Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alco Diesel converted to Electric

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Here is what you get when you take an Alco Century derivative unit (IR Class WDM2) and replace the diesel prime mover by HV electric gear to  feed off of 25kV AC catenary, while keeping the running gear and drive electronics/electricals the same. Experimental unit done by one of the Indian Railways workshops.

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Hopefully all can see the photo.

• Ryan likes this

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Works here, thanks. An interesting concept, and an odd looking beast.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Certainly any re-purposing of costly items rather than simple scrapping is to be welcomed.

I am surprised that the original motors and controls would work on 25KV, although I have no idea of the output voltages or currents of Diesel Electric locos. Maybe they use some voltage dropping gear from the panto?

I always liked and respected the recycling of used items that I saw in India, this seems another sensible money saving move.

Some of the Diesel engined locos spew out huge clouds of the most terrible black oily smoke too!

Ed.

Edited by caravanman, 02 March 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

Certainly any re-purposing of costly items rather than simple scrapping is to be welcomed.

I am surprised that the original motors and controls would work on 25KV, although I have no idea of the output voltages or currents of Diesel Electric locos. Maybe they use some voltage dropping gear from the panto?

I always liked and respected the recycling of used items that I saw in India, this seems another sensible money saving move.

Some of the Diesel engined locos spew out huge clouds of the most terrible black oily smoke too!

Ed.

Technically it is pretty straightforward. The diesel alternator feeds the drive circuitry which drives the DC motors. Basically the HV gear has to convert from 25kV to the appropriate voltage profile to emulate what was originally fed by the diesel alternator.

But my suspicion is that they probably replaced the original control circuitry and have inserted new circuitry to run the DC motors through power electronics from a 1,500v - 3,000v DC bus. The HV side simply steps down from 25kV and rectifies to feed the DC bus.

It would be interesting to see how they did it.

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

Here’s a video

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users