Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Georgia's Proposed Truck Only Highway

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

https://www.wabe.org...-highway-worth/

We already have these, they're called railroads!

For anyone in the know, what generally cost more, a stretch of double track or a two lane highway?

(I assume the cargo throughput is equivilant on both. Could obviously be wrong.)

#2 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

Let's be honest, who will benefit from such roads? Fleets of self driving trucks don't fill me with hope for either existing driver jobs nor the environment.

Ed.

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:38 AM

A large stretch of the New Jersey Turnpike, divides its 12 lanes into two, three lane roadways, in each direction.....the inner roadways are reserved for "passenger cars (and motorcycles) only"; and the outer roadways are for "cars, trucks, and buses"......So trucks are restricted to the outer roadways, and further banned from the left lane of those outer roadways (buses are allowed in the left and sometimes fourth carpool lane).

Sp those are not really 'truck only roads", but come close, especially in use...few cars use the outer lane, to stay away from the trucks....

I-495 between the NJTP and Lincoln Tunnel does have a 'bus only' contraflow lane in the inbound morning commute...buses only--no carpools.

Edited by railiner, 11 February 2018 - 02:41 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:52 AM

I use the truck lanes exclusively. Its a lot faster.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:35 AM

If I was driving in my car, I would prefer to avoid being near trucks....first of all, it's hard to see around them, secondly, their tires throw a lot of debris into the air behind them, they don't always remove snow and ice from their roofs, and that can blow back at you, as well as material's from improperly covered loads. Heavy diesel exhaust is not pleasant, either.  And finally, if there is a accident, you don't stand a chance if you happen to get hit by one of them, compared to a car....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

I too am a cars/trucks lane user. Trucks behave in mostly predictable fashion, and (for the most part) act like the professional drivers that they are.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

I too am a cars/trucks lane user. Trucks behave in mostly predictable fashion, and (for the most part) act like the professional drivers that they are.

That certainly is true...but on balance, I still think it is safer to travel among other cars....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

I used to drive on I 95 into Baltimore everyday for around 13 years. The trucks were restricted to the right two lanes and acted as if no car had a right to be in these lanes. Routinely they tailgated dangerously close and exhibited extremely aggressive behavior.

Not saying that all truck drivers engage in such dangerous behavior, but I don’t believe that the average driver is the (Knight of the Road” that they used to be.

I have found that when cars and trucks have different speed limits as they do in some states, there are fewer problems.

One of the biggest problems is that in hilly country, the trucks rush downhill and crawl up hill resulting in frequent interaction, passing, repassing etc.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#9 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

That’s not a problem, that’s physics.

Understand it, let them do their thing, and work around it.

Yes, it’s annoying when a truck going 55.5 MPH decides to pass a truck going 55 MPH going up a hill, but it isn’t the end of the world.

Things work better and are safer when everyone is going closer to the same speed. Differential speed limits make that worse, not better.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#10 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

My experience is that when trucks are going 55 and cars are going 65, there is less of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

I wonder what mythical land you live in where anyone is actually driving the speed limit.
Posted Image

#12 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:40 PM

Speed limits on Interstate Highways in rural areas are usually arbitrary, and artificial....in place more for revenue enhancement for violation's, than for actual safety.   I read somewhere (I believe Car and Driver), that the best speed for such highways are that at which 85% of driver's are at or below when naturally chosen, without artificial posted limits....

Here is perhaps a better explanation of this....

http://www.mikeontra...peed-explained/

Edited by railiner, 14 February 2018 - 11:45 PM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users