Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak CEO says passenger trains may not run over track without PTC

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

No his beef is about the route a ross Raton Pass - Trinidad to Lamy

Oh, right. Wasn't there some different issue with Rail Runner as well, though?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#62 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,515 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

No his beef is about the route a ross Raton Pass - Trinidad to Lamy

Oh, right. Wasn't there some different issue with Rail Runner as well, though?
Yes. That issue of lack of funding is now fixed.
  • cpotisch likes this

#63 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

The one that interests me is the Caltrans one on the Coast Line. I wonder if Amtrak made some behind the scenes threats to California on this? UP wasn't planning to install it.

It's Caltrain, not Caltrans. Not yet, anyway. Caltrain is a separate agency. It runs commuter trains between San Francisco and San Jose, with three weekday trains to Gilroy on the Coast Line.

For now, there's no Caltrans managed/subsidised train service between San Jose and SLO. That could change if the Capitol Corridor is extended to Salinas, or if the Coast Daylight ever gets going. There's also a concept (doesn't rise to the level of a plan, IMHO :-) for train service that connects the Salinas Valley to high speed rail at Gilroy. Not holding my breath for that.

I don't know what kind of threats Amtrak would make to Caltrans, or anyone else in California. To the extent Caltrans cares, threatening to cancel the Starlight would only serve to piss off Amtrak's biggest customer. I don't think Caltrans cares much, though. It runs better and more frequent bus service between San Jose and SLO/Santa Barbara.

That said, I could certainly see Caltrans pushing for PTC money on the Coast Line for its own purposes.

Edited by TiBike, 25 August 2018 - 08:43 PM.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#64 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,515 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:15 AM

June PTC Progress Report from FRA

https://www.fra.dot....app/ptcprogress

Mind you by now another three months worth of progress has been made. This was the status in June.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users