Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

A Short Walk In The Hindu Hush...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:51 AM

A SHORT WALK IN THE HINDU HUSH...

Stepping down from the train at Tanjore, after a short ride from Chidambaram, I noticed that the station ticket window had no queue waiting.

Most unusual! I stepped up smartly and asked the young lady about booking my onward travel, only to be informed “Today is a holiday, everything is closed, including ticket sales”!

I had previously looked up the location of my Thanjavur hotel, so felt fairly confident that all the offers of a taxi were very inflated for the modest distance.

Being the sort of idiot that never learns, and well used to cutting off my nose to spite my face, I decide to walk to the hotel...

I have never seen an Indian town so deserted! Not a chai stall, corner shop, fruit barrow open for business, hardly any pedestrians, very well observed holiday for sure!

I approached one guy to ask for directions, but he scurried off in alarm, so I walked on and found a policeman, who gave me good information. Getting a bit hot and thirsty by now, I missed my turning and asked another chap, who enthusiastically sent me on a wild goose chase all over town!

I had an interesting walk around the almost the whole deserted town centre before locating my hotel.

Very happy indeed to arrive, and rest up in air conditioned splendour.

Diwali is the noisiest, most explosive festival, but if you arrive the next day, all is hush... 

23592194_10155837063044120_3498464301640

More pics can be seen here:https://www.facebook...=1&l=077d34cd83

Ed.

• City of Miami and hermit like this

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Beautiful photos. Thank you for allowing me to be an armchair tourist on your trips to the East!

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#3 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, the strange title of my item is a tip 'o the hat to Eric Newby's book, "A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush". :D

• reefgeek and oregon pioneer like this

#4 reefgeek

reefgeek

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:FIsh, Coral, Unix, Vending Machines, Trains.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Very much enjoyed Eric Newby's books, especially The Big Red Train Ride.

• caravanman likes this

Amtrak Routes travelled: Silver Palm, Adirondack, Auto Train, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Regionals.
Other Routes travelled: NJ Transit, TriRail, Metrorail, Newark City Subway, New York Subways, San Francisco Transit, Boston T, New Hope and Ivyland, Essex Steam Train, Strasburg RR, Roaring Camp and Big Trees RR, Skunk Train,WDW RR, Fort Wilderness RR, Seattle Monorail, Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Butterworth, etc.

#5 reefgeek

reefgeek

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:FIsh, Coral, Unix, Vending Machines, Trains.

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

I was prompted by your post to obtain copies of Eric Newby's books which I had NOT read, and I will be running those through my Kindle. Paul Theroux has pretty much pooped out at this point.

Amtrak Routes travelled: Silver Palm, Adirondack, Auto Train, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Lakeshore Limited, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Regionals.
Other Routes travelled: NJ Transit, TriRail, Metrorail, Newark City Subway, New York Subways, San Francisco Transit, Boston T, New Hope and Ivyland, Essex Steam Train, Strasburg RR, Roaring Camp and Big Trees RR, Skunk Train,WDW RR, Fort Wilderness RR, Seattle Monorail, Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Butterworth, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users