Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Food in and around PSNY

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

DA, the slices I had were very good. Messy but good. And I paid a decent price too. For 2 slices of pepperoni and a large coke it was $11.50. Which IMO for NYC is a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#22 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

When I go, I get one slice of mushroom pizza (and no drink since I always have water with me).  I pay $4.50.  Up until about a year ago it was $4.00.  They do not take credit cards for purchases under $10.00 and they do not sell beer, but their pizza is great.

Amtrak miles: 246,317; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#23 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

When I had a layover in New York, I ate at Macy*s, which is just a couple blocks away.  There is an Italian restaurant with views of the Empire State Building, and four food trucks plus a bar-and-grill in the basement.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#24 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:43 AM

Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, Hill County has some really great BBQ at good prices. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants https://hillcountry.com/nyc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!! I so miss Hill Country BBQ in DC. Always recommend it to anyone I can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#25 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

When I go, I get one slice of mushroom pizza (and no drink since I always have water with me).  I pay $4.50.  Up until about a year ago it was $4.00.  They do not take credit cards for purchases under $10.00 and they do not sell beer, but their pizza is great.

Penny, I normally have two slices of pizza no matter where I go. I think for the first time I could have gotten away with one. But either way the price for 2 slices and a large soda for NYC is a great price! 

Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, Hill County has some really great BBQ at good prices. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants https://hillcountry.com/nyc/

Thanks for the indirect suggestion. Lol!! I will say that banana pudding was amazeballs. I bought a medium and crushed it in less then 5 minutes. :o 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#26 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

Penny, I normally have two slices of pizza no matter where I go. I think for the first time I could have gotten away with one. But either way the price for 2 slices and a large soda for NYC is a great price! 

Thanks for the indirect suggestion. Lol!! I will say that banana pudding was amazeballs. I bought a medium and crushed it in less then 5 minutes. :o 
I completely forgot about the one in NYC, or only ever ordered from/eaten at the one in DC. Would typically use Uber Eats to deliver it, in fact.

And I told you the pudding was good! After I slipped off the diet...I'd end up going up there at least twice a month when passing through on 178 on Mondays. If it was a real bad day I'd order Shake Shack when in Newark, and stop at Magnolia on the way back to the train.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#27 City of Miami

City of Miami

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

For 2 slices of pepperoni and a large coke it was $11.50. Which IMO for NYC is a good price.
Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last month I ducked in a pizza place on 71st & Bway, SW corner. It was amazingly good and the place was packed all 3 x in 2 days I went back! :-) $2.75 for 1 slice cheese and they take cc as well as deliver by bike even tho it was freezing cold!

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

I love 'Food Gallery 32'. It's a Korean food court with plenty of choices. There's bubble tea, Korean BBQ, Ramen, soup, various desserts. Here's the yelp page: https://www.yelp.com...ery-32-new-york

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

I forgot the one place that I go into Penn station for lunch, Shake Shack.

I live in NY, so my pre-departure meal at NY Penn is always Shake Shack. :) When elsewhere, I always eat at a local joint.

Edited by cpotisch, 14 February 2018 - 08:17 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users