Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

NEC NYP-BOS, LSL BOS Section Cancelled Tue 3/13

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

Another difference from the "old days": Back then, if your train got stuck in a drift for 6 hours, you would complain about it to your friends and family once you got home. Now, you'd be breathlessly live-Tweeting/Facebooking/Instagramming it and within hours the whole world would know about your plight.

If you are a PR person, you'd rather have disgruntled people be disgruntled at home or in their hotel room, rather than stuck out on a train somewhere, or having to camp out at a station, etc. I'm not saying that's the only factor in whether to cancel service, but it's certainly a piece of the equation.

Possibly, but there are plenty of people stuck in airports from time to time that can tweet up a storm.

• daybeers likes this

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#22 jis

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,839 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

What happens at airports these days are in spite of a large number of pre-announced cancellations and opportunities to change ones flight. It used to be much worse before the 3 hour on tarmac rule came into force. But there was no Twitter back then I suppose.

#23 Thirdrail7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

This advisory address cancellations on 3/14.

Amtrak to Restore Service between Boston and New York on Wednesday
Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:00 PM ET

Amtrak will restore most service between Boston, Mass., and New York City on Wednesday, March 14, after suspending all service on Tuesday following the winter storm.

All service is expected to operate as scheduled, with the exception of:

Acela Express trains 2150, 2151 and 2153 will not operate between New York City and Boston, Mass.

Acela Express train 2190 is cancelled.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#24 west point

west point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

Most posters here do not realize what is required to operate in snow .  Snow falling on an aircraft's wing degrades lift.  Glycol is used to remove the snow on wings but a snow fall rate of just 1/2 inch an hour is too much from de icing to take off.  Hold over time may be less than 30 seconds. Not time to taxi for take off. Next aircraft braking distances are greatly increased on snow and ice just like your regular automobiles.  Reverse engine operations is not allowed for calculations.  Know of instances of landing on a 10000 foot runway all runway taken to stop on available distance.  It ain't fun. 

Then of course there is the problem of glycol recovery that is a poison.  Special pads now required to recover the used glycol and water.  Then has to be sent to refinery for separation.

Edited by west point, 13 March 2018 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users