Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Rocketmiles & reward points

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nanavc

nanavc

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Train travel,Exploring new places, music, reading

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Has anyone here booked their hotel through Rocketmiles? They have an Amtrak reward promo going on, but I'm leery of booking through someplace I'm not familiar with.

#2 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

I've never used them, but I believe other members here have and had decent luck with them (the reservation went through fine to the hotel and the points posted promptly after the stay.)

I will advise, however, to check the hotel's website directly to compare. Typically Rocketmiles charges the standard regular price for the room but restricts it to a non-refundable rate. Most hotels sell those at 10-20% less than the standard refundable rate, so Rocketmiles basically pays for the miles out of that difference plus the commission they charge hotels as a travel agent. It'll also be a third party reservation, which hotels typically won't count as stays for hotel points or rewards tier benefits (for example, some hotels offer high-tier members free breakfast, but that typically won't apply to a third-party reservation.) 

For some people, though, those downfalls are minor compared to the points earned through a Rocketmiles booking. As long as you're going in with the right mindset, a Rocketmiles booking should be fine.

#3 Bex

Bex

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

I've done it, also while they were running an Amtrak promotion. No issues at all.

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

I have, for American Advantage miles.  Not all hotels in the locale are listed, and I find prices a bit higher, which means you're probably paying for those points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users