When is the best time to make a train reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V Tobias

I am making a trip from SW Ohio up to Vancouver, B.C. in mid-June. I'm kind of excited about it (I've made the trip before), so I have been checking things out on the Amtrak site. Would someone please tell me when is the best time to make a reservation for a long distance trip? Is it really only a couple of weeks before? Can you get better savings making the reservations a couple of months before? I'm just antsy to get started.

Also, does it save money to book each segment by itself? Or does it matter if I just book the whole thing all at once, through Amtrak's scheduling process? I know that booking each segment independently might give me more options for side trips, etc. But mostly I'm just interested in finding out how to do it the most economically.

It doesn't seem immediately apparent that a round-trip saves more money than 2 one-way trips. What's the best way to save, when booking?

Like I said, I've traveled several times before, so this isn't new. I'm just curious whether I can save MORE by booking early - or do they really only expect the passengers to book a couple of weeks ahead?

I try to book as early as possible. Some trains can sell out and many get more expensive as it gets closer to travel. Unless I plan to stop for an overnight, I book the entire one way trip on one reservation. I believe it is more economical done in that manner. I generally book the return trip on a separate reservation.

I'm already noticing the summer season trains having rising prices as people are already booking their vacations. I strongly recommend booking ASAP to get the best prices. For what it's worth, I booked my summer vacation in November!

That said, use Amsnag - http://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php - to get the best prices. Also note that you may have to book it segment by segment as the Amtrak computer (multi city) has dropped a good number of optional routings from what they used to offer about 6 months ago. In booking WNL-CHI just today, it offered going coach on 449 to ALB then NY-section sleeper to CHI, but on the return trip, it didn't. Go figure.

And yes, there is zero savings to be had booking as 'round trip'. Every segment gets whatever prices are being offered at that point in time to compute the total.

The EB is a busy train in the summer, selling out for portions of the route, so I would suggest purchasing quickly. Ticket prices as mentioned above, for this summer are already on the rise for the Western trains. There is savings in booking the entire western trip as one reservation, also if there is a delay Amtrak will get you accommodated. They wouldn't if you had separate reservations. As far as round trip, I book it all together so it is easier to pull up on the cell phone APP for the scan by the conductor. The APP displays the correct bar code for the train you are boarding.

The best time to make a reservation is when the prices are lowest.

Amtrak pricing, like the airlines, fluctuates according to demand - also known in the travel industry as dynamic, surge, or time-based pricing.

In general the earlier you book the lower the prices, but not always.

Back in August I booked a trip for next month - March '18.

I watched the pricing and when I checked in November the prices had dropped.

I called Amtrak and MODIFIED my reservation, and got the lower pricing, and got the difference in price back.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny I've had really good luck scoring low bucket roomettes and sleeper accommodations at the last minute. I've had two job interviews where I was notified of them two weeks out. And somehow I've managed to get a roomette on the Lake Shore Limited (New York Section), Empire Builder (Portland Section), and Coast Starlight (PDX-LAX) in the lowest bucket. I've also had success on the Silver Star getting low fare sleepers from the midpoint as far out as a single day before departure. But those are probably all exceptions to the rule.

What month were you planning to travel? Are you planning on using the Cardinal (3 days/week) to get to Chicago? I checked on amsnag.net for early July and found that the cheapest fare for Roomette/Roomette/bus to Vancouver from CIN was at $921. Of course you can get coach seats and get a cheaper fare. Check the Amsnag site for the range of dates that you could start your trip.

I've found that Amtrak frequently drops sleeper prices close in. I was originally booked in a roomette for my cross country trip on #422 last week. A few weeks before, I saw that the Family Bedroom (which I had wanted to switch to for a while) had dropped to the low bucket, and I snagged it. I would have been fine in a roomette, so it was safe for me to wait for the Family Room price to drop (or not drop). If I absolutely needed the Family Bedroom, and a roomette would have been unacceptable, I would have played it safe and gotten it way in advance. So, when the stakes are low, book close in. When the stakes are high, play it safe.

Penny is correct that booking early assures a reservation,and fares on normally sold out trains (if they don't start high) can rise rapidly. My experience has shown that this is often the case but not always. Ticket prices seem to vary by the day of the week, and rise as sales ramp up. If they take a dip down then we've seen prices drop a bit. I suggest doing a months price comparison on Amsnag and see what the fare structure looks like.

Unless you want to play 'Dirty Harry' and wait until not long ahead of departure (do YOU feel lucky?), definitely book as far in advance as possible. This would be especially true from June 1st through Labor Day, and Florida trains during the winter as well.

Booking well in advance, I can also request a specific room number and most of the agents know how to check its availability as well as to 'take' it. If they don't know how to do it, ask for a different agent or call back later, or the next day. Obviously, on Viewliners, I'd like the lowest roomette available, like 1 or 2. The computer will automatically come up with the lowest roomette number. On Superliners, my preference is roomette 14, second choice, 13. I like 14 because it's on the lower level for easy toilet and shower access, there's no 'window' for privacy, and it abuts the family room, which is usually empty, especially during non-summer dates. I've only had to put up with noisy kids in the family room once in the past 7-8 years.

And yes, I've seen prices drop as the departure nears. My SEA-SPG trip 6 weeks from now had a $100 drop about a month ago. I'm not sure how much of a penalty they'd hit me for to do the change, so I didn't try rebooking it for a lower rate. Based on a previous experience a couple of years ago, if I did call and do a cancel & rebook the same trip, roomette 14 might not be available as the computer doesn't free up the space until Thursday nights.

I don't expect anyone to start something new here, but can one of the veterans on this board point me to another existing thread on the basics of using Amsnag? I pick up bits and pieces here and there but thought there may be a definitive source. Looks pretty rudimentary to me but there may be tidbits and tricks that are not readily apparent. Or perhaps there are quirks to look out for. For example, I tried to enter PGH to POR and it said "cannot get from here to there." Certainly, you can! A related question: while fares may fluctuate by date based on availability, do the price of AGR points move in relation to fares or are they constant? I do realize you need to check for points in the reservation system. Thanks for any advice.

For example, I tried to enter PGH to POR and it said "cannot get from here to there." Certainly, you can!
I dunno. Maybe you really can't!
default_mda.gif

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 7.59.20 AM.png

The problem is that you arrive at Boston South at 10:15 PM and the last train to Portland leaves from Boston North at 10:30 PM. The computer will not link PGH to POR since the connection can not be made same day. If you use multi-City you can arrive Boston at 10:15 PM then take 9:05 AM the next morning.

Multi-City

Pittsburgh, PA

Multiple Segments

4/18/2018

$132.00

42 Pennsylvanian
7h 25m

Pittsburgh, PA

Philadelphia, PA

Amtrak Station

30th Street Station

7:30 am
Wed, Apr 18

2:55 pm
Wed, Apr 18

94 Northeast Regional
6h 18m

Philadelphia, PA

Boston, MA

30th Street Station

South Station

3:57 pm
Wed, Apr 18

10:15 pm
Wed, Apr 18

681 Downeaster
2h 30m

Boston, MA

Portland, ME

North Station

9:05 am
Thu, Apr 19

11:35 am
Thu, Apr 19

1 Traveler

I don't expect anyone to start something new here, but can one of the veterans on this board point me to another existing thread on the basics of using Amsnag? I pick up bits and pieces here and there but thought there may be a definitive source. Looks pretty rudimentary to me but there may be tidbits and tricks that are not readily apparent. Or perhaps there are quirks to look out for. For example, I tried to enter PGH to POR and it said "cannot get from here to there." Certainly, you can! A related question: while fares may fluctuate by date based on availability, do the price of AGR points move in relation to fares or are they constant? I do realize you need to check for points in the reservation system. Thanks for any advice.
Use Amsnag 2.01 - http://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php. It’s the newest (and best) version. Put in your departure/destination station codes, the date, and the number of days to check (maximum is 30). Hit enter and pick the trains/accommodations you want. It will then list all the fares.

Oh, and AGR points are calculated directly from the current cash fare.

Unless you want to play 'Dirty Harry' and wait until not long ahead of departure (do YOU feel lucky?), definitely book as far in advance as possible. This would be especially true from June 1st through Labor Day, and Florida trains during the winter as well.

Booking well in advance, I can also request a specific room number and most of the agents know how to check its availability as well as to 'take' it. If they don't know how to do it, ask for a different agent or call back later, or the next day. Obviously, on Viewliners, I'd like the lowest roomette available, like 1 or 2. The computer will automatically come up with the lowest roomette number. On Superliners, my preference is roomette 14, second choice, 13. I like 14 because it's on the lower level for easy toilet and shower access, there's no 'window' for privacy, and it abuts the family room, which is usually empty, especially during non-summer dates. I've only had to put up with noisy kids in the family room once in the past 7-8 years.

And yes, I've seen prices drop as the departure nears. My SEA-SPG trip 6 weeks from now had a $100 drop about a month ago. I'm not sure how much of a penalty they'd hit me for to do the change, so I didn't try rebooking it for a lower rate. Based on a previous experience a couple of years ago, if I did call and do a cancel & rebook the same trip, roomette 14 might not be available as the computer doesn't free up the space until Thursday nights.
I'm new to this forum and making a trip from Albuquerque to Chicago this week on train #4. I just got a low priced upgrade from a coach ticket to a roomette - assigned #13. I saw the post above and am wondering if #13 doesn't have a window? See my bold above.

Other newbie questions if anyone can help:

Does the sleeper car have decaf coffee available? or maybe hot water to make my own?

I'm solo in the roomette- is there a chance, if I ask nicely, that I can get 2 pillows?

Will there be towels in the shower room, enough to use what I need, or are they issued one per passenger?

It's my understanding that there are no hair products - shampoo or conditioner, but is there soap?

I've only been in Viewliner roomettes, and that was almost 20 years ago, so things have changed... then we got personal hygiene kits.

Many thanks for your help here! m--

I can answer a few questions. Although I have never been in a downstairs roomette, I believe that they all have windows to the outside. The poster you quoted may have been referring to a window into the hallway, but I am not sure.

In my experience, I have not seen decaf coffee. The coffee is made in a coffee pot and there is not spigot for hot water. Your attendant may offer to bring you hot water from the dining car. If she/he does not, you could go to the cafe car (or dining car if they are not busy) and ask for a cup of hot water (and explain that you are in a sleeper).

There should be at least 2 pillows in your room. When the attendant makes up your bed, ask her/him for both pillows.

I usually travel in a bedroom and use the shower in my room (where towels are provided). Soap is also provided, but I use my own. I assume that the community showers have towels and soap available.

Enjoy your trip.

All Superliner roomettes have windows on both side of the room. One side is to the hallway though and passengers usually keep the curtains drawn over the windows on the hallway side.

There are 2 full (for a single bed) pillows, and 2 hangers in each room. There are also 2 face towels in each roomette. IIRC 2 wash cloths too.

Bigger towels are in or near the 'roomette community' shower that's there on the lower level near the #13 roomette. Yep. Just soap. no shampoo, etc.

Click on this link to see the layout of the several Superliner Car types.

http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

There are also many, many YouTube videos that give Superliner and viewliner sleeper tours.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Superliner+Roomette

Here is a lower level Roomette video:

I can answer a few questions. Although I have never been in a downstairs roomette, I believe that they all have windows to the outside. The poster you quoted may have been referring to a window into the hallway, but I am not sure.

In my experience, I have not seen decaf coffee. The coffee is made in a coffee pot and there is not spigot for hot water. Your attendant may offer to bring you hot water from the dining car. If she/he does not, you could go to the cafe car (or dining car if they are not busy) and ask for a cup of hot water (and explain that you are in a sleeper).

There should be at least 2 pillows in your room. When the attendant makes up your bed, ask her/him for both pillows.

I usually travel in a bedroom and use the shower in my room (where towels are provided). Soap is also provided, but I use my own. I assume that the community showers have towels and soap available.

Enjoy your trip.

All Superliner roomettes have windows on both side of the room. One side is to the hallway though and passengers usually keep the curtains drawn over the windows on the hallway side.

There are 2 full (for a single bed) pillows, and 2 hangers in each room. There are also 2 face towels in each roomette. IIRC 2 wash cloths too.

Bigger towels are in or near the 'roomette community' shower that's there on the lower level near the #13 roomette. Yep. Just soap. no shampoo, etc.

Click on this link to see the layout of the several Superliner Car types.

http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

There are also many, many YouTube videos that give Superliner and viewliner sleeper tours.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Superliner+Roomette

Here is a lower level Roomette video:

Many thanks for the help! I will bring a couple of decaf coffee "tea" bags and request hot water.

I will bring a bit of hair care for the shower; seems I don't need to bring an extra towel.

Good to hear that I should be able to have 2 pillows, one under my knees to help my back.

I didn't think of the window into the hallway! That's probably what was referred to. I think I can live just fine with not having that.

The YouTubes are enlightening. I had looked at some of them previously but didn't pay too much attention because I was ticketed for coach... until I got VERY lucky: I was checking schedules and pricing at the 1-week from departure mark when I discovered that there were no longer coach seats being offered. I called and was told the train was sold out except for a few sleeper rooms....AND the roomettes were now $100 lower than than before - the rep on the phone did say it was their lowest fare! I was able to have my SAVER fare applied to the roomette and pay the difference for the upgrade, very happy because I wasn't sure they would do that! Then, when I looked back at the website, refreshed it, I saw my newly relinquished coach seat available, BUT the roomettes were now almost $200 more than I had just paid 5 minutes before! They are still set at that rate today, 3 days out, a price about $100 more than when I originally booked the coach seat. Interesting to note that the Family Bedroom is now priced lower than the roomette, so my guess it will be occupied by the time of departure.

I don't understand the pricing system, but I am very grateful that I was able to snag a better price at 1-week out, perhaps what is called here a "low bucket" price? I don' t know how to tell what "bucket level" the pricing is at, maybe by experience. I wondered if the good price I got was because the roomette was on the lower level; I was not savvy enough to ask the rep on the phone which car, which roomette number at the time I made the upgrade, but I'm certain I will be happier travelling in #13 than in a sold-out coach.

Again, many thanks for your help and quick replies on this forum. m--

Depending on on your SCA and how full the car is, you may be able to get an additional pillow or two. I have lucked out nearly every time that I've asked.

Getting extra bottled water...well, that's another story!

I didn't think of the window into the hallway! That's probably what was referred to. I think I can live just fine with not having that.
All of the roomettes have a window that looks into the hallway. I'm not sure what bratkinson is talking about when they say #14 doesn't have a window.

14 does not have a hall window. Neither the family room nor the handicap room have windows in the doors.

Posting from downstairs on 11(5) car #1130.
default_wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back