Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Rocketmiles & reward points

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nanavc

nanavc

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Train travel,Exploring new places, music, reading

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Has anyone here booked their hotel through Rocketmiles? They have an Amtrak reward promo going on, but I'm leery of booking through someplace I'm not familiar with.

#2 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:22 PM

I've never used them, but I believe other members here have and had decent luck with them (the reservation went through fine to the hotel and the points posted promptly after the stay.)

I will advise, however, to check the hotel's website directly to compare. Typically Rocketmiles charges the standard regular price for the room but restricts it to a non-refundable rate. Most hotels sell those at 10-20% less than the standard refundable rate, so Rocketmiles basically pays for the miles out of that difference plus the commission they charge hotels as a travel agent. It'll also be a third party reservation, which hotels typically won't count as stays for hotel points or rewards tier benefits (for example, some hotels offer high-tier members free breakfast, but that typically won't apply to a third-party reservation.) 

For some people, though, those downfalls are minor compared to the points earned through a Rocketmiles booking. As long as you're going in with the right mindset, a Rocketmiles booking should be fine.

#3 Bex

Bex

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

I've done it, also while they were running an Amtrak promotion. No issues at all.

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

I have, for American Advantage miles.  Not all hotels in the locale are listed, and I find prices a bit higher, which means you're probably paying for those points.

#5 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

If I can find a hotel $100 or under with Rocketmiles offering 1000 points it's worth it.

#6 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

It costs about $38 to buy 1000 points I check the Rocketmiles price,Trivago and the hotels website. If the other prices are more than $40 below Rocketmiles it's not worth it. Iv e had good luck with Rocketmiles. Later this week I got a Microtel that is only $10 more than the lowest price elsewhere.

#7 Blackshirt Husker

Blackshirt Husker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

I went through them once a few years ago—there were no problems and my points posted quickly. Having said that, their prices are not great. I would only use them if the points you’re getting in return are substantial.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: Three Rivers, Silver Palm, Piedmont, Northeast Regional, California Zephyr, Keystone, Southwest Chief, Lakeshore Limited, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Empire Builder, Texas Eagle, Ethan Allen Express, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, Wolverine. Wish list: Cascades, Cardinal. Lifetime Rail Miles Traveled: 46,828 (and counting).

#8 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

It costs about $38 to buy 1000 points I check the Rocketmiles price,Trivago and the hotels website. If the other prices are more than $40 below Rocketmiles it's not worth it. Iv e had good luck with Rocketmiles. Later this week I got a Microtel that is only $10 more than the lowest price elsewhere.

Why would value points based on how much Amtrak charges to purchase them rather than on how much Amtrak credits you when redeeming them toward a trip?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users