Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Acela 2150 decouples at 125mph (2/6/18)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 jamess

jamess

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

A high-speed Amtrak train bound for Penn Station broke apart as it was cruising through Maryland on Tuesday, sources told The Post.

The 2150 Acela was traveling from Washington D.C. to the Big Apple when the incident happened at about 11:20 a.m. The train was traveling at about 125 mph, according to the source.

“Someone could have been walking through the train when that happened and fell to their death,” said the source.

https://nypost.com/2...aign=SocialFlow

amtrak_acela.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=

#2 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

This will be an interesting investigation. Materials fatigue?
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#3 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

I believe this is a more accurate/updated quote from the article

The 2150 Acela was traveling from Washington D.C. to the Big Apple when the incident happened at about 6:30 a.m. The train was traveling at about 125 mph, according to the source.

“Someone could have been walking through the train when that happened and fell to their death,” said the source.

Amtrak miles: 248,633; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#4 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Why would anyone be walking between the locomotive and the coaches at speed?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#5 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Huh?  Can't people walk throughout the train if they want to?

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#6 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

jb

The derailment happened between the locomotive and the first coach. Usually they keep that door locked. I suppose PennyK's hypothetical could be if the decoupling happened anywhere else in the train. But in this case it didn't. Was between the loco and first coach.

That picture makes one wonder if the train was recently in the shop and the coupling pin was incorrectly installed, forgotten, or if it hadn't been recently serviced, fatigued. If the last, then all trains need to stop now and be inspected.

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#7 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

The article says between two cars... The news may be wrong but I don't see any other source saying it was between the locomotive and a coach.

What kept the train connected at 125?

Edited by crescent-zephyr, 06 February 2018 - 02:31 PM.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#8 BmoreFlyer

BmoreFlyer

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

Another article says it was between the first class car and the quiet car:

http://abc7ny.com/tr...20-mph/3043484/

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,732 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

jb

The derailment happened between the locomotive and the first coach. Usually they keep that door locked. I suppose PennyK's hypothetical could be if the decoupling happened anywhere else in the train. But in this case it didn't. Was between the loco and first coach.

There was no derailment.

The uncopupling did not happen between the power head and first coach. it was betwwen the First Class and the Quiet Car. That would be the first and second passenger car, so indeed someone could have been walking through. Fortunately that was not the case.

Edited by jis, 06 February 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#10 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

jb

There was no derailment.

The uncopupling did not happen between the power head and first coach. it was betwwen the First Class and the Quiet Car. That would be the first and second passenger car, so indeed someone could have been walking through. Fortunately that was not the case.

The derailment was a misspeak. But the images I saw showed a greater space between the locomotive and the first coach. Could have been normal, but that's what the photos showed. I'll be happy to stand corrected.

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,732 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

jb

There was no derailment.

The derailment was a misspeak. But the images I saw showed a greater space between the locomotive and the first coach. Could have been normal, but that's what the photos showed. I'll be happy to stand corrected.

Then please do stand corrected because that photo was not showing where the break was. It was showing where an evacuation ladder had been affixed to the door.

The gap that you saw is the normal gap between a power head and the adjacent car.

#12 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

I don't hang out in vestibules, even when the train crew allowed it.

#13 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

I used to, until I was educated out of it. Vestibules are designed to crumple first in the event of a severe collision.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#14 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Our local news said that an "Amtrak train broke apart while traveling at high speeds". That made me vision the train was traveling too fast, and due to that excessive speed, broke into millions of pieces. I thought, not again, and headed here for some details. Thankfully, I see the truth is that a coupler simply unhooked.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#15 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

One of m favorite places to sightsee while on a Viewliner.  :ph34r:
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#16 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

What ever has happened, simply happened at the worst time....right on the heels of the other events that has kept Amtrak in the negative spotlight..... :(

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#17 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

What ever has happened, simply happened at the worst time....right on the heels of the other events that has kept Amtrak in the negative spotlight..... :(

Timing is everything. When it rains, it pours but at least no one was hurt!

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#18 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:02 AM

Timing is everything. When it rains, it pours but at least no one was hurt!

Very true.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,732 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

http://cbsloc.al/2C138T7

#20 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

Though technically the vestibule is everything from the door into the cabin area to the next car, same spot, being in the vestibule per se is not as risky as being in the gangway connection - where the plates are actually moving under you.

I say that only because peering out the windows is not near as dangerous as being in the gangway in the event of a derailment. Even at a 125 MPH, I don't think you'll get sucked out the opening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users