Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Passengers stuck on trains for 14 hours show 'Dunkirk spirit'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

We had a few inches of snow in the UK, and everything falls apart!

Maybe Amtrak's "emergency stew" offerings were not so bad, after all...  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-43253130

Ed.

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Well. everything has fallen apart today on the North East Corridor in the US with a severe Nor'Easter. The NEC is currently shut down.

#3 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Makes my recent trip through a Montana blizzard on Amtrak sound like a tropical holiday!

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#4 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:21 AM

It is the huge disruption that the relatively small amount of snow that we get causes that astonishes me...

Admittedly, these folk are on a commuter train on the way home after work, so rather different to being stuck somewhere high in the Rockies!

Looking forward to summer temperatures!  :D

Ed.

Edited by caravanman, 03 March 2018 - 05:22 AM.

#5 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

My sister messaged me from Switzerland this morning. She was on her way from Boston to Berlin on Thursday, got as far as London, and after two flights got cancelled on her, she bailed out of the airport and took the train! :giggle:

At least she got out of Boston ahead of the big east coast storm. Wow, two big storms on both sides of the Atlantic at the same time. What's next??

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#6 gswager

gswager

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Interests:mountain recreations, scuba diving, Christian,

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

And the Pacific, too!
  • oregon pioneer likes this
Entire length in segments- Southwest Chief (LSV-LAX & CHI-LSV), Pacific Surfliner (SLO-LAX & LAX-SAN) & San Joaquin (Oakland stub)
Entire length, end to end- Lake Shore Limited (Boston stub) (11/09), Downeaster (11/09) & Coast Starlight (10/11)
Partial- California Zephyr (SLC-EMY), Hiawatha, Cascades (SEA-PDX) & Acela (BOS-PVD)

#7 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

My sister messaged me from Switzerland this morning. She was on her way from Boston to Berlin on Thursday, got as far as London, and after two flights got cancelled on her, she bailed out of the airport and took the train! :giggle:

At least she got out of Boston ahead of the big east coast storm. Wow, two big storms on both sides of the Atlantic at the same time. What's next??

Climate Change= Fake News in Trump World!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#8 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:12 AM

Glad to know your sister got home thanks to the train service. Gosh, you must ask her how much that cost for a last minute ticket, many euros to ride the Eurostar same day!

I think trade wars both sides of the Atlantic are expected next?  :D

Ed.

#9 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

Don't know the geography or locations at all, but why would it have not been possible to send buses to remove the stranded passengers within a hour or two? This was a commuter line, I gather, so not in a remote area, and not far from highways and roads and communities, I assume.

#10 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:32 PM

Don't know the geography or locations at all, but why would it have not been possible to send buses to remove the stranded passengers within a hour or two? This was a commuter line, I gather, so not in a remote area, and not far from highways and roads and communities, I assume.

Because most bus companies and many roads were shut down too.

#11 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

Glad to know your sister got home thanks to the train service. Gosh, you must ask her how much that cost for a last minute ticket, many euros to ride the Eurostar same day!

I think trade wars both sides of the Atlantic are expected next?  :D

Ed.

Home was where she started (Boston), and the destination was ultimately the Geneva area, after a visit in Berlin. The train took 12 hours from London, so would that have been the Eurostar? She is now skiing in the Alps. She says the roads to the ski mountains are clogged with powder-hounds, because the snow that was so devastating in England is a boon to the ski areas.

Whatever the ticket cost, she would say it was worth it for the time she spent with her son (my nephew), and his fiancée (soon-to-be-wife), in Berlin.

• caravanman likes this

Jennifer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users