Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Where are the PPCS?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

I was down at the Amtrak Chicago yard yesterday and didn't see the four Parlour Cars. But I also don't recall anyone posting they went on 50 or 850 to Beech Grove either. Anyone have insight?

#2 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Beech Grove as of Friday. Not sure if all 4 were there. It was 3am when I drove past. Surprised to see a dozen of cars in the employee parking lot.
  • BlueWater likes this

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, they're at Beech Grove. They were never supposed to stay at Chicago Yard very long.

• BlueWater likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

Two of PPCs went to the Grove on 2/21 and the other two went on 2/28....and there they sit. Maybe Seaboard will buy one.

• daybeers and aka_marian like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#5 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info! Did anyone get any photos of them on #50 or #850? I am surprised with all of the photos people got of them on #4... Haven't seen any on the Hoosier.

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,011 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Any word on whether the California State Rail Museum will acquire one of these jewels??

Seems like a No Brainer!🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info! Did anyone get any photos of them on #50 or #850? I am surprised with all of the photos people got of them on #4... Haven't seen any on the Hoosier.

That was hard.

• daybeers likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#8 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

Any word on whether the California State Rail Museum will acquire one of these jewels??

Seems like a No Brainer!

Especially if they could restore it back to its original 1955 configuration.

Edited by OlympianHiawatha, 11 March 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

Two of PPCs went to the Grove on 2/21 and the other two went on 2/28....and there they sit. Maybe Seaboard will buy one.

Definitely not. Even though I might buy parts off of them because the resell market is great on parts. My main reason I won't buy any is because they have second floor passages. And I do not want to engineer that down to single floor on both end. Or run with transition cars. I'll pass.

But if I would do it I would look at Columbia Valley as the car I would want.
  • BlueWater likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

That was hard.

Holy crap! Those were the two I went in (well I went in one, and got close ups of the other)! I arrived at Chicago Yard about an hour after they arrived, and I guess they left a few hours after that. So that means I just happened to be passing through during the roughly four hours they were in Chicago (they arrived around 1:00 PM).

Edited by cpotisch, 11 March 2018 - 04:21 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

Definitely not. Even though I might buy parts off of them because the resell market is great on parts. My main reason I won't buy any is because they have second floor passages. And I do not want to engineer that down to single floor on both end. Or run with transition cars. I'll pass.

But if I would do it I would look at Columbia Valley as the car I would want.

Please don't buy parts off them! You'd be dismantling cars that many of us are obsessed with and love!

#12 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

But some parts keep other cars running. So it's all relative. So far I have an offer in for a few small things. Mostly aesthetic. Namely the map of Oregon and Washington from the bottom floor.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#13 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,619 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

There were rumors, I don't know whether they are well-founded, that they  had already found buyers.

• duckmark likes this
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users