Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Police in California find homeless campsite hidden atop Amtrak station

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

I guess there was no waiting room available...

http://www.sacbee.co...e204678049.html

Edited by FrensicPic, 12 March 2018 - 01:39 PM.

• akbrian likes this

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Wow. I wonder what function that concrete ring on the roof was designed to execute? I've never seen such a thing.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#3 mcropod

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Wow. I wonder what function that concrete ring on the roof was designed to execute? I've never seen such a thing.

I’d need another look at the station roof profile, but I wonder if it was to represent a steam loco’s funnel.

#4 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

Kinda looks like a section of concrete culvert pipe.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#5 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

1520861593337.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

1520861567932.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by Bierboy, 12 March 2018 - 05:03 PM.

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#6 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

It appears to serve 2 purposes: 1. hide a vent. 2. Make the build more attractive.

I’d need another look at the station roof profile, but I wonder if it was to represent a steam loco’s funnel.

Here it is:
https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

I'd call the man resourceful and also able to think outside-the-box.

Edited by KmH, 12 March 2018 - 07:18 PM.

• akbrian likes this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#7 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

The dude wanted some solitude.

#8 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

The only thing that would have made this story better would be if someone had discovered him via Google Earth.

But yeah, props to the guy for making a go at it. Hopefully he can find the support he needs in order to harness his ingenuity into something with lasting benefits, whether in a career or simply getting a permanent home.

• tricia likes this

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:51 PM

It's sad that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, there are people who literally have to live on the roof of a train station. That said, that is a pretty darn smart spot to 'set up shop'. Kudos to that man's creativity.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Before it was a train station, that building was a nuclear power plant. :giggle:

Edited by me_little_me, 13 March 2018 - 07:52 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

#11 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

This dude deserves a finders fee. Caltrans is going to rent out this crib at Bay Area market rates -- should bring in at least $2,000 a month.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Amtrak Forum mobile app
  • akbrian likes this

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#12 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:13 AM

This dude deserves a finders fee. Caltrans is going to rent out this crib at Bay Area market rates -- should bring in at least $2,000 a month.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Maybe he booked it through an (errant) Air B&B site ??

Bty, I'm thinking the worst about the moisture stains on the outside of the enclosure... :huh:

It's sad that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, there are people who literally have to live on the roof of a train station.

George Carlin once offered a solution to our homeless living in the streets....

Through eminent domain, the Govt. moves all homeless camps to all of the Golf Courses, everywhere. :excl:

Edited by Rover, 14 March 2018 - 12:13 AM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#13 juanee

juanee

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Enjoy business and leisure Amtrak travel. Home train: Sunset Limited (1,2) / Texas Eagle (421,422).

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:36 AM

It's sad that in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, there are people who literally have to live on the roof of a train station. That said, that is a pretty darn smart spot to 'set up shop'. Kudos to that man's creativity.

I have met various homeless people that quite simply just want to be free and not depend on others or a homeless shelter.  It would be interesting to hear this man's story.

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

I have met various homeless people that quite simply just want to be free and not depend on others or a homeless shelter.  It would be interesting to hear this man's story.

Most homeless people don't live like that just for fun. There's a difference between someone not wanting to be in a homeless shelter, and wanting to be homeless.

• Devil's Advocate likes this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#15 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

A train hobo??   :P

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#16 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

I hired a homeless woman last year.  She was unreliable, temperamental, and did not work well with others.  I was not able to keep her as a worker.  For whatever reasons (she blamed abuse from foster parents...), she was simply not well-equipped to prosper in this world.  I do not blame her, but could only go so far in helping her.

• the_traveler likes this

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#17 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

The specifics of the camp on the roof of the Amtrak station have been covered. Any further discussion of homelessness can take place in the Lounge.

• AmtrakBlue likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users