Test car SKYKOMISH River on 303

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on 303 this morning Chicago to St. Louis. SKYKOMISH River is a NP car with fluted stainless steel sides. I could see into the forward end of the car and see computers and equipment set up.

I asked the conductor if we had a Charger on the head end, and he said yes. Maybe it is a track geometry car, or something else. I know that there is track work schedule for 3/18 and 3/20.

I will continue this post as a trip report of the train’s performance with A Charger. Locomotive on the head end.

Keep in mind this is my first effort at this so may not be perfect. But it will be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

It's actually an ex Great Northern 4 section, 7 duplex roomette, 3 double, 1 compartment sleeper built for the Empire Builder. It's now a track Geo car.

Named after the Skykomish River in King County Washington.

It's actually an ex Great Northern 4 section, 7 duplex roomette, 3 double, 1 compartment sleeper built for the Empire Builder. It's now a track Geo car.

Named after the Skykomish River in King County Washington.
Yes. That is exactly what I saw. I saw the staggered windows indicating a duplex set up for the roomettes.

What exactly does a track geometry car do?

We arrived Summit 9:49 1 minute late

Depart Summit 9: 50 3 minutes late.

A track geo car monitors the actual geography of the track searching for impurities, and other track defects. They are really cool cars to be honest. I'm probably not the best at explaining it because I'm not good with technology. Great cars to work though.

Interesting...who owns that car now? I wonder if it's Amtrak or the host railroad that is conducting the test? Doesn't Amtrak still own their own track geometry car?

We arrived Joliet atl 10:12. 3 minutes early. Hopefully the track geometry car will identify and tell them to fix the rough tracks that erased an ITunes playlist that I had been working on for 45 minutes on my IPAD. LOL.

Despairing Joliet 10:14 1 minute early.

I don't know who owns Skykomish River now. It went on sale several years ago on Ozark Mountain Railcar. It used to be a part of the BNSF executive fleet. Hence they put fluting on it to match their other cars.

Okay...so it still is not clear if it was Amtrak, the host railroad, or perhaps even the IDOT that ordered the test....

And why doesn't Amtrak use its own track geometry car on its trains?

Found this video tour of the car....

Okay...so it still is not clear if it was Amtrak, the host railroad, or perhaps even the IDOT that ordered the test....

Found this video tour of the car.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaI3VceVtGc
Why would Amtrak want to research where track work should be done, in a place where it's another company that owns the trackage and would need to do the track work?
Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Why would Amtrak want to research where track work should be done, in a place where it's another company that owns the trackage and would need to do the track work?
More importantly, who said it was performing tests? When it heads west in another day or two, it isn't performing any tests. Additionally, if you look at the name of the car you listed. It is named "the Corridor Clipper." That is because it generally plies the Corridor. Sure, it tests on the Michigan and Albany Lines. Additionally, Septa, NJT and the MBTA have been know to borrow it. Indeed, I believe the MBTA has it now.

The bottom line is if there is a geometry car that is closer to the territory, why not use that instead of shipping yours through multiple states?

Found this video tour of the car.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaI3VceVtGc
I don't know the answer to that, other than perhaps they are concerned with the ride they are experiencing on that line, or something to that effect? Not sure, at all....just asking....

More importantly, who said it was performing tests? When it heads west in another day or two, it isn't performing any tests. Additionally, if you look at the name of the car you listed. It is named "the Corridor Clipper." That is because it generally plies the Corridor. Sure, it tests on the Michigan and Albany Lines. Additionally, Septa, NJT and the MBTA have been know to borrow it. Indeed, I believe the MBTA has it now.

The bottom line is if there is a geometry car that is closer to the territory, why not use that instead of shipping yours through multiple states?
Good points....

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because I don't get into the actual technology part of these cars. I generally get into the actual mechanics of the car like hvac, hep, etc... But I believe that certain inspection cars test different things.

I know when NS was testing new locomotive rebuilds or newer engines they have a test car that's only used for that purpose. While they have quite a few other test cars for track geography. But this isn't my speciality so I might be wrong.

I was wondering if a car like this would have anything to to do with testing for ptc.

Also amtrak had a service advisory for this line for 3/18 for track work and bustitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back