Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Given the Perfect Scenario, Could A Train Go BOS-NYP-WAS Non-Stop?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

This is very much "pie in the sky" thinking, but could an NEC train go from Boston to Washington, only stopping at NYP?  Yes, this would be given the right amount of equipment, perhaps a dedicated track, and enough ridership.  But I'm wondering if it would be feasible and beneficial for one Acela perhaps to do this?

Edited by lo2e, 06 March 2018 - 06:19 PM.

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

In the past attempts to even run a New York - Washington non-stop has not met with roaring success, and in each case, has been withdrawn after several months of trying to make it work.

#3 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

This is very much "pie in the sky" thinking, but could an NEC train go from Boston to Washington, only stopping at NYP?  Yes, this would be given the right amount of equipment, perhaps a dedicated track, and enough ridership.  But I'm wondering if it would be feasible and beneficial for one Acela perhaps to do this?

It is definitely feasible but not beneficial from an Amtrak standpoint. A few passengers would probably love it though.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 06 March 2018 - 07:28 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#4 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:14 PM

How about BOS-NYP-PHL-WAS?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,214 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

How about BOS-NYP-PHL-WAS?

Why not BOS-NYP-WIL-WAS?

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,261 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:28 AM

Clearly WAS-BWI-NYP is the only stopping pattern than makes sense.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Wasn't NYP-PHL-WAS tried at least a couple of times in the Acela era? And something similar in the Metroliner era as well?

Without digging through old timetables, I don't seem to recall any of those services lasting all that long.

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,035 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Wasn't NYP-PHL-WAS tried at least a couple of times in the Acela era? And something similar in the Metroliner era as well?

Without digging through old timetables, I don't seem to recall any of those services lasting all that long.

You are correct Sir!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

Yes. Each time they failed and were withdrawn after a relatively short period.

NYP - PHL - WAS was specifically tried and did not work.

#10 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

In what way?

Physically, yes, I don't see why not. There is no intrinisc restriction in the equipment that prevents non-stop running over such distances. Pathing conflicts could be eliminated by running this train at night for example. With some careful weaving in the schedules, there are probably also daytime slots that would work.

Would such a train generate sufficient ridership to be economically viable? This is a different question and I would think probably not. It's on the shorter trips that the train is most competitive. Longer trips are more a domain where the plane has the upper hand, and shaving off a minute here and a minute there is not going to change that fundamentally.

#11 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Certainly ridership and demand is way higher than the Metroliner era and I imagine more trains runs today than back then. Once the Avelia Liberty equipment there might be the enough trains to justify the trains for the occasional "Big 3" (NYP-PHL-WAS) only train. If that train makes only one stop between Penn Station and Union Station instead of 5 or 6, how much time is saved? Certainly you should be able to fill a train with NYP-PHL, NYP-WAS, and PHL-WAS passengers today.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Amtrak wants to run alternate single stop Express (with the single stop varying among the various possible stops) and the regular all stops express once the Avelias are fully deployed. So yes, that is in the plans. As for how well it may work, only time will tell.

The original Shinkansen, which is what got the US to fiddle around with the NEC, runs three distinct services with different number of stops, and varying stopping patterns. Kodamas are the milk runs which stop almost everywhere, though individual trains do some skip stopping. The Hikaris make only the bigger stations, again doing some alternate skip stop, and Nozomis are the fastest with least stop, often non-stop from Tokyo to Osaka. But then again they run 10 or 15 trains each way per hour, so it is a completely different level of service from what is found on the NEC.

#13 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Certainly ridership and demand is way higher than the Metroliner era and I imagine more trains runs today than back then. Once the Avelia Liberty equipment there might be the enough trains to justify the trains for the occasional "Big 3" (NYP-PHL-WAS) only train. If that train makes only one stop between Penn Station and Union Station instead of 5 or 6, how much time is saved? Certainly you should be able to fill a train with NYP-PHL, NYP-WAS, and PHL-WAS passengers today.

This was also in the Acela era. They attempted to run an express train between NYP-PHL-WAS. Then, to stimulate ridership, they added MET...which helped. The truth is, downtown to downtown is not the market some of you think it is.

The only benefit is these train ran ahead of previously packed trains. This loosened up space for the not downtown to downtown travel on the congested trains. 

However, that is not the concept of this thread. Is a WAS-NYP-BOS train feasible? Sure.  Would it be beneficial?  Not really as it would also increase the razor thin margin for failures (and cancellations)  in exchange for minimal benefit.

When the new trains come online, then we can have this conversation.

Then again, when they come online, you may not have much of a choice but to ride them. :ph34r:

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#14 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:20 PM

1.  Not enough slots available at NYP for this kind of service ahead of the more stops trains.

2.   "IF" when Gateway tunnel bores in service and NYP <> WASH service approaches 2:00 then that would bleed off many of the air shuttle riders.

#15 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

There may be a market on a limited basis, say on Friday and Sunday afternoon's....they could even attempt an extra fare, all-business  class express....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#16 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Acelas are extra fare all Business Class plus First Class expresses already.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#17 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

Then again, when they come online, you may not have much of a choice but to ride them. :ph34r:

Interesting that Amtrak is talking about getting rid of all other level of service other than Acela. Only Acela makes money thinking. One thinks giving up market share to the bus would be bad idea.

Even limited regional service. Running just few times a day, with a really long train set. With a branding other than Acela. Just to keep the bus people on there toes. One thinks that would be a workable and profitable level of service.

#18 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Acelas are extra fare all Business Class plus First Class expresses already.

Good point....that, they certainly are...

What do you think about running them on a Friday and/or Sunday afternoon express?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#19 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Interesting that Amtrak is talking about getting rid of all other level of service other than Acela. Only Acela makes money thinking. One thinks giving up market share to the bus would be bad idea.

Even limited regional service. Running just few times a day, with a really long train set. With a branding other than Acela. Just to keep the bus people on there toes. One thinks that would be a workable and profitable level of service.

If Amtrak gives up the "bus fare" market, the commuter railroads could fill in the 'gaps' where they are, and run a cheap thru pool train to fill that market...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#20 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

For those that may not have noticed, Amtrak is really not a serious contender in the bus fare market on the NEC already.

• daybeers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users