Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak 21 detour

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SanAntonioClyde

SanAntonioClyde

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Rail,Passenger Association member. Getting daily Sunset Limited service and better San Antonio Amtrak station.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

Appears it is taking a slightly different route back from Longview via Corsicana to Hearne today. Delay outside of Longview due to freight incident may be cause. Track my train shows its route.

#2 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:09 PM

I thought that was the normal reroute for the 21 when there's track work, and the 22 goes up through Palestine.

#3 ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

It'd be great to know the exact routes that 21 and 22 take on their detours through Texas. I suppose I can periodically check transitdocs to see what's going on.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), Coast Starlight #11 (SLO-LAX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have observed, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (lucky), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), Empire Builder #28 at PDX, and Sunset Limited #2/Texas Eagle #422 at LAX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:54 AM

The route going north is through Palestine, south bound is to west through Corsicana.

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,467 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

I thought that was the normal reroute for the 21 when there's track work, and the 22 goes up through Palestine.

This is correct! I've taken these detours several times on #21/#22 between Longview and Taylor.
  • Chey likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users