Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

SL to TE--LCH to CHI

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 margo

margo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Family, church, travel

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

We want to go from Lake Charles to Chicago via the Texas Eagle round trip. We usually ride coach from LCH to SAS, but we will need a room on to CHI.  Will we have to get off the train and sit in the SAS station from midnight to 7 am?  What if we get a room from LCH to CHI?

Trains ridden: Downeaster, Adirondack, Vermonter, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake shore Limited, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Texas eagle, Sunset limited, Coast Starlight, Empire Service, City of New Orleans. Scenic excursion trains-Combres & Toltec from Chama NM, Georgetown Loop in CO, White Pass & Yukon in Alaska.  I also rode the KCS passenger train from Shreveport, LA to Dequincy, LA many times, and Lake Charles to Kansas City,  before Amtrak.  This shows my age . My father and brother worked for the KCS, so I guess trains are in my blood! I have added the Pacific Surfliner (to San Diego) and the Pere Marquette (to Holland and St. Joseph, MI) to my list.  Both were lovely rides.

#2 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

I've only traveled through SAS on the TE (422/421) from/to Los Angeles where you can stay in the sleeper while it is switched from the SL to the TE. Traveling in your direction, there is no such car on the SL so at the very least you would have to de-train and reboard the other train which may lead to waiting in the station. Perhaps the conductor or your SCA could work something out regarding immediately boarding the other train.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#3 margo

margo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Family, church, travel

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

Will we have the same problem coming home from CHI?  Thank you.

Trains ridden: Downeaster, Adirondack, Vermonter, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake shore Limited, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Texas eagle, Sunset limited, Coast Starlight, Empire Service, City of New Orleans. Scenic excursion trains-Combres & Toltec from Chama NM, Georgetown Loop in CO, White Pass & Yukon in Alaska.  I also rode the KCS passenger train from Shreveport, LA to Dequincy, LA many times, and Lake Charles to Kansas City,  before Amtrak.  This shows my age . My father and brother worked for the KCS, so I guess trains are in my blood! I have added the Pacific Surfliner (to San Diego) and the Pere Marquette (to Holland and St. Joseph, MI) to my list.  Both were lovely rides.

#4 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

It looks like you'll have a somewhat different problem on the return.

The TE arrives at SAS from CHI daily at 9:55 pm.

The eastbound SL only leaves SAS on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday (6:25 AM). At best that would be the next morning.

At worst, if you arrive in SAS on the TE on a Friday, Wednesday, or Sunday evening you have to stay 2 nights to travel eastbound on the SL the next time it departs SAS.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

We want to go from Lake Charles to Chicago via the Texas Eagle round trip. We usually ride coach from LCH to SAS, but we will need a room on to CHI.  Will we have to get off the train and sit in the SAS station from midnight to 7 am?  What if we get a room from LCH to CHI?

If the price is good, I recommend a roomette SAS-LCH, as it would get you two free meals. And especially when arriving in SAS at 9:55 PM and boarding at 6:25 A.M., a room would allow for some much-needed rest. No matter what, you’ll have to detrain and spend the night in San Antonio. ☹️ Whether you do that in the station or in a hotel is up to you.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,942 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

I have traveled NOL-SAS-CHI and yes you do have to get off and wait. I believe the TE begins boarding about 6:30 am in SAS.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:27 PM

The boarding on the TE going to Chicago is between 6:30 - 6:45, presuming the car switching for the TE has been completed. You will not be able to board until the TE is pulled back into the station after switching the cars from the SL to the TE. Coming from Chicago, you could arrived as early as 8:45 in the evening if the train is on time out of San Marcos. The east bound SL until after 4 so you positively have a long wait going home. You may want to walk over to the Staybridge a couple blocks from the station to rest in a room for the 7-8 hours or more.

#8 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,011 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

Consider an alternative to spending a less than pleasant night in the SA Amshack or booking a Hotel room close to the Station.

Book the #2 Sunset Ltd. In Coach from LCH to Alpine on Wed, arrive into Alpine on Thurs morning. ( you'd have to pay for Diner and Breakfast in the Diner or eat a late Dinner @ Dennys close to the SAS Station during the switching layover).

Enjoy a day in this pleasant small Mountain Village, then catch the Texas Eagle #422 that evening about 8pm and travel to Chicago in a Roomette which will include 6 meals in the Diner.
  • juanee likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#9 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

From LCH to/from CHI there isn't a good connection either way, SAS or NOL. 

You might want to plan to spend a full day in San Antonio since the TE to/from Chicago is daily.  The city has a great downtown with lots to do.

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Consider an alternative to spending a less than pleasant night in the SA Amshack or booking a Hotel room close to the Station.

Book the #2 Sunset Ltd. In Coach from LCH to Alpine on Wed, arrive into Alpine on Thurs morning. ( you'd have to pay for Diner and Breakfast in the Diner or eat a late Dinner @ Dennys close to the SAS Station during the switching layover).

Enjoy a day in this pleasant small Mountain Village, then catch the Texas Eagle #422 that evening about 8pm and travel to Chicago in a Roomette which will include 6 meals in the Diner.

You say it's six meals on the TE if boarding at Alpine, will they still serve someone who boarded at 8PM? Otherwise wouldn't it be five meals, all in the CCC?

Edited by cpotisch, 11 March 2018 - 07:24 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#11 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

You say it's six meals on the TE if boarding at Alpine, will they still serve someone who boarded at 8PM? Otherwise wouldn't it be five meals, all in the CCC?

On the Sunset Limited portion (Alpine, TX), its a full diner, not a CCC. Eight pm, probably no dinner.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#12 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,011 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

Alpine is last call for Dinner in the Diner ( if the Train is not too Late)on #2 since the Time changes @ Sierra Blanca from Mountain to Central Time, and the Diner serves on Mountain time for Lunch and Dinner on this train.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#13 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

On the Sunset Limited portion (Alpine, TX), its a full diner, not a CCC. Eight pm, probably no dinner.

I know. I was on it two weeks ago.

#14 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Apparently some of the respondents are confused about the route the OP will be taking.  She will be traveling Westbound on the Sunset Limited to SAS and will have to detrain and wait several hours for the Texas Eagle to depart at 7 AM.  Depending on the day of the week, the Eastbound Sunset/Eagle will drop a coach and sleeper for the Texas Eagle to take to Chicago (listed train 422).  The procedure is reversed going the other way, and it's necessary to arrive on the Texas Eagle at a time that coincides with an Eastbound Sunset Limited arriving several hours later.  

Edited by bratkinson, 12 March 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#15 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Apparently some of the respondents are confused about the route the OP will be taking.  She will be traveling Westbound on the Sunset Limited to SAS and will have to detrain and wait several hours for the Texas Eagle to depart at 7 AM.  Depending on the day of the week, the Eastbound Sunset/Eagle will drop a coach and sleeper for the Texas Eagle to take to Chicago (listed train 422).  The procedure is reversed going the other way, and it's necessary to arrive on the Texas Eagle at a time that coincides with an Eastbound Sunset Limited arriving several hours later.  

We all know that much. Bob Dylan's suggestion was to go to Alpine so as not to have an overnight in SAS.

#16 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

The SAS station is no picnic either...unless they've renovated/updated in the past five years...

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users