooked rather than waiting for the gate. In practice, most of my air travel is on Southwest as something like half of the flights out of my airport are by them. JetBlue is probably the best domestic airline I've flown on-more legroom!-but they don't go many places on west coast. They amusingly fly out of my airport's gate B6, which the airport confirmed on Twitter was intentional.

Tell me, have you seen the marvelous breadfish?

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

Spirit isn't to bad...

In what way? The cramped seat pitch, the nickel and dime pricing schemes, or the lousy service standards? Spirit is a joke of an airline and I'm glad they were sent packing from my home airport. Normally I'm a fan of competition but in the case of Spirit all I can say is good riddance.

WN is no use because they don't fly international (and have no international rewards).

Southwest has been flying internationally for a few years now. I flew them nonstop to Mexico last year without incident.  Shaved at least three hours off the next fastest airline.  They're mainly focused on Caribbean travel but Europe may be in the cards at some point.  Alternatively they may simply resume international connections and/or code sharing with another foreign carrier some day.

DL not really useful geographically and their rewards program is probably even worse. Also, the planes that they'll have with Premium Economy won't have Economy+ (or whatever they call it) and wouldn't let mid-tier elites choose complimentary because Premium Economy is a separate class. So overall I'm going to stick with AA and their A321s.

What points chasers hate about Delta is part of what I enjoy about them. Namely, that they appreciate my cold hard cash a lot more than a bunch of silly monkey points.  Good for revenue travelers but bad for bargain hunting loyalists.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 27 March 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#23 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

I pity the people who live in places JetBlue doesn't go.

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

#24 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

Spirit isn't to bad...

In what way? The cramped seat pitch, the nickel and dime pricing schemes, or the lousy service standards? Spirit is a joke of an airline and I'm glad they were sent packing from my home airport. Normally I'm a fan of competition but in the case of Spirit all I can say is good riddance.

In the fact that I have to pay hardly anything ($25) on a buddy pass (aka I have a friend who works for them & get me cheap cheap flights) and being on said pass you get better service than on any mainline airline coach, no nickel & dimeing (still have to pay for alcohol, but that's it; even free checked bags). The 2 big down sides I see have is that fact that you are flying standby & they don't really fly anywhere I regularly fly to.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#25 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

I too don't mind Spirit. You get what you pay for. As long as you keep that in mind you'll not have a problem. I've flown ATL-LAX-PDX with them all on one plane. Wasn't bad.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#26 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

WN is no use because they don't fly international (and have no international rewards).

Southwest has been flying internationally for a few years now. I flew them nonstop to Mexico last year without incident.  Shaved at least three hours off the next fastest airline.  They're mainly focused on Caribbean travel but Europe may be in the cards at some point.  Alternatively they may simply resume international connections and/or code sharing with another foreign carrier some day.

DL not really useful geographically and their rewards program is probably even worse. Also, the planes that they'll have with Premium Economy won't have Economy+ (or whatever they call it) and wouldn't let mid-tier elites choose complimentary because Premium Economy is a separate class. So overall I'm going to stick with AA and their A321s.

What points chasers hate about Delta is part of what I enjoy about them. Namely, that they appreciate my cold hard cash a lot more than a bunch of silly monkey points.  Good for revenue travelers but bad for bargain hunting loyalists.

My bad, by international I mean Asia. But I'm notorious for evading 737s as well.

I'm not necessarily a points chaser but there's geographic reasons I fly AA as well. However, I still prefer motorcoach travel over air.
MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067WK28

#27 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:37 AM

I generally stick with DL, but it has more to do with a flexible SDC policy and what has generally been the most affordable domestic F a week or two out from travel than anything.  Their partnership with Virgin Atlantic is also a big plus, and there are a number of reasonably affordable TCON lie-flat flights.

My limited experience with UA and AA actually gives the edge to UA on the balance of price and hard product (pulling a 787 LAX-IAH doesn't hurt, and neither does their partnership with Amtrak), though in some cases their hubs leave something to be desired (IAD in particular never thrills me).  AA is just about the definition of "meh", with their only edges being that they're in-alliance with BA and they actually serve PHF (which is nice once in a while).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#28 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

What you get in any discussion like this is a view from our seats. That's what matters to, or has been experienced by, each of us. But that is very variable by the cities we live in, travel to/from, and fare class we choose. Looking at hard numbers like % of flights delayed or cancelled, % of bags mishandled, and fed complaint ratios. Financial results matter, since ultimately, the airline works for its investors, not us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users