Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Transdorm or Downstairs?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

We got 2 roomettes on 1 & 2 (SL). Outgoing, we had roomettes upstairs but the agent said none available across from each other so she was giving us downstairs. However, they are in car 231 and rooms 17 and 18. Sounds like upstairs transdorm to me. Correct? Will we have access to shower and toilet in transdorm car or have to use the ones in other sleeper? Are they upstairs if in transdorm?

#2 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

I believe that would be transdorm upstairs, there are no 17/18 in a regular car. Any time I have been in the transdorm I have had no problem with access to shower and bathroom in the TD. It was quiet and I was happy. 

• LDKarr and aka_marian like this

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

That is indeed the upstairs Transdorm. Standard sleeper is car 230, and doesn't have rooms 17 or 18. The transdorm has one toilet and shower - noth are upstairs. Your SCA will be from the adjacent sleeper, so you might see he/she a little less often than if you were in the standard sleeper, but it still shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by cpotisch, 13 March 2018 - 09:13 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

17 & 18 are in the Transdorm upper level.  You can use the shower and bathroom in the transdorm.  The transdorm has very little traffic except when the crew is heading to/from their work assignments/

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,471 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

Transdorms have 2 Bathroom/Showers located Upstairs, 1 for Revenue Passengers and 1 for the Crew, plus Downstairs there still is a Shower and Bathrooms by the H Room which is often occupied by a,Crew Member. ( No Bedrooms in the Transdorm except the H Room).

You'll enjoy the quietness, and the Car is usually kept very clean since the Crew lives there!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 13 March 2018 - 11:00 PM.

• LDKarr likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone for replies. It is what I thought, not what she said.

#7 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

In addition to being quieter and cleaner, the crew often keeps the coffee brewing all day. On both the TE and the CONO, I was told to help myself if I wanted coffee in the afternoon.

Also, depending on the car, you sometimes end up with a bathroom/shower that's all one room (and feels bigger than the regular shower room).

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#8 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Different transdorms have different layouts. I have seen more than one bathrooms d shower available. Ridden them twice and was quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
  • LDKarr likes this
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#9 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

Different transdorms have different layouts. I have seen more than one bathrooms d shower available. Ridden them twice and was quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

That's interesting....how many different layouts are there in total?   And is there some place that shows a diagram of them?   

The only transdorm's that I have ever ridden in were the old converted, Hi-Level coach-dorm's....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#10 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

As far as I remember, they aren't terribly different, but I sort of remember a few don't have the H room, a few might have an "office" but the upstairs layout was pretty much the same. I've never seen a diagram of anyone other than the most common version, but I've ridden on 3, and one was a little different. 

#11 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

I loved my trip in the transdorm. It's far quieter, and far cleaner. And I've had no trouble getting customer service in there.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#12 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

As far as I remember, they aren't terribly different, but I sort of remember a few don't have the H room, a few might have an "office" but the upstairs layout was pretty much the same. I've never seen a diagram of anyone other than the most common version, but I've ridden on 3, and one was a little different. 

So there are two versions?  One with the 'H' room on lower level, and the other with crew office in its place?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#13 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

I've only personally seen 2, but that is by no means definitive. I have had a TD room 3 times, 2 of the cars had an H room, one did not. I assumed the H rooms were not sold on those trips based on the  pieces of cardboard wedged in the doors (probably to keep them from rattling)

Edited by PVD, 16 March 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#14 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

I've only personally seen 2, but that is by no means definitive. I have had a TD room 3 times, 2 of the cars had an H room, one did not. I assumed the H rooms were not sold on those trips based on the  pieces of cardboard wedged in the doors (probably to keep them from rattling)

I want to say there are 3 versions. Some Have H room and some don't. Also some have the second shower on upper level and some don't. The H rooms in the "Dorm" car have never been offered for sale.

#15 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

I have only seen the ones with the H room and upstairs shower, with Conductor office across from it.

#16 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

The two trans dorms I saw last month had the same layout (though I didn't see if there was an H room or not). Upstairs was almost all roomettes. With a curtain that I think was separating crew rooms from revenue ones. At the end of the aisle on the upper level was an office. Downstairs were a bunch of tables and of course at the end of the car (down the other staircase) was the passage to the baggage car). I just peaked at the lower level from the stairs, but all I saw down there were tables. 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#17 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

LOVED the transdorm. 6 roomettes and two bathroom/shower rooms upstairs. Crew area was curtain on other side of second shower so we used that at times. We had 2 of 3 customer-occupied rooms so it was like having two roomettes with 2 private showers. Very attentive SCA. They even opened the door downstairs on all "smoke" stops and at boarding and disembarking so no need dragging  luggage through cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users