Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Any recent Coast Starlight Business Class reviews?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NativeSon5859

NativeSon5859

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

I'll be taking Business Class from EMY to SEA in about two weeks. Has anyone tried out this service recently and if so, would you say it's a better experience that regular coach? I've ridden in Business Class on the Crescent twice, and about the only truly positive thing that I can say was that I was basically guaranteed a pair of seats to myself. Assuming that to be the case here, but who knows?

Thanks! 

U.S: Acela Express, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Cascades, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Three Rivers, Twilight Shoreliner, Vermonter

Europe: Cisalpino, EuroCity, Eurostar Italia, ICE, TGV, TGV Duplex, Thalys

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

I rode the Business Class car returning from the Gathering from Portland to San Luis Obispo in early October. It was essentially the same car as a regular coach, but I did have two seats to myself ( don’t believe that is guaranteed, though ), the car was neat and clean, and the young lady who was the attendant was very sweet. As an overnight in coach goes, it was a pleasant trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

I asked that question back in January, the response was that it's inconsistent. It can be very pleasant or it can be meh.

#4 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

IMHO it's only worthwhile if each passenger has two seats to themselves. If it fills up to the point that singles are moved around to accommodate families then it's not worth the supplement.

#5 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

I'll be taking Business Class from EMY to SEA in about two weeks. Has anyone tried out this service recently and if so, would you say it's a better experience that regular coach? I've ridden in Business Class on the Crescent twice, and about the only truly positive thing that I can say was that I was basically guaranteed a pair of seats to myself. Assuming that to be the case here, but who knows?

Thanks! 

I didn't take business class but I was on the Coast Starlight in December. We ate twice with passengers who were traveling in business class. Both the ladies said it was better than coach. I've got one or two pictures of the car and seats from the trip here: http://seat38a.com/a...roomette-day-2/

The seats are essentially same as coach but leather. I did notice that the business class car was much more crowded when the route overlaps with the corridor train like the Surfliner. You may have a situation where you have two seats to yourself except between PDX and SEA.

#6 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Are the Coast Starlight business class seats covered with real leather, or a synthetic material that mimics leather.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#7 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

It’s a leather faux.

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#8 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

So, a fully leather-seated BC Superliner does exist...

I'm interested in knowing how many of these cars were converted in such a manner.  My two experiences with Coast Starlight Business Class had me in a normal Superliner coach (normal coach seating on both levels) on one trip and a split-converted coach (leather seats on lower level, normal cloth coach seats upstairs) on the second trip.

Like everything on Amtrak, the only consistent thing you can count on is inconsistency.  :(

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#9 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

Acela150 is saying they used fake (faux/synthetic) leather to cover the CS BC car seats.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#10 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Aside from the possibility of getting a single seat or a double seat to yourself, and minimal other perks, the best thing -- this is really important to me -- BC is rarely occupied by noisy kids of any age.

#11 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

So, a fully leather-seated BC Superliner does exist...

I'm interested in knowing how many of these cars were converted in such a manner.  My two experiences with Coast Starlight Business Class had me in a normal Superliner coach (normal coach seating on both levels) on one trip and a split-converted coach (leather seats on lower level, normal cloth coach seats upstairs) on the second trip.

Like everything on Amtrak, the only consistent thing you can count on is inconsistency.  :(

Inconsistency, like during the heritage era which I think most of us celebrated if we were around then. LOL

#12 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

There are actually pretty good reasons why BC varies so much. In many cases, it is a product of what is agreed on for a state supported route, Amtrak is not the sole decision maker. What would be nice would be a little grid chart that lists the routes, and the equipment and amenities normally associated with that service.

#13 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

For an overnight journey, I would definitely choose business coach over coach on the CS. But first preference would remain a sleeping room.

#14 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

There are actually pretty good reasons why BC varies so much. In many cases, it is a product of what is agreed on for a state supported route, Amtrak is not the sole decision maker. What would be nice would be a little grid chart that lists the routes, and the equipment and amenities normally associated with that service.

The Coast Starlight is not state-supported although, part of its route is the same as the state-supported Pacific Surfliner. Eugene to Seattle, the route is the same as the state(s) supported Cascades.

Edited by FrensicPic, 09 February 2018 - 08:31 PM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#15 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

Even on Amtraks LD trains they can't decide what Business Class includes...

Coast Starlight = 2 bottles of water and credit for food and beverage

Crescent = "complimentary non-alcaholic beverages" - whatever that means

Cardinal = "a complimentary non-alcaholic beverage"

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#16 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Like I said, in many cases (not all) A simple chart would be a big help, and pretty simple to implement.

#17 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

Like I said, in many cases (not all) A simple chart would be a big help, and pretty simple to implement.

No... You said it varies because of state involvement... Clearly that's not the only problem as Amtrak can't decide what their own LD trains should provide in BC.

Don't forget Amtrak also chooses to advertise Acela Coach as Business Class even though Acela passengers receive no benefits.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#18 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

Please re read my original post. I specifically said in many cases. That is certainly true. I don't see the ambiguity. 

#19 Geordie405

Geordie405

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

I had one business class trip on the CS and it was hell, and that was mainly due to the staff member who was responsible for the business class car.  The number of passengers who didn't complain could be counted on one hand.

Anyway, that aside, I decided that for future trips from Sacramento to Los Angeles I would pay the premium and have a roomette.  The increase in comfort plus the fact that all three meals are included made it almost a wash in terms of cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users