Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak in Wyoming

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

The station in Cheyenne was not used by Amtrak.  Their trains ran via the Borie Cutoff, and stopped in Borie, west of Cheyenne.  I think there was a van shuttle to Cheyenne from there for interested passengers.  The Borie "station"  was basically a single platform on the track 1 side of the railroad.

The station in Cheyenne was used by Amtrak’s San Francisco Zephyr before they moved it to Borie. It used to involve a long backup move. Been there and done that. The move to Borie Amslab eliminated that backup move. There was an Ambus that connected Borie to Cheyenne.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I do not doubt that this was the case but what is puzzling is that Union Pacific freight trains routinely go past that station heading West. Also how did the 1940's/ 1950's trains stop at Cheyenne. I though that this was a station on a direct route West,

Those trains did not go via Denver. They took off west on the trans-continental from Julesburg, instead of going southwest to Denver. Only the City of Denver (and a few other Chicago - Denver service) went to Denver. Not the trains to the west of the Rockies.

Edited by jis, 27 March 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#22 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

The station in Cheyenne was not used by Amtrak.  Their trains ran via the Borie Cutoff, and stopped in Borie, west of Cheyenne.  I think there was a van shuttle to Cheyenne from there for interested passengers.  The Borie "station"  was basically a single platform on the track 1 side of the railroad.

The station in Cheyenne was used by Amtrak’s San Francisco Zephyr before they moved it to Borie. It used to involve a long backup move. Been there and done that. The move to Borie Amslab eliminated that backup move. There was an Ambus that connected Borie to Cheyenne.

I do not doubt that this was the case but what is puzzling is that Union Pacific freight trains routinely go past that station heading West. Also how did the 1940's/ 1950's trains stop at Cheyenne. I though that this was a station on a direct route West,

UP thru trains from Nebraska did not dip down into Denver.  Only the trains from Kansas went thru Denver....

Best illustrated if you look at a railway map....

Edited by railiner, 27 March 2018 - 08:47 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#23 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:10 AM

True about the UP trains, but the discussion is about Amtrak trains.

#24 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

The question from dlagrua was about trains in 1940/1950 though. As far as I recall there was no Amtrak then

#25 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Pennsylvanian and keystones ride backwards from New York to Philadelphia.

Depending on where you are sitting (on the Keystones), it is the Harrisburg-Philadelphia section that rides backwards...then you go forwards to New York. ;)

#26 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

Actually it depends more on which end the locomotive is sitting at rather than where an individual is sitting :D There are many ways to look at a situation ;)

#27 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

IIRC, on some equipment sets, they had half the car facing opposite ways, sort of the way they did it on last years Autumn Express.   So if there was room when the train changed directions at Philly, all you had to do was change seats.

(Was it the old heritage 'Clocker' cars that I recall?)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#28 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

IIRC, on some equipment sets, they had half the car facing opposite ways, sort of the way they did it on last years Autumn Express.   So if there was room when the train changed directions at Philly, all you had to do was change seats.

AFAIK all cars on Keystones have half the car facing one way and the other half the other way. That is how their consists are set up.

#29 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

AFAIK all cars on Keystones have half the car facing one way and the other half the other way. That is how their consists are set up.

That's my recollection.  I just changed to a forward-riding seat at Philly, IIRC.

#30 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:00 PM

Is it technically a "backup move" if the engineer is on the point of the move?  I'm inclined to say it isn't, so in almost all of the noted cases, trains weren't "backing up" but merely changed ends (even if the engines were run around).

Posted Image

#31 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

Is it technically a "backup move" if the engineer is on the point of the move?  I'm inclined to say it isn't, so in almost all of the noted cases, trains weren't "backing up" but merely changed ends (even if the engines were run around).

You are quite correct, as you stated, "technically" speaking.  But it's just semantics....for the passenger's who suddenly find themselves riding backwards, and were not aware that was going to happen....to them, they are going "backwards"....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#32 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

Will Amtrak ever be back to Wyoming? If so, how?

Unlikely. Here's why.

(1) The entire state of Wyoming has a smaller population than most metropolitan areas. It makes more sense financially for Amtrak to run a disconnected train from Columbus to Cincinnati than it does to run a train for the purpose of serving Wyoming.
(2) There is no political support for Amtrak from Wyoming's three politicians.

The only way Amtrak returns to Wyoming is if Wyoming is "on the way". Specifically if the current mountain route from Denver to Salt Lake becomes unusable. While it's also on the way from the Pacific NW to Denver, there isn't enough land traffic between those two areas to justify a train.

Frankly we're more likely to see service return to South Dakota, which has 50% more population than Wyoming, and that's pretty unlikely too.

I'm more interested in questions like "When will Amtrak return to Scranton?" The Scranton-Wilkes Barre-Hazelton metro area has a population about the same as the state of Wyoming.

Edited by neroden, 31 March 2018 - 09:59 PM.

• Philly Amtrak Fan likes this
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#33 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

I'm more interested in questions like "When will Amtrak return to Scranton?" The Scranton-Wilkes Barre-Hazelton metro area has a population about the same as the state of Wyoming.

I'm originally from Wilkes Barre. Fun fact: There is a Wyoming, Pennsylvania in the Wilkes Barre area:)

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#34 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

I'm originally from Wilkes Barre. Fun fact: There is a Wyoming, Pennsylvania in the Wilkes Barre area:)

We've got one in New York, too....the Empire line passes just to the north of it.... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#35 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

There is a Wyoming Borough in Luzerne County, and in addition there is a Wyoming County northwest of Scranton.

Of course it is impossible for Amtrak to “return” to Scranton since it has never been there with any commercial service in the first place. Only Amtrak Specials have shown up at Steamtown every so often.

#36 Anthony V

Anthony V

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

Unlikely. Here's why.

(1) The entire state of Wyoming has a smaller population than most metropolitan areas. It makes more sense financially for Amtrak to run a disconnected train from Columbus to Cincinnati than it does to run a train for the purpose of serving Wyoming.

The only way Amtrak returns to Wyoming is if Wyoming is "on the way". Specifically if the current mountain route from Denver to Salt Lake becomes unusable. While it's also on the way from the Pacific NW to Denver, there isn't enough land traffic between those two areas to justify a train.

Frankly we're more likely to see service return to South Dakota, which has 50% more population than Wyoming, and that's pretty unlikely too.

Reviving the Pioneer on the Overland Route would return service to Wyoming as well as fill in a major gap in the Amtrak system. Amtrak would just need to buy the necessary equipment to run the route.

#37 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

Unlikely. Here's why.

Reviving the Pioneer on the Overland Route would return service to Wyoming as well as fill in a major gap in the Amtrak system. Amtrak would just need to buy the necessary equipment to run the route.

You are correct...however, it would be far less costly to just run the Pioneer from Salt Lake City to Portland/Seattle, as it did originally.   That would still leave Wyoming without service, unfortunately.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#38 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

And it could be run as a Coach and Cafe train as it did originally

#39 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

Unlikely. Here's why.

You are correct...however, it would be far less costly to just run the Pioneer from Salt Lake City to Portland/Seattle, as it did originally.   That would still leave Wyoming without service, unfortunately.

Going through Wyoming is quicker however. 

#40 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

If you go through Wyoming, you still miss their largest city of Cheyenne, Plus would you still go down to SLC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users