Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Finally!....New VIA Equipment

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:50 AM

Announced in yesterday's (Feb 27) Federal Budget

http://www.viarail.c...l/fleet-renewal

#2 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Announced in yesterday's (Feb 27) Federal Budget

http://www.viarail.c...l/fleet-renewal

32 trainsets with 9100 total seats. (Any idea how that compares to what is used currently?)

Good news, indeed. Will be interesting to see the proposals and which company/equipment is selected.

#3 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

I wonder if the Siemens Charger has any shot of winning this order for locomotives, given that it has had relatively abysmal performance in the midwest this past winter.

Posted Image

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Looks like five or six car train sets. Seems almost ideal for a Railjet/Charger based Siemens thing (similar to Brightline sets) or equivalent from Bombardier or Alstom (which will be merged with Siemens rail transport stuff).

#5 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

I wonder if the Siemens Charger has any shot of winning this order for locomotives, given that it has had relatively abysmal performance in the midwest this past winter.

So that's not just been my bad luck with two of the worst Hiawatha delays/disruptions in my 20+ years of riding those trains occurring this winter.

#6 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

It is great news.  Cold weather reliable operations will be something that the bidding companies should be required to demonstrate. Just the approval for new equipment is a great step forward for Canada.

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

So that's not just been my bad luck with two of the worst Hiawatha delays/disruptions in my 20+ years of riding those trains occurring this winter.

Although the train I was on traveled fine with SC-44s, I did see another train with a BNSF unit ahead of the SC-44 because apparently the horn on the SC-44 had failed thus making it illegal as a lead unit.

#8 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

That's first I'm hearing about a lot of problems with the Chargers. What's been happening with them? 

Edited by MikefromCrete, 28 February 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#9 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

There was some issues with the scrubbers, although I think the problems with them were blown a bit out of proportion by Charger-haters. They don't yet have the Michigan PTC system installed/turned on. Been a few accidents (no fault to the Chargers), and a horn not working on one run of one. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, no where near as bad as the HHP-8s when they were delivered. 

I've not heard of any problems with the Brightline ones, nor the ones on the west coast.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#10 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

Were there still plans to electrify the corridor too?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#11 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:54 AM

I'm assuming its these cars that are being replaced? Not the LRC?

24359612967_c7bd443693_c.jpg by B H, on Flickr

#12 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:42 AM

Yes....hopefully the cars with the blue and yellow stripe will be the ones replaced. These were rebuilt in the early 90 in the HEP II programme. A lot are former Amtrak cars.....the interiors are nice (see below) but are very rough riding.

The car with the solid blue strip is a HEP 1 long distance coach rebuilt in the late 80s or early 90s. It is xCPR Canadian equipment. Dont think they are going away anytime soon.

I think the LRC will be around for years to come and along with the new equipment.increased service!

Attached Files

#13 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

Be nice to see the design of the new cars.  The photo makes the interior look good still, but as mentioned, rides rough.  Wonder if they will be kept for extras and special trains.

#14 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

I think the LRC will be around for years to come and along with the new equipment.increased service!

From an old Transport 2000 Newsletter: Perhaps we'll see any surplus LRC coaches deployed to routes they were originally envisioned for 40 years ago!

A Prairie Intercity run: Winnipeg-Calgary or in the Maritimes: Halifax-Moncton-Saint John? But that Halifax-Saint John-Montreal daytime run across Maine....Not a chance!

Attached Files

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 02 March 2018 - 04:48 AM.

#15 Northeastern292

Northeastern292

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:see my social networking profiles: too many to list!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Yes....hopefully the cars with the blue and yellow stripe will be the ones replaced. These were rebuilt in the early 90 in the HEP II programme. A lot are former Amtrak cars.....the interiors are nice (see below) but are very rough riding.

The car with the solid blue strip is a HEP 1 long distance coach rebuilt in the late 80s or early 90s. It is xCPR Canadian equipment. Dont think they are going away anytime soon.

I thought the LRC cars were the problem children, as they were made of a carbon steel or something?

Regardless, new equipment is good news for VIA. They can do more and better than they have now. Hopefully, Siemens gets the contract as I've a huge fan of both the Brightline coaches (despite one ride in them) and I bet you they'll deliver on time. Talgo I've heard is also interested in pursuing the contract, but it would have to be a high-level car, as Montreal and Quebec City both have high level platforms that I don't think are going anywhere.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#16 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

The LRC cars are about 35 years old and still the backbone of VIAs corridor fleet. The LRC locomotives are long gone..having been replaced by P42s in 2001..and used along with the older but extensively rebuild F40s

Regarding High Level Platforms: Yes, Montreal and Quebec City and currently under construction in Ottawa.

Attached Files

#17 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

It seems like Amtrak has scads of LRC derivative cars in the Acelas too. AFAICT the Acela cars have almost nothing to do with any TGV cars that I have ever seen.

#18 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

There was some issues with the scrubbers, although I think the problems with them were blown a bit out of proportion by Charger-haters. They don't yet have the Michigan PTC system installed/turned on. Been a few accidents (no fault to the Chargers), and a horn not working on one run of one. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, no where near as bad as the HHP-8s when they were delivered. 

I've not heard of any problems with the Brightline ones, nor the ones on the west coast.

peter

I dont remember the specifics, because I was only half paying attention when a Chicago ops manager told me, but they have had a lot of trouble with the HEP on those engines this winter.

The Florida and west coast engines have not had to endure any real winter conditions, so it would make sense that they wouldnt be experiencing trouble.

Edited by Trogdor, 02 March 2018 - 03:37 PM.

Posted Image

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Chicago Ops seems to have a lot of trouble with everything irrespective of season, no? :P

#20 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:04 AM

All the equipment out of Chicago is aging with few spares for protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users