SWC loading passengers via the lounge car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texline

Service Attendant
IMG_0541.jpg

A first for me. The SWC stop at La Plata. The passengers were boarded through the SSL Never saw that before. A couple of people got off the coach behind the SSL during the stop.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Don't know specifics as to this stop, but I have seen Amtrak board passengers into the lounge car since the train was close to sold out and passengers have to sit in the lounge until conductor and crew can find places in the coach cars for them.

I have heard of this happening on capacity trains, but never have seen it. Generally, before a stop the Conductors and attendants go through the coaches making announcements not to spread out when someone gets up, that an equal number of passengers are boarding. I know people ignor this and try to make it look like both seats are occupied.

Boarding the Capitol Limited in Chicago, everyone going to SOB, Elkhart and even as far as Toledo, were directed to the Lounge car, I think due to lazy coach attendants. There was even tape across the staircase I had to rip as we headed upstairs since the downstairs lounge cafe is unused with passengers directed to the CCC for lounge purchases.

I immediately wrote to Amtrak (we take it instead of the South Shore for comfort) and didnt get issued a reason but was sent a transportation voucher.

As the train left the conductor wasnt happy to see the coach attendant had sent us to the lounge instead of seats, announcing there are plenty of seats available in the coaches for those who want them.

Can't image why, the train wasn't at capacity, everyone had tickets so there was seating available. On the CL, no one is suppose to be on the cafe level of the SSL, so now the Conductor has to clear that area. Anyone wanting to use the SSL out of Chicago would have been disappointed to find it full of Coach passengers.

They did have a coach attendant (not the conductor, I know since I couldnt hear what was going on on the radio) let us all off in South Bend from the Lower level of the sightseer lounge (which took a while since there was a freight train in the station).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back