Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Sleeping in coach/LSL coach seating

44 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_kendawgbyrd_*

Guest_kendawgbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Are you taking the Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, or Cardinal?

Lake Shore Limited

Ok. So you will not be in ‘bedroom 11 on the lower level of a Superliner’. You are booked for roomette 11 on a Viewliner (single level). The layout is VERY different from that of a Superliner, so I highly recommend calling or checking the Amtrak site for info.

I'm in coach. I don't have the money for a bedroom.

I'm asking about the coach layout on a viewliner train, the behaviour of people in coach, are the seats good to sleep in, etc. 

#42 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

LSL normally uses AM-2 coaches. They are pretty generous in room and recline, not everyone sleeps well in a chair regardless, so you will hear many different opinions on the subject. The only one that matters is yours. Passenger behavior varies widely by time of year and day of week, vacation, spring break, holidays, and weekends you get more families, students, and others who may tend to be a bit "livelier" I take a roomette, but travel the lake a couple of times every year, and walk the train at least once at night to keep the blood circulating, it has been pretty calm on my trips. Eye shades, pillow and light blanket come in handy.

#43 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

I'm in coach. I don't have the money for a bedroom.
I'm asking about the coach layout on a viewliner train, the behaviour of people in coach, are the seats good to sleep in, etc.

My bad. I got this confused with your other topic "Superliner bedroom 011".

Edited by cpotisch, 05 April 2018 - 03:53 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#44 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

Amfleet IIs have the same seats and seat pitch as Superliner coaches.  They recline a long way and have plentiful leg room.  My only real complaint about those seats is the lack of an armrest to divide the space between you and your seat mate.  Passenger behavior varies fairly widely but most conductors will try to keep things quiet in the coaches at night.

Edited by zephyr17, 05 April 2018 - 06:49 PM.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr

Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)

Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal)

Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#45 Guest_Gord M_*

Guest_Gord M_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

I usually can't sleep in coach but the toilets on my sleeper froze up on the LSL on one of my winter trips and they kicked us out of the sleeper and put us in business class. I was able to sleep a bit in a business class seat that seemed more comfortable and spacious than coach. If it's not a lot more money for you, I'd recommend it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users