Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Acela 2150 decouples at 125mph (2/6/18)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

they always install from bottom, there happens to be entire railcar on top of that spring pack.

#42 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

The FRA has unsurprisingly since said that the Railway Age article is inaccurate.

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

#43 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

Paywall, can we get a "fair use" quote?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#44 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

Oh I thought they gave you the first paragraph, which is the relevant part.

A Federal Railroad Administration spokeswoman says information in a Railway Age article on the separation of an Amtrak Acela Express train on Feb. 5 is inaccurate, based a preliminary report that was not intended for public release.

#45 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,732 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

From the Trains website - fair use quote:

WASHINGTON — A Federal Railroad Administration spokeswoman says information in a Railway Age article on the separation of an Amtrak Acela Express train on Feb. 5 is inaccurate, based a preliminary report that was not intended for public release.

The report, which Railway Age published Feb. 8, indicates that a drawbar pin on an Acela coach dropped out of place, which led to the separation of Acela Express No. 2150 near Havre de Grace, Md., in the early hours of Feb. 5.

Here is how Railway Age has walked itself back from their original claim of authenticity etc.:

http://www.railwayag...html?channel=54

#46 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

The Wayback Machine grabbed the original version of the Railway Age article, which said that "The Federal Railroad Administration has issued preliminary findings..." instead of "Railway Age has obtained an internal Federal Railroad Administration narrative..."  Certainly changes how credibly one takes their article.

#47 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Thanks - it will be fascinating to see what the final word is.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#48 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:39 PM

Oh so you do use the bathroom. I thought they made you hold it all day.

The Acela goes so fast that it's not an issue.

Unless, of course, you're as old as I am.
Or if you're working on the equipment for 17 hours

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#49 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

Hello all.

First, there was no coupler, so use of the word "couple" is a bit questionable. The Acela cars are connected by permanent drawbars that are secured with pins. Those pins are supposed to be installed or removed in a shop. Normally, Acela cars cannot be separated on the road. One of those pins dislodged, allowing the drawbar to come loose. I have no idea how this could have happened, and I am sure some very serious questions are being asked'

The separation of a permanent drawbar should never EVER happen.  The investigation is going to head for the maintenance shops or the materials order.

If it turns out to be Bombardier's fault, I'm not even sure they have any money left to pay damages.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#50 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

following picture proves formerOBS wrong , they do have couplers, just not the standard AAR type. 

amtrak10003.jpg

#51 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

You posted that picture yesterday.
Posted Image

#52 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

your right, but somehow a certain poster still said there was no couplers

#53 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:23 PM

your right, but somehow a certain poster still said there was no couplers

And the point of proving someone wrong? That wasn't the point of his post...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#54 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:30 PM

Also, Jaap posted it for the first time after FormerOBS's post, so I'm not sure what value there is in coming back and making the same pointless post a second time.
Posted Image

#55 crescent2

crescent2

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

And the point of proving someone wrong? That wasn't the point of his post...

What's wrong with you, Triley??!  :giggle:   

People prove each other wrong on here all the time whether they are or not.  It's a rule. 

And give reprimands for whining, go on political rants, derail threads (I'm especially good at that), fight tipping wars, etc. etc.  :P 

But I can't seem to stay away for more than a few months at a time.  It's addictive. 

Has anyone heard from June the Coach Rider?  I miss her.  Also, what happened to the guy who loves the buses? 

#56 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

The involved set #6(2031/2030) was released and has already moved to Boston.

#57 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:38 PM

Moderator note: Please keep the conversation on-topic to the decoupling. Off-topic posts have and will continue to be hidden.

Thank you.

#58 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

So what it boils down to is unconscious uncoupling?

• Thirdrail7 likes this

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#59 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,732 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

And for those throwing a hissyfit about "uncoupling" - "detachment"? :P

#60 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

What’s both funny and sad about this is the timing. This is one of MANY Amtrak incidents in such a short timespan: Silver Star; Cascades 501, this. Whether they’re Amtrak’s fault or not, these incidents are contributing to decreased funding and a poor public opinion of Amtrak.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by cpotisch, 26 February 2018 - 07:43 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users