Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Auto Train Trip Report

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GBNorman

GBNorman

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:30 PM

"Voyage 24" will be aboard 52 (21)

Guess what, you now get to know your space: K/5240 - well after you paid up!!!

Appears to be Forward Riding in a 3250X if the A-end is where it belongs

It turned out to be a frazzled drive up from Boca owing to some kind of smack up on the 95 near Ft. Pierce. Like a fool, I ducked off to find Route 1; that was dumb dumb. Just wait it out and unless you really know the area.

Adding to the troubles were making a pit stop at a gas station at which the card reader didn't work The Attendant walked out to help, but now it shut off at $40 - and I needed more ($47.26)

Arrived SFA 210P which gave me 20 minutes to spare before the 230P close.

I didn't do any exploring, as I really get sick and tired of, because I know how to walk on a train, get sneered at by a Conductor "you're with Amtrak; you must be one of them spies".

Looks like Bedroom K in the 5240 is forward riding. It is a light load with 191 passengers and 110 vehicles.

Arrived in Lorton 65ME. Funny how all shades of the area snice I first ventured here in '72 have completely changed.

I never explored, all I noted is the Coach Lounge is the Sightseer. What a waste - "you've seen one pine tree, you've seen 'em all".

Showers? still "batting a thousand".

Oh well, still have most of yesterday's Times to read as the Station staff does not report until 8AM. All told I had my auto back 845A, and was on my way in rush hour traffic on the 95. Guess what, I know one Lexus that will not see the "Lexus Lanes" along the Beltway - known as mine.
  • greatcats likes this

#2 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the report GBN.

#3 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

Unfortunately, this is one of the few US trains I won't be able to ride. No car, no bike.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.
Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).
Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states; VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#4 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately, this is one of the few US trains I won't be able to ride. No car, no bike.

Living in NYC, a car is somewhat useless, and a big pain in the neck, so we (happily) dont have one. The most realistic way to take the Auto Train would be to take my grandparents car with us. Since they live in Florida for half the year, and NJ for the rest, they have to either ship their car north/south, or hire a driver to get it there. So what we could do is visit them around the time theyre migrating, and take the car with us on the AT. Otherwise, Ill have to just stick with the Meteor...

Edited by cpotisch, 30 April 2018 - 04:46 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users