Anyway to know what side of the train you will be on based on you room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant
Last year I took the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago. Since there is no observation car out of Seattle, I wanted to be on the sound side. When I booked my room, I was told there is no way to know which side of train I would be on since they don't really know what direction th ecar itself will be flipped. Is this true? Or is there someway to know based off of train and room number the side of the train?

I was assigned lucky #13 last year. Lucky number for me because it was on the sound side leaving Seattle!
default_smile.png
And it was (of course) lower level which I really liked. There was more privacy and the bathroom was right nearby. I am taking the Zephyr and inquired about the lower level (was originally assigned upper level). I was given a choice of #13 or #14,. I picked #13 again. Figured it worked for me last time.
default_wink.png
Hope I made the right choice...

Superliners are designed to be used either direction so there is no absolute, with the exception of the transition car where the lower level end portal would always face the baggage car. So you could figure out by time of year and baggage car end location of rooms in the trans dorm (but not the other sleepers) with some certainty. On a single level with VL sleepers, the sleeper closest to the diner will have its vestibule facing the diner. Depending on time of year and other factors, you could take an educated guess at that one sleeper. Boston section of LSL and SM with no diner, good luck. Remember, this is not a sure thing, other factors could influence car placement. So the best answer is no, its not worth trying. For best views on the CZ get a seat in the SSL and arrive early for the most scenic spots....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Yeah sort of figured what Amtrak told was was true. Makes sense. But thanks for confirming.

Guess I really lucked out on my Empire Builder ride. That was great sitting there, eating steak and shrimp while Puget Sound rolled by the window.

Do they ever give you a hassle for just sitting in an unused roomette? I can see not moving in totally since someone might be occupying the room somewhere down the line but what about sitting there?

A couple years ago, when we got to our room, I realized we were on the wrong side for the Sound,so when the SCA came by to welcome us, I asked if we could sit there while the train went along the sound. He was very nice, said yes, if we didn't mess up the room. The train was delayed some, so we were in the diner for Dinner for part of the way. We asked to sit on the Sound side and were seated there. It was dark and cloudy on this trip but we still got some great photos.

Check with your SCA, if a room is unsold for a whole trip, he may swap you. Best bet is still the SSL.
Well there is no Sightseer Lounge out of Seattle that was my point. And the Sleeping Car Attendant is probably so busy getting new riders settled the view will be gone by the time you can get your room switched.
default_wink.png

Generally in my experience with superliners (note I haven't ridden as many as most members) the bedrooms are positioned closest to the diners. That has occurred on two out of three trips.

As far as the silver star the vestibule still faces the cafe and that's generally a given. The Boston section of the Lake Shore always faces the cafe as well.

Check with your SCA, if a room is unsold for a whole trip, he may swap you. Best bet is still the SSL.
Well there is no Sightseer Lounge out of Seattle that was my point. And the Sleeping Car Attendant is probably so busy getting new riders settled the view will be gone by the time you can get your room switched.
default_wink.png
I wouldn't worry about switching rooms, just ask when the SCA comes by to intro themselves if you can look at the sound.

Superliners are designed to be used either direction so there is no absolute, with the exception of the transition car where the lower level end portal would always face the baggage car. So you could figure out by time of year and baggage car end location of rooms in the trans dorm (but not the other sleepers) with some certainty. On a single level with VL sleepers, the sleeper closest to the diner will have its vestibule facing the diner. Depending on time of year and other factors, you could take an educated guess at that one sleeper. Boston section of LSL and SM with no diner, good luck. Remember, this is not a sure thing, other factors could influence car placement. So the best answer is no, its not worth trying. For best views on the CZ get a seat in the SSL and arrive early for the most scenic spots....
The SS doesn't have a diner. The Meteor does.

Yes, I fat fingered the silvers, but second paragraph of original post says he is taking the Zephyr, it was his first trip on the SSL less portion of the Builder that led to his question. Unless something is bad ordered or out for some odd reason, the CZ will not be without an SSL.

Yes, I fat fingered the silvers, but second paragraph of original post says he is taking the Zephyr, it was his first trip on the SSL less portion of the Builder that led to his question. Unless something is bad ordered or out for some odd reason, the CZ will not be without an SSL.
Oh. Sorry about that. Post edited.

Back in the New York Central era, it was simple...the double bedrooms would always be positioned on the side that faced the Hudson....
default_cool.png

I have taken the CZ many times. This fall I will take it from EMY to CHI in a bedroom. I think there are great views from any room personally. I go to the SSL some but for me it gets a little too crowded and noisy for my taste though Ive met plenty of nice folks.

For taking photos that present themselves on either side of the tracks, one spot that's often overlooked is downstairs on a Superliner sleeper between the entry doors. There's usually nobody around to get in your way. These windows are some of the few that can also be cleaned on the outside when the door is opened at a stop. Dirty windows make for poor images.

As repeated above, there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever, not even a 'suggestion' by Amtrak, that sleepers will be oriented in any particular direction.

It's been my experience that USUALLY, the sleepers on 48/448 and 49/449 put the bedrooms in the front of the car, putting the bedrooms and odd numbered roomettes on the right side. (in direction of travel). I'm not sure about 50/51, but I think the bedrooms are in front as well. I ride the Cardinal about once every other year and my memory is fading fast at age 70. I haven't been on either Silver train or the Crescent in at least 15 years, so I have no idea which way the Viewliners usually face.

In the Superliners, the roomettes are USUALLY in the front of the car, putting the even numbered roomettes on the right side. The same is true with the transition sleepers as the steps down to single-level car level are in the front.

The Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited sleeper, aka Train 421/422 have always had the roomettes in the front of the car as well CHI-SAS. HOWEVER...depending on <I have no clue what or why>how the through sleeper gets switched at SAS, I've encountered a variety of orientations. Most recently, the through car from Chicago gets wyed and moved from the back end of the Texas Eagle to directly ahead of the Sunset Limited diner with its sleeper and dorm ahead of that. It's odd to wake up travelling the opposite direction as when you went to bed. Previously, both the sleeper and lounge stayed together, not wyed, and put at the back end of Sunset Limited #1. SO all bets are off with that car.

I haven't been on the Coast Starlight for a couple years, but I sort-of recall those sleepers had the roomettes in the front, too. Ditto the Capitol Limited. It's been too long since I've been on 7/27 8/28, so I can't recall which way those sleepers face.

A mentioned above, the vestibule on a Superliner provides a great photo position, if you don't mind being low to the ground. I usually clean the windows in the door once or twice per trip while at a station stop using paper towels from one of the bathrooms. If you're more courageous, I've opened those little windows, got my shot and closed them, all within a couple of seconds.

And whether it's a Viewliner or Superliner, I consider any vacant roomette on the other side 'fair game' for short periods, especially if it's the one across the hall from me. If it's still 'fresh' and not yet occupied on that trip, I disturb nothing while there, so a soon-to-board passenger for that room gets a clean one like what I got when boarding. The same is true if it's vacant as the passenger has gotten off the train and the attendant has made up the room. It could be that a different passenger for that room will board a bit further down the line. This is especially true on trains that are 2 nights journey.

But to repeat what the others said, there's no guarantee what side will have the bedrooms and even numbered roomettes as the car may have been a replacement for a bad order one, or even wyed while spending a day or two at the shop. And as all Superliners are bi-directional, there's been times when the entire train was not wyed at the end of the run due to lack of time or other things. In those cases, the engines run around the train and pull it 'backwards' on the return run, putting the even number roomettes and bedrooms on the left side of the train.

The Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited sleeper, aka Train 421/422 have always had the roomettes in the front of the car as well CHI-SAS. HOWEVER...depending on <I have no clue what or why>how the through sleeper gets switched at SAS, I've encountered a variety of orientations. Most recently, the through car from Chicago gets wyed and moved from the back end of the Texas Eagle to directly ahead of the Sunset Limited diner with its sleeper and dorm ahead of that. It's odd to wake up travelling the opposite direction as when you went to bed. Previously, both the sleeper and lounge stayed together, not wyed, and put at the back end of Sunset Limited #1. SO all bets are off with that car.
CHI-SAS the through-sleeper always is behind the transdorm and right in front of the CCC (with roomettes at the rear when I was on). Between LAX and SAS, it is always the last car of the train (behind all the coaches). When I took #422 a month ago, LAX-SAS was bedrooms first.

It depends on the Yard crew when they have to switch out a car for regular maintenance or for a bad order. What ever is the easiest way to pull out one car and insert the replacement is what they do.

I have ridden many, many thousands of miles in Superliner sleepers and I will say that over the long haul, the orientation of the sleepers is pretty much entirely random. Bedrooms are NOT consistently placed next to the diners. Sleepers on the same train often are oriented differently.

Because the same consist will run between two points mulitple times, there can be the appearance of consistency for awhile on a given train, but when a sleeper is bad ordered or pulled out for inspection, the replacement car will be switched in in whatever orientation is easiest. The coach yards won't go to to the trouble of turning a car. The cars were designed to run either end forward for a reason, it reduces costs.

There are no "rules" the orientation is random, that is just how it is, any impression of consistency is an overinterpretation of fact that consists tend to be stable over the short term, so chances are this month the cars will tend to be oriented the same way the way they were last month.

Back