Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Another fine job by chicago yard. Car 58002

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

On 303 in BC and heat is not working. Asked LSA and AC and both said the heat is not working. I included the car number so we can track how long this will be neglected.

Cant wait for the new cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#2 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

Wonder if they couldn't get it fixed while in Chicago, decided the temperatures were not seriously cold so didn't change out the car.

#3 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

There aren't that many Horizon split clubs, there may not have been anything available.

#4 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:13 PM

Wonder if they couldn't get it fixed while in Chicago, decided the temperatures were not seriously cold so didn't change out the car.

It's 47 degrees in Quincy and 60 in Carbondale. People should be fine as long as they wear their coats. It'll get a bit chilly when the doors open, but if the car is full, body heat will help.

Chicago may not have had time to fix it, or it may not have been reported to the yard on time (or at all).

I'm not excusing this, but at the same time, it's not like it's 10 degrees outside. Given the decision to run the car or pull it, I probably would have run it rather than denying passengers. If anyone gets too cold, they can sit in the cafe car or something.

(I realize you paid for BC, so if that is unacceptable, you could call Amtrak about it.)

Edited by SarahZ, 24 February 2018 - 05:21 PM.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#5 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

I think it is a split car, so bc and the café would be the same car....

#6 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

I think it is a split car, so bc and the café would be the same car....

I cannot believe I forgot that. I ride in BC all the time.

I blame the DayQuil.  ^_^

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#7 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

I see the Amfleet splits all the time out of NYP on lots of trains, but I've never been in the comparable Horizon..

#8 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Sometimes the other end kf yhe car is warmer. Today that wasn't the case. My gf was more bothered than me. I goy tired of the fussing so i posted.

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

Off topic but some cars do have two totally different HVAC units. Now I don't think horizons or any Amtrak equipment had that. But a lot of the former full dome cars from the 50s have two hvac set ups. The best ever one failed on a hot day and one didn't. So half the car felt great. The other half was a greenhouse.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#10 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,294 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

I see the Amfleet splits all the time out of NYP on lots of trains, but I've never been in the comparable Horizon..

Trains that run the Empire Corridor use the 2x1 cafe cars for BC seating. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#11 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

That's where I usually ride them, even the NYP to ALB trains use them even though the cafe is not manned. Also on the Leaf, which while not totally an Empire Corridor train, covers the whole route before crossing over. I don't ride the Vermonter or Ethan Allen, but I think they use then also.

#12 lordsigma

lordsigma

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

In the Amfleet cars is the radiant heat along the side walls the sole heat source, or is the air delivered through the ventilation system also heated?

#13 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Modern single level car design puts a sealed package unit at each end in the roof of the car. Much easier to pull and replace for service issues. It is spec'd that way for next gen single level cars. The only exception might be if a new sleeper design was developed, but that is so far into the future (if ever) it really is irrelevant.

#14 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

Trains that run the Empire Corridor use the 2x1 cafe cars for BC seating. 
I’ve been trying to get an answer from Amtrak for several weeks now, but have only received a canned response back that a response to my email should be received within 48 hours. Has anyone seen an Amfleet I 2x1 Cafe/BC car that has gone through the interior refresh/refurbishment yet? I can’t get an answer about whether these cars are included other than another AU member saying they doubted they would be part of the program when I asked about this in an earlier thread.

#15 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

I was on a late Lake Shore Limited in January, and it was cold outside. I was told that one of the reasons we were late leaving Chicago was that the maintenance people were trying to fix the heat, and there was no replacement car. I don't know if they thought they got it fixed or just gave up, but it wasn't working as we left the station over four hours late. If they gave up and just sent the train as it was, I applaud the decision. I was happy to get on the train and get going.

#16 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

In the Amfleet cars is the radiant heat along the side walls the sole heat source, or is the air delivered through the ventilation system also heated?

Both. The floor heat is the stronger supplier, however.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#17 ChuckL

ChuckL

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

I was on a late Lake Shore Limited in January, and it was cold outside. I was told that one of the reasons we were late leaving Chicago was that the maintenance people were trying to fix the heat, and there was no replacement car. I don't know if they thought they got it fixed or just gave up, but it wasn't working as we left the station over four hours late. If they gave up and just sent the train as it was, I applaud the decision. I was happy to get on the train and get going.

I was on the Wolverine #354 traveling from CHI-DER in mid November on an Amfleet 1 2/1 Business Cafe Car and it was very cold in business class. Complaints were made to the conductor but they were to no avail. Once we arrived at the BTL station where there was a crew change, the new conductor noticed the cold temperature in the car and immediately opened up a panel near the back of the car and turned the heat on. We had a warm ride for the rest of our travels. So much for understanding how the initial crew’s bad customer service was rectified by the new crew’s good customer service within a minute’s time.

After that, the only complaint that I had was having to drag our luggage through the other half of the BC/Cafe car and two additional cars to get to an open door for detraining. Not trying to be acting high and mighty, but you might think they would open a door for business class as the same thing happened when boarding for CHI on the outbound train. All doors were open on arrival in CHI.

#18 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

When I took the 97 from NYP to Deerfield, the SCA opened the door into the bushes, and then followed as my wife and I dragged our bags two cars up to find an open door we could actually exit!

#19 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

When I'm working with cars I generally try to avoid the floor heaters at all costs. They put out a lot of heat. But I've never once if someone told me they were cold not turned them on for a bit. Usually it will get stuffy in an hour.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#20 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

My understanding from a technical article in Private Varnish (magazine) a few years back is that passenger car heat is a two-pronged system. There is an electric heat strip (or, in older cars, a steam coil) in the fresh air ventilation duct which is sized and has a thermostat set to warm the ventilation air to 60-62F. So passengers won't freeze, but they will be cool...if they wish to be. The floor heat is supplemental and is on individual thermostats (in sleeping cars) so that the passengers can adjust it to whatever level they are comfortable with. Assuming everything is working, of course!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users