Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Cancelling AGR Card and Points

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gradstudentrailfan

gradstudentrailfan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

A quick question: how long are points earned with the AGR Mastercard (World or Platinum) valid for after the card is cancelled? Myself and some friends all applied for the card last year when the 30,000 points offer was available. Amtrak Guest Reward's website says the following: 

As long as your Amtrak Guest Rewards account shows qualifying account activity—point earning or redemption activity—within 36 months, your points won't expire. Amtrak Guest Rewards®Mastercard® cardholders' points will not expire as long as your credit card account is open.

An Amtrak representative I called said that if I cancelled the credit card, that the points earned with the card would still be valid for as long as there was point earning or redemption withing 36 months. 

Is this correct? 

#2 gradstudentrailfan

gradstudentrailfan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

We are considering cancelling the cards before the year is up to avoid the annual fee. However, I also read somewhere that calling Bank of America and asking for the fee to be waived is often successful. Has anyone succeeded in getting the annual fee removed? 

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,366 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Once BOA puts the points in your account, they're just like any other AGR points, and the usual points expiration policy applies.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,178 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

What many people do is apply and obtain the FREE card. Because there is ne annual fee, and with it open, the card can be unused and just sit in a drawer. With the account open, you still get the 5% points rebate and the no points expiration!:)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

The one thing I don't understand is that you know you have a card with an annual fee and you'd ask them to waive it.. Why not r ask for the card with no fee? It's not like the annual fee is a secret. They tell you up front about it. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#6 gradstudentrailfan

gradstudentrailfan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

The one thing I don't understand is that you know you have a card with an annual fee and you'd ask them to waive it.. Why not r ask for the card with no fee? It's not like the annual fee is a secret. They tell you up front about it. 

I was willing to pay the annual fee once to get the 30,000 point bonus. I don't want to pay the fee a second year in a row. 

#7 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

There are a few better benefits with the paid card...in particular the initial 20,000 points vs 12,000; 3 points per $ on Amtrak tickets and onboard purchases; 2 points per dollar for "other qualifying travel" (hotels, cruises, car rentals, airline tickets). Some will get the fee card to get the initial bonus then revert down to the "free" card.

https://www.amtrakgu...wards.com/apply

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#8 gradstudentrailfan

gradstudentrailfan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

There are a few better benefits with the paid card...in particular the initial 20,000 points vs 12,000; 3 points per $ on Amtrak tickets and onboard purchases; 2 points per dollar for "other qualifying travel" (hotels, cruises, car rentals, airline tickets). Some will get the fee card to get the initial bonus then revert down to the "free" card.

Can you get the 20,000 points, then get the 12,000 points when you move down to the free one?

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,178 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

Many people say they do. I personally have not tried.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#10 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:28 AM

Can you get the 20,000 points, then get the 12,000 points when you move down to the free one?

Yes, you can and I have.  Key is to only apply for the second card after you have met the spending requirements for the bonus on the first card since I believe you must meet the spending requirements within 90 days of receiving the cards.

#11 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

I have done this as well, but it was about a year between applications. Interestingly, the free card came with a higher credit limit, though my credit score/finances hadn't changed.

Wondering, though...if I cancel the paid card, how long before I can re-apply and get the 20K bonus, again.  :rolleyes:

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#12 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

I have never gotten a card with an annual fee until this one. I figure the $79 balances out getting three points for Amtrak travel and two points for other related stuff. Getting that initial 20000 points was nice.

#13 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

I have never gotten a card with an annual fee until this one. I figure the $79 balances out getting three points for Amtrak travel and two points for other related stuff. Getting that initial 20000 points was nice.

The 3 points for Amtrak is good f you pay for your trips a lot but not if you use points for the trips. But wait until you have a billing issue with BoA. For us, so much worse than dealing with Chase. We now have two free Amtrak cards. They sit n the drawer. I'll probably use one of them the next time we take a train just to pay for the rail fare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users