Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Wolverine to Chicago Seat Comfort/Reclining

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rkifer_*

Guest_Rkifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

I have a spouse with a bad back.  We were thinking of taking the Ann Arbor to Chicago Wolverine train (Wolverine 351 west-bound, Wolverine 352 return).  I have heard the seats recline, but am curious as to how much they recline and how comfortable they are.  Can anyone comment?  The Amtrak reps have said that they recline more than an airplane.  Would love any thoughts.  Thanks so much.

#2 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

They do recline a bit farther than airplane seats, but there isn’t any lumbar support. The seats have a weird curve in that area.

She may want to bring a pillow for additional lower back support. I’ve found that shoving my coat behind my back works well too (I don’t like packing extra stuff.)
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#3 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

The seats have way more padding than any airline coach seat these days. Here is a picture of the seat to expect on the Worlveriene:

Canada-amfleet-seats.jpg

(Pictures from www.Seat61.com)

They also recline more, here is an example photo. This photo is from a long-distance train so you won't get the pillow or the lower-leg rest, but the seat pitch is about the same.

USA-superliner-train-seats.jpg

Peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:35 PM

I found a small pillow behind my back, that I can sorta shape, is needed after a few hours.  The seat width is more like Airline first class and recline just as much or slightly more. You may also want a neck pillow so you can rest.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users