Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Delta Airlines - Are They REALLY Better?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 The Journalist

The Journalist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, bacon, mass transit

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Delta seems the most "put together" of the major airlines-they apparently have the lowest delay rate (in spite of having the oldest fleet-go figure), their app is better than anyone else's, and their overbook strategy is nice-they have you "bid" on being bumped at checkin if they think there's a chance of the flight being overbooked rather than waiting for the gate. In practice, most of my air travel is on Southwest as something like half of the flights out of my airport are by them. JetBlue is probably the best domestic airline I've flown on-more legroom!-but they don't go many places on west coast. They amusingly fly out of my airport's gate B6, which the airport confirmed on Twitter was intentional.

Tell me, have you seen the marvelous breadfish?

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

Spirit isn't to bad...

In what way? The cramped seat pitch, the nickel and dime pricing schemes, or the lousy service standards? Spirit is a joke of an airline and I'm glad they were sent packing from my home airport. Normally I'm a fan of competition but in the case of Spirit all I can say is good riddance.

WN is no use because they don't fly international (and have no international rewards).

Southwest has been flying internationally for a few years now. I flew them nonstop to Mexico last year without incident.  Shaved at least three hours off the next fastest airline.  They're mainly focused on Caribbean travel but Europe may be in the cards at some point.  Alternatively they may simply resume international connections and/or code sharing with another foreign carrier some day.

DL not really useful geographically and their rewards program is probably even worse. Also, the planes that they'll have with Premium Economy won't have Economy+ (or whatever they call it) and wouldn't let mid-tier elites choose complimentary because Premium Economy is a separate class. So overall I'm going to stick with AA and their A321s.

What points chasers hate about Delta is part of what I enjoy about them. Namely, that they appreciate my cold hard cash a lot more than a bunch of silly monkey points.  Good for revenue travelers but bad for bargain hunting loyalists.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 27 March 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#23 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

I pity the people who live in places JetBlue doesn't go.

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

#24 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

Spirit isn't to bad...

In what way? The cramped seat pitch, the nickel and dime pricing schemes, or the lousy service standards? Spirit is a joke of an airline and I'm glad they were sent packing from my home airport. Normally I'm a fan of competition but in the case of Spirit all I can say is good riddance.

In the fact that I have to pay hardly anything ($25) on a buddy pass (aka I have a friend who works for them & get me cheap cheap flights) and being on said pass you get better service than on any mainline airline coach, no nickel & dimeing (still have to pay for alcohol, but that's it; even free checked bags). The 2 big down sides I see have is that fact that you are flying standby & they don't really fly anywhere I regularly fly to.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#25 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

I too don't mind Spirit. You get what you pay for. As long as you keep that in mind you'll not have a problem. I've flown ATL-LAX-PDX with them all on one plane. Wasn't bad.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#26 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

WN is no use because they don't fly international (and have no international rewards).

Southwest has been flying internationally for a few years now. I flew them nonstop to Mexico last year without incident.  Shaved at least three hours off the next fastest airline.  They're mainly focused on Caribbean travel but Europe may be in the cards at some point.  Alternatively they may simply resume international connections and/or code sharing with another foreign carrier some day.

DL not really useful geographically and their rewards program is probably even worse. Also, the planes that they'll have with Premium Economy won't have Economy+ (or whatever they call it) and wouldn't let mid-tier elites choose complimentary because Premium Economy is a separate class. So overall I'm going to stick with AA and their A321s.

What points chasers hate about Delta is part of what I enjoy about them. Namely, that they appreciate my cold hard cash a lot more than a bunch of silly monkey points.  Good for revenue travelers but bad for bargain hunting loyalists.

My bad, by international I mean Asia. But I'm notorious for evading 737s as well.

I'm not necessarily a points chaser but there's geographic reasons I fly AA as well. However, I still prefer motorcoach travel over air.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#27 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,668 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:37 AM

I generally stick with DL, but it has more to do with a flexible SDC policy and what has generally been the most affordable domestic F a week or two out from travel than anything.  Their partnership with Virgin Atlantic is also a big plus, and there are a number of reasonably affordable TCON lie-flat flights.

My limited experience with UA and AA actually gives the edge to UA on the balance of price and hard product (pulling a 787 LAX-IAH doesn't hurt, and neither does their partnership with Amtrak), though in some cases their hubs leave something to be desired (IAD in particular never thrills me).  AA is just about the definition of "meh", with their only edges being that they're in-alliance with BA and they actually serve PHF (which is nice once in a while).

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#28 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

What you get in any discussion like this is a view from our seats. That's what matters to, or has been experienced by, each of us. But that is very variable by the cities we live in, travel to/from, and fare class we choose. Looking at hard numbers like % of flights delayed or cancelled, % of bags mishandled, and fed complaint ratios. Financial results matter, since ultimately, the airline works for its investors, not us.

#29 Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, ship travel, history, science, languages, old TV shows and commercials (pre-1970), American folk songs, and classic movies.

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:40 PM

I think in the 70s, 80s, and 90s that Delta was a superior carrier but not in the last decade.

I have traveled by train since 1956 in the USA (including Alaska), Canada (including the Yukon), Mexico, Western Europe, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and Zimbabwe.
My last pre-Amtrak trip was the Texas Chief from Ft. Worth to Chicago and the Capitol Limited from Chicago (Northwestern station) to Washington D.C.
I rode my first Amtrak train in April 1972. I have ridden nearly all the long-distance routes including the Texas Chief (Lone Star), Inter-American, Panama Limited, National Limited, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Spirit of California, Sunset Limited (Florida extension), Broadway Limited, and Chief. I also rode the Rio Grande Zephyr, Southern Crescent, Peoria Rocket, Georgia RR mixed train, and Soo Line mixed train in the post-Amtrak era.

#30 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:06 AM

I believe that prior to deregulation, AA was one of, if not the top domestic carriers, with innovations like 'Astrovision', standup bars in both coach and first class Jumbo's, the first computerized reservation system (Sabre), etc.   UAL, and TWA were up there, as well.   Internationally, I believe PAA set the standard....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#31 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Pan American World Airways did set the standard that the world followed. Supposedly their logo was the second most recognized American logo right after the coke company
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#32 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

You get what you pay for.

On any given aircraft there are dozens if not hundreds of potential prices for each ticket in a given cabin. Does the passenger that paid four times as much receive four times the service? Not in my experience they don't. People often assume that the reason some passengers pay much more is because they booked shortly before departure and/or when the plane was already nearly full, but some of my cheapest flights were last minute trips on packed aircraft. Some of my most expensive flights were booked several months in advance on mostly empty aircraft. Some of my flights have been even cheaper than bus and shuttle van service. I'm sure there's a reason for all of these counterintuitive situations but if there is a lazy rule of thumb I would never apply to airfare "get what you pay for" would probably be it.

Internationally, I believe PAA set the standard....

&

Pan American World Airways did set the standard that the world followed.

Maybe it's apples and oranges but when it comes to lasting worldwide standards in aviation I'd put the FAA far above PAA.

#33 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

The FAA sets safety standards, and others. Pan American set trends as far as female stewardesses, the jet age style, and don't forget their biggest legacy the 747. Juan Tripe wanted it and Boeing made it happen. So the legacy of pan American is still out there.

#34 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

I have always found Delta to be pretty subpar. It doesn't even hold a candle to jetBlue, and I feel like even American has often been nicer. :wacko:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#35 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

I had to fly from Cincinnati back home Sunday and noted that the choices for meals included a breakfast sandwich.

Apparently Delta can still provide a hot item!

#36 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:08 PM

Pan American set trends as far as female stewardesses, the jet age style, and don't forget their biggest legacy the 747. Juan Tripe wanted it and Boeing made it happen. So the legacy of pan American is still out there.

The world's first stewardess, was United Air Lines's Ellen Church, an RN., in 1930.   Prior to that trend setting appointment, all stewards or purser's were male.  

• SCbogey and Pere Flyer like this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#37 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

It's funny CPotish the airline I dislike flying the most is American. I often find their staff surly.

#38 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

It's funny CPotish the airline I dislike flying the most is American. I often find their staff surly.

One time I took a photo of the airshow map when a suddenly enraged American Airlines flight attendant started shouting at me.  She said I was not allowed to take any photos of the staff and that I had to delete the photo immediately.  I calmly listened to her and then politely explained that my camera was pointed directly at the AVOD screen, that it wasn't aimed anywhere near the staff, and that the field of view couldn't see around the seat in front of me. I then showed her the photo of the map so she could see what I was talking about with her own two eyes.  I honestly just assumed she'd quickly realize I hadn't run afoul of her rules and simply let it go.  Instead she changed her story to claim that all photos were banned on all American Airlines flights no matter the situation.  I knew this was not AA policy (at the time anyway), and it was clear that the flight attendant didn't have her facts straight, but it was equally clear she was itching for a fight.  She said that if I didn't delete the photo and put my camera away for the rest of the flight she'd have me arrested and all possessions confiscated on arrival.  That sounded completely ridiculous to me but it turns out that under US and international law there is very little in the way of practical legal recourse for passengers who are threatened with arrest by overbearing airline staff.  They can ruin your trip simply by claiming they felt you were being unsafe or uncooperative and go about their business while you sit in a little windowless room begging for your freedom.  That being said, I've witnessed similar experiences on all of the US legacies, so it's not just American Airlines that has surly staff looking for trouble.

• cpotisch likes this

#39 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

I don't like American either, but I've had consistently unpleasant experiences with Delta. YMMV.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#40 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

One time I took a photo of the airshow map when a suddenly enraged American Airlines flight attendant started shouting at me.  She said I was not allowed to take any photos of the staff and that I had to delete the photo immediately.  I calmly listened to her and then politely explained that my camera was pointed directly at the AVOD screen, that it wasn't aimed anywhere near the staff, and that the field of view couldn't see around the seat in front of me. I then showed her the photo of the map so she could see what I was talking about with her own two eyes.  I honestly just assumed she'd quickly realize I hadn't run afoul of her rules and simply let it go.  Instead she changed her story to claim that all photos were banned on all American Airlines flights no matter the situation.  I knew this was not AA policy (at the time anyway), and it was clear that the flight attendant didn't have her facts straight, but it was equally clear she was itching for a fight.  She said that if I didn't delete the photo and put my camera away for the rest of the flight she'd have me arrested and all possessions confiscated on arrival.  That sounded completely ridiculous to me but it turns out that under US and international law there is very little in the way of practical legal recourse for passengers who are threatened with arrest by overbearing airline staff.  They can ruin your trip simply by claiming they felt you were being unsafe or uncooperative and go about their business while you sit in a little windowless room begging for your freedom.  That being said, I've witnessed similar experiences on all of the US legacies, so it's not just American Airlines that has surly staff looking for trouble.

Yikes. That is patently absurd and pretty infuriating.

Edited by cpotisch, 26 June 2018 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users