Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Food in and around PSNY

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Folks, any recommendations for food in or around Penn Station?? Thanks!!

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,413 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

NY Pizza Suprema, 31st Street and 8th Avenue, across the street from Penn Station.

Amtrak miles: 233,112; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

I already told you! Pudding from Magnolia!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#4 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:35 AM

I second and third Penny’s suggestion. This is probably the ONLY restaurant penny and I agree on.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#5 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

Very true, the banana pudding is delish!  Trax bar/restaurant has great food and is next to LIRR ticket windows....

#6 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

NY Pizza Suprema, 31st Street and 8th Avenue, across the street from Penn Station.

Pretty much the only post this thread needs. 

Across the street. Quick and great pizza. 

41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#7 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

Two good choices are within Macy's Herald Square.

Stella 34 (updated Italian-American)

https://www.patinagr.../stella-34/menu

Rowlands Pub (Burgers, Steak and the like)

https://www.patinagroup.com/rowlands

Ken 

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#8 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Penny. Seems like that’s another AU favorite for pizza.

Lol!! I’ll grab that on the way home!!!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#9 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

Two slices of roni at the suggested pizza joint.

Attached File  IMG_1636.jpg   2.91MB   20 downloads

#10 Bex

Bex

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

The Pennsy food hall.

http://www.thepennsy.nyc/

#11 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,791 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

If you have the time and the funds for something more than 'fast-food', I'll pay it forward, and recommend this restaurant that I learned about in an earlier thread on this same topic right here....It is just a few blocks away from Penn Station....

http://www.keens.com

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#12 philabos

philabos

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

The Tracks Lounge just to the east of the LIRR ticket windows.
Long bar, fresh oysters, and clam chowder in a bread bowl if you like seafood.

#13 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

Hey, I'm drooling over here!

#14 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

So how was it? Looks so much better than the usual Doughminos or PlasticJohns. We have a couple by-the-slice places here but they really only make two kinds of pies. If you order anything other than cheese or pepperoni they simply add your toppings to an already baked cheese slice.  Which means the moment you pick it up the toppings all fall off and then you're back to a cheese slice at twice the price.  <_<

If you have the time and the funds for something more than 'fast-food', I'll pay it forward, and recommend this restaurant that I learned about in an earlier thread on this same topic right here....It is just a few blocks away from Penn Station....http://www.keens.com

Were the steaks especially tasty and flavorful?  The photos give it a lot of character but at first glance the menu seems a bit overpriced.  I know it's NYC but $18 for an iceberg wedge with tomatoes and bacon?  I'm not uncomfortable paying extra for a truly exceptional meal but it's not like lettuce and pork are scarce ingredients and there's only so much culinary sophistication you can add to a conventional lettuce wedge.  Makes me wonder how much the other items might be marked up.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 12 February 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#15 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

keens is a very good steakhouse. The thing about that area is that there are so many good choices at almost all price points, cuisines, and restaurant types from hole in the wall to top shelf. The 5 years I worked in that area were a time of major weight gain.

#16 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,791 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

So how was it? Looks so much better than the usual Doughminos or PlasticJohns. We have a couple by-the-slice places here but they really only make two kinds of pies. If you order anything other than cheese or pepperoni they simply add your toppings to an already baked cheese slice.  Which means the moment you pick it up the toppings all fall off and then you're back to a cheese slice at twice the price.  <_<

If you have the time and the funds for something more than 'fast-food', I'll pay it forward, and recommend this restaurant that I learned about in an earlier thread on this same topic right here....It is just a few blocks away from Penn Station....http://www.keens.com

Were the steaks especially tasty and flavorful?  The photos give it a lot of character but at first glance the menu seems a bit overpriced.  I know it's NYC but $18 for an iceberg wedge with tomatoes and bacon?  I'm not uncomfortable paying extra for a truly exceptional meal but it's not like lettuce and pork are scarce ingredients and there's only so much culinary sophistication you can add to a conventional lettuce wedge.  Makes me wonder how much the other items might be marked up.

My meal there consisted of the 'wedge', the 12 oz. filet, and fries.....certainly nothing sophisticated, but this 'meat and potatoes' guy was very satisfied....I highly recommend it....I would put it against any of the well-known Manhattan steak houses, and I've tried a good sampling of them....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#17 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

Depending on how much time you have and how far you want to walk, Hill County has some really great BBQ at good prices. It’s one of my all time favorite restaurants https://hillcountry.com/nyc/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Has anybody eaten at the Nordic/Scandinavian place in Penn?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#19 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

I've been to supreme several times and highly recommend it. Pretty sure it's the best by-the-slice place I've been to in NYC..  and it was rated #1 by the blogger who literally tried every NYC pizza place several years ago. 

They have several different types of pies.. my favorite is the eggplant pizza... it's crazy good... if you're into that kind of thing. ha. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#20 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

I forgot the one place that I go into Penn station for lunch, Shake Shack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users