Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Train 91-CSX collision in SC (2/4/18)/Liability issues

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#341 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:33 PM

The moment of impact. If you've never seen anything like it before, it will send chills down your spine!

Yikes. That's...something.  :unsure:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#342 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:25 AM

The moment of impact. If you've never seen anything like it before, it will send chills down your spine!

Lots of sparks, would the wheels stopping combined with the HEP disconnecting lead to that type of sparks?

#343 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

Lots of sparks, would the wheels stopping combined with the HEP disconnecting lead to that type of sparks?

I imagine it's just the wheels. Why would the HEP disconnecting cause the wheels to spark as it stops?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#344 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

I agree that it is probably because of the wheels sudden deceleration against the rails sparking.  But I imagine it is possible the HEP could be shorting against something (like the rails, other metal parts).  While the connectors are very well insulated from what I can see, it is still high current, 480 volts at pretty high amperage. 

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#345 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,534 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

Since the engine was the first thing destroyed in the crash, it is hard to imagine there was any live HEP following the complete destruction of the engine very early in the sequence.

#346 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, true, was just thinking about the sparking/electrical flashes themselves, not thinking sequence.
Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#347 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

The sparks are likely from the train being placed in emergency and  diverging over a 20mph hand thrown switch at almost 60 miles per hour.

• jis, Seaboard92, daybeers and 1 other like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#348 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:56 AM

Based on the video knowing the location as well. Could be from the moment the cars jumped the rails as well. Only three cars made it into the video which would be the coaches. And I know for a fact coach 1 and 2 both came off the track. So could have something to do with that.
  • CCC1007 and cpotisch like this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#349 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

The sparks from the locomotive are brake skidding sparks. The sparks from the coaches occur when they leave the rails. That's the wheels grinding against the rails.

• CCC1007 and JRR like this

#350 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:05 AM

As the lead engine comes in the frame, the brakes are already applied.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users