Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak store at CUS is open again?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,399 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Per Amtrak Employee at CUS on FB:

“You asked for it and it’s back!

The Amtrak Store in Chicago Union Station now open for business. Tell a friend! — feeling excited at Chicago Union Station.”

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,190 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

A good excuse to take a train trip! :) (As if I need an excuse! :giggle: )

Edited by the_traveler, 20 February 2018 - 12:53 PM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

Merchandising always has a lot of potential, but overhead in product can be high. I've never been impressed with the online store. Hopefully a storefront will allow for the moving of clearance items and stocking of the most popular items. In a weird way, I wonder if they are affiliated with the online store, and if it would improve THAT service.

Edited by VentureForth, 20 February 2018 - 02:03 PM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#4 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

I was wondering if the store was going to reopen when I was at Union Station on Sunday.  A few months ago when I was there the storefront was completely empty and then when I was there this time there was merchandise out.

Now, has anyone heard as to what is going on with the online store?  Most of their apparel has been on clearance for quite a while with some items now sold out.  The same is true with many other items.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: September 25, HOM-SEA RT

Amtrak trains traveled on as of May, 2018:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades, Ethan Allen, Capitol Limited and Carolinian

#5 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:33 PM

I suspect that the store's reopening is to move out remaining merchandise, and that the whole concept of Amtrak merchandise is going to be discontinued. 

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#6 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

Has AMTRAK outsourced the merchandising, on-line and store front, taking just a royalty fee on each item sold?  They outsourced the ML operations in Chicago,

#7 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

Has AMTRAK outsourced the merchandising, on-line

Staples handles the orders online.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: September 25, HOM-SEA RT

Amtrak trains traveled on as of May, 2018:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades, Ethan Allen, Capitol Limited and Carolinian

#8 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

Now, has anyone heard as to what is going on with the online store?  Most of their apparel has been on clearance for quite a while with some items now sold out.  The same is true with many other items.

It sounds like, perhaps the contract with the online store vendor (Staples?), may be coming to an end....perhaps there may soon be a new vendor...

I doubt if Amtrak would want to lose whatever incremental revenue they receive from this source...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#9 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

It sounds like, perhaps the contract with the online store vendor (Staples?), may be coming to an end....perhaps there may soon be a new vendor...

I doubt if Amtrak would want to lose whatever incremental revenue they receive from this source...

I was wondering that myself about the Staples contract ending.  It would make sense to have a clearance sale.  I'm hoping your speculation of a new vendor coming aboard is correct.  

#10 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

The person who seemed to be the store manager said that the Chicago store will receive the inventory from the on-line store. Maybe it needed to be cleared from a Staples warehouse in preparation for a new vendor, but it is also possible that Maglev's suspicion is correct.

#11 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

The online store's pricing seems a little off, for instance the "Metro Zippered Portfolio" is advertised as "Was $29.98 Now $25.48" yet the listed price is $19.99...

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#12 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Online store has been anemic for years now. The CUS proprietor was talking with me on FB about hoping for a cooperation but has a sign in the front of the store clearly distancing their store from the online presence (along with a note that cash isn't accepted).

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#13 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Not taking cash? That's sure following the McDonald's model (a lot of stores in the loop are being renovated into kiosk based ordering with credit card ordering only).

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#14 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

There are insurance and security issues with taking cash.  By not accepting cash you eliminate the possibility of a robbery or the deposit bag stolen which lowers your monthly insurance costs.  With everything electronic, it also eliminates the accidental mis-count of change by a cashier, or a cashier or manager slipping a $20 in their pocket.

#15 EmCee Al

EmCee Al

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

I suspect that the store's reopening is to move out remaining merchandise, and that the whole concept of Amtrak merchandise is going to be discontinued. 

After a change of trains today at CHI, my guess is that the above is correct.  The store is opposite the old ticket counters, and was closed today during the lunchtime hours.  Looks like a few wearables, and some other items at the counter are available.  There is a sign which notes "All sales are final", and does not note store hours.

#16 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

All sales final means clearance so when inventory is very low this store will close. End to Amtrak merchandise, unless Amtrak allows licensing by a company wanting to market Amtrak merchandise which Amtrak will no control over except their logo. Just like Universities do with all the college sweatshirts, etc.

#17 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Not taking cash? That's sure following the McDonald's model (a lot of stores in the loop are being renovated into kiosk based ordering with credit card ordering only).

The kiosks may be cash only, but there will still be a service counter...

Not sure what the kiosks in the States will do, but if they're running with the same options as the ones in Canada (who had the kiosks first, by the way), it will give you the option to pay by credit/debit/gift card, or cash via the counter.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#18 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

This is the CUS Amtrak clearance merchandise store so they can be particular. 

#19 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

After a change of trains today at CHI, my guess is that the above is correct.  The store is opposite the old ticket counters, and was closed today during the lunchtime hours.  Looks like a few wearables, and some other items at the counter are available.  There is a sign which notes "All sales are final", and does not note store hours.

There is more inventory than is shown on the shelves, and more inventory than is in the store. The manager had to leave the store and go somewhere else in the station to get the items I purchased.

#20 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

I was in Union Station on Wednesday. The store actually looked surprisingly good. They did seem to have a ton of stuff. I wonder how well the stuff sells on a normal day.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users