Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Sleeping in coach/LSL coach seating

44 replies to this topic

#21 GBNorman

GBNorman

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Retired CPA; employed within railroad industry 1970-81

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

The only way I'd be "caught in a Coach" after bedtime would be if my Sleeper was Bad Ordered and set out enroute - wouldn't have too much of a choice in that case.

"No dough? No go".

#22 Guest_kendawgbyrd_*

Guest_kendawgbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

If this is the Lake Shore Limited, pay the extra to ride in Business Class which is in the front section of the Cafe car. The seats are more comfortable and is in a 2+1 arrangement. You are less likely to have anyone talking on a cellphone. In the past 16 years I have slept many thousands of miles in coach. I carry a pillowcase in my carry on. If it is warm enough, I stuff my coat in the pillowcase to use as a pillow..

Last May, my wife and I rode Business Class from Chicago to Erie and Erie back to Chicago about 10 days later. I used my CPAP both ways and slept pretty well.

What is a 2+1 arrangement?  Are there single seats in Business Class on that train? Is that what you mean?

#23 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

What is a 2+1 arrangement?  Are there single seats in Business Class on that train? Is that what you mean?

Standard coach seating is 2+2...2 seats on each side of the aisle.  2+1 is used in business class cars that are 1/2 cafe, eg, 6 rows of 3 seats in each row (most NEC B/C cars are a full Amfleet I car with 2+2 seating and more legroom than coach).  I'm sitting in the LSL business class car as I write this.  The CSX dispatcher has decided to hold us at Worcester for some undisclosed reason.

#24 Guest_Midsteel_*

Guest_Midsteel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

Cheap help-buy an eye shade at Wal-Mart. Your eylids don't do a good job. The eye shade really helps me in the coachs.

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Are you taking the Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, or Cardinal?

Edited by cpotisch, 29 March 2018 - 01:13 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#26 Guest_kendawgbyrd_*

Guest_kendawgbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

Can you sit where you want in coach or must you wait for the attendant to sit you?

I'm getting advice that if you want a chance at 2 seats together you should head to the last coach car on the train. 

#27 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

if the Coaches are really crowded the Attendant most likely will assign seats.  It can also depend on where you board and where you will be getting off.

#28 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:42 AM

Are you boarding the Boston or NY section at its origin? If you are boarding at an origin you can ask for a Red Cap to "pre-board" you, I do this at NYP pretty often. A small gratuity gets me  choice of seating (car may be specific to destination)....

#29 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

It really depends on where you are boarding & how full the train is.

If the train is more on the empty side & you are boarding during the day, than chances are you'll get to pick your seat. Once on board if a seat opens up in your car you can request to move to it.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#30 Guest_kendawgbyrd_*

Guest_kendawgbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

if the Coaches are really crowded the Attendant most likely will assign seats.  It can also depend on where you board and where you will be getting off.

I'm boarding at the Chicago Union Station so that's the start of the line. The end is Penn Station NYC.

#31 Guest_kendawgbyrd_*

Guest_kendawgbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

It really depends on where you are boarding & how full the train is.

If the train is more on the empty side & you are boarding during the day, than chances are you'll get to pick your seat. Once on board if a seat opens up in your car you can request to move to it.

peter

Boarding at Chicago Union Station but the train leaves at 9:30 at night. Gets into NYC at 6:23pm next day.

#32 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Are you arriving in Chicago by train and connecting, or is that your origin? I have only boarded in Chicago from/to a sleeper, so I boarded from the lounge, that is a bit different, but if you are connecting from a sleeper or BC in Chicago you would have lounge access also. If you have any mobility limitation or a bunch of carry on, you may wish to use a golf cart red cap, the walk can be long.....

#33 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,190 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

If boarding a long distance train at the origin (as you are doing), most times you can chose your own seat. Another points enroute, you may or may not be assigned a seat. Corridor trains do not have coach attendants, so you chose your own seats.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#34 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

I would be very surprised if you couldn't pre-board in Chicago. And even if you can't, car attendants almost always try to seat groups together, so I really wouldn't worry. Have a great trip!  :)

Edited by cpotisch, 04 April 2018 - 02:02 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#35 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

Boarding in Chicago, the Conductors will want to passengers organized by overnight stops in a car, NY Penn in a car, and those going on the Boston section. Once on the Conductor will place a stub for each of you above your seats showing your destination. Those boarding after you at other stations, especially at night may be assigned seats.

#36 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

Since the Boston and NY sections split at Albany (at least until the yet to be determined Summer change to accommodate work approaching NYP) getting the Boston section passengers into those cars that go East across Mass, and those going South towards NYC into that section makes total sense. It minimizes the disruptions along the way.

#37 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:21 AM

One on A/T trip a few years back there was a couple with sheets blankets, a few clips and pillows that actually made their coach seats into a cubicle. The seats recline and with a bit of isolation they slept fine. While it has been many years, I use to sleep in coach on aircraft and on trains. If you have trouble sleeping an over the counter sleep aid called Unisom Sleep tabs (dioxylmine succinate) usually does the trick. Most people on the A/T ride in coach and sleep well. Much depends on your mental attitude. .

Edited by dlagrua, 05 April 2018 - 04:22 AM.

#38 Guest_kendawgbyrd_*

Guest_kendawgbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

Lake Shore Limited

#39 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

[quote name="cpotisch" post="746750" timestamp="1522347209"]
[/quote]
Lake Shore Limited

Ok. So you will not be in ‘bedroom 11 on the lower level of a Superliner’. You are booked for roomette 11 on a Viewliner (single level). The layout is VERY different from that of a Superliner, so I highly recommend calling or checking the Amtrak site for info.

Edited by cpotisch, 05 April 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#40 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

Room 11 on the VL Sleeper is at the rear of the car next to the SCA room and near the coffee station. The Bedrooms and the H room are at the other end of the car.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users