Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Another fine job by chicago yard. Car 58002

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

I suspect that in the newest cars they probably use a hybrid system consisting of Heat Pump AC unit(s) augmented by heating coils, specially in cars that run in very cold places.

#22 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

My parents quit taking Amtrak after a dead of winter LSL trip to Albany where not only was there no heat, but the toilets were frozen up in the sleeper as well (and bear in mind my parents are winter folk who skied and spend time outside in cold weather).

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#23 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

I was on the Crescent when frozen water and sewer lines burst flooding the entire sleeper.  What a mess.  They squeezed everyone into the remaining sleeper since the Coaches were full.  There was no customer Service, though our SCA grabbed a few of us and raced us over to another platform to catch a regional in BC as it was about to depart..  He was great and we rewarded he accordingly.

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

I was on the Crescent when frozen water and sewer lines burst flooding the entire sleeper.  What a mess.  They squeezed everyone into the remaining sleeper since the Coaches were full.  There was no customer Service, though our SCA grabbed a few of us and raced us over to another platform to catch a regional in BC as it was about to depart..  He was great and we rewarded he accordingly.

Oh god. That sounds awful. Horrifying.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#25 AcrossTheOcean

AcrossTheOcean

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, playing tuba

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

My understanding from a technical article in Private Varnish (magazine) a few years back is that passenger car heat is a two-pronged system. There is an electric heat strip (or, in older cars, a steam coil) in the fresh air ventilation duct which is sized and has a thermostat set to warm the ventilation air to 60-62F. So passengers won't freeze, but they will be cool...if they wish to be. The floor heat is supplemental and is on individual thermostats (in sleeping cars) so that the passengers can adjust it to whatever level they are comfortable with. Assuming everything is working, of course!

62 degrees doesn't sound chilly at all, especially for a coach car.  For an interior room in a large building, you want the air coming out of the ducts to be around 55 degrees.  Even if it is really cold outside, 62 degree supply air would keep passengers comfortable, not on the warm side of freezing.  There are lots of passengers breathing in the room temperature air and exhaling it at about 86 degrees F.

Edited by AcrossTheOcean, 11 March 2018 - 07:17 AM.

Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Genieß dein Leben mit vollen Zugen.

#26 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

I included the car number so we can track how long this will be neglected.

Cant wait for the new cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

So, how is your tracking going?

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#27 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Lol. Im riding 303 next saturday. Ill let you know. Engine 52 has been riding back and forth to stl. I suspect 58002. Will be there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users