Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak in Wyoming

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Will Amtrak ever be back to Wyoming? If so, how?

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Will Amtrak ever be back to Wyoming? If so, how?

Whenever the Zephyr is rerouted thru Wyoming as happens for trackwork,weather etc.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

There is such a demand for Denver through the mountains, the CZ will remain there.  But reroutes for track work will go through Wyoming with no passenger stops.

#4 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

And it's a detour unique in that it's faster than the regular route, Denver to Salt Lake City... :cool:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:45 AM

Wyoming route is definitely faster, probably much more efficient, but customer demand is for the current route, so with sold out trains during the summer the decision is obvious,  

#6 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

Could commuter rail ever reach Wyoming?

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

If Wyoming decides to pay for it, then maybe some day it might materialize as an extension of Denver area Commuter Service beyond Fort Collins. I would be very reluctant to hold my breath for it though ;)

#8 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

I can't really see commuter rail service ever reaching Wyoming. A Front Range intercity service, perhaps as Phase 3 or 5 or something. But commuter rail? Nah.

#9 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

It would be a Very long time, indeed, and Larimer County (Fort Collins), is not even a part of the RTD district....

Here's an article related from last Fall....  https://www.denverpo...ngmont-boulder/

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#10 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

Isn't Wyoming the least populous state in the country?  Hard to see any kind of commuter rail ever really getting much use under those circumstances.

Posted Image

#11 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

I could see regional rail to the Front Range, but that's about it in the mid-future.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#12 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Isn't Wyoming the least populous state in the country?  Hard to see any kind of commuter rail ever really getting much use under those circumstances.

Cheyenne is not far from Denver.

#13 ainamkartma

ainamkartma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Cheyenne is not far from Denver.

But the population density between Fort Collins and Cheyenne is indistinguishable from zero.

Ainamkartma

#14 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:04 AM

I just can not see enough ridership to fill a couple cars everyday, every month.  I think it is a car trip to/from Wyoming.

#15 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:47 AM

Cheyennes beautiful stone station stands empty in great shape and there are still many nice stations along the old route of the former Pioneer.
IIRC that route traversed the Southern part of the state and also served Boise ID and Ogden , UT . I do not see service returning to Cheyenne. Although it is the most populous city in Wyoming, there is no equipment available to add another LD route.

Edited by dlagrua, 27 March 2018 - 02:47 AM.

#16 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:36 AM

The station in Cheyenne was not used by Amtrak.  Their trains ran via the Borie Cutoff, and stopped in Borie, west of Cheyenne.  I think there was a van shuttle to Cheyenne from there for interested passengers.  The Borie "station"  was basically a single platform on the track 1 side of the railroad.

#17 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:21 AM

The station in Cheyenne was not used by Amtrak.  Their trains ran via the Borie Cutoff, and stopped in Borie, west of Cheyenne.  I think there was a van shuttle to Cheyenne from there for interested passengers.  The Borie "station"  was basically a single platform on the track 1 side of the railroad.

The station in Cheyenne was used by Amtrak’s San Francisco Zephyr before they moved it to Borie. It used to involve a long backup move. Been there and done that. The move to Borie Amslab eliminated that backup move. There was an Ambus that connected Borie to Cheyenne.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#18 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:55 AM

A verrrrry long back up move.....all the way from Denver. :)

When No. 5 arrived in Denver, it did not wye.  They cut off the Chicago motors, and added the Oakland motors to the back of the train.  They pulled it backwards into Cheyenne station.

They then cut off the Oakland motors and ran them around the train, to the front, and proceeded West.   The reverse, on No. 6.

Kind of reminiscent of the Pennsylvania Limited between New York and 30th Street Station, Philadelphia....also rode backwards over that segment....

(I wonder if the Pennsylvanian continues that "tradition"?)

Edited by railiner, 27 March 2018 - 07:00 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Pennsylvanian and keystones ride backwards from New York to Philadelphia.

Pennsylvanian gets the diesel at the opposite end from where the electric was bringing it into Philly from NY going westbound, and of course reverse going eastbound.

The Keystones are all push pull with an ACS at one end and a cab car at the other end. They just reverse direction at Philly.

Incidentally, somehow making backup moves over long distances is frowned upon in the US. In India there are many very long distance trains which make huge reverse moves on their complex routing. But then again it does not take half an hour to hook up an engine in India either. I think such is true in Europe too Backup moves are made as and when necessary to provide a specific service.

#20 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

The station in Cheyenne was used by Amtrak’s San Francisco Zephyr before they moved it to Borie. It used to involve a long backup move. Been there and done that. The move to Borie Amslab eliminated that backup move. There was an Ambus that connected Borie to Cheyenne.

I do not doubt that this was the case but what is puzzling is that Union Pacific freight trains routinely go past that station heading West. Also how did the 1940's/ 1950's trains stop at Cheyenne. I though that this was a station on a direct route West,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users