Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Red Caps to meet arriving Cardinal at NY Penn Station

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

The Cardinal is scheduled to arrive at NY Penn Station at 9:58 PM at night. Does anyone know if the Red Caps are usually still around that late at night to help arriving passengers get their luggage to street level? What about if the train is late? Thanks.

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,965 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

I am not certain for sure, but I believe there will be Red Caps available for the arrival of the Cardinal, even if it is late. After all, the Red Caps are Amtrak employees.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

There are redcaps, but not many, at that time of night. Be sure to let a conductor, or your sleeper attendant, know before arrival, that you need assistance....

#4 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

Thank you both.

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

There are a few Red Caps, but like stated above make sure to let someone know, Conductor or your Attendant, so they can make sure sure you are taken care of.

#6 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

In order for Amtrak to claim they offer Red Cap assistance at a station, they basically have to be on duty for any train departure/arrival, regardless of the time.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#7 ain't no Metroliner

ain't no Metroliner

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

So not only did we get in at night, but we got in over five hours late, so it was 3:15 AM!!!! There was one red cap on duty and he was great. He was first helping another group, so I requested his assistance and he said to stay where we were on the platform and he would come back for us. Sure enough he came back and brought all our carry-on stuff up to the baggage claim and then he brought out our checked bags about 10 minutes later and then brought everything up to street level. Excellent service. It also helped that there was practically no one left on the train by that point, so there wasn't much demand for red cap service. I think the sleeper may have been completely empty, and we were the only ones left in business class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users