Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Train 91-CSX collision in SC (2/4/18)/Liability issues

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#321 AGM.12

AGM.12

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

With all of the liability issues out there, I wonder if CSX might use this accident as an excuse to tell Amtrak to move the Silver Star somewhere else or buy this line.

#322 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

With all of the liability issues out there, I wonder if CSX might use this accident as an excuse to tell Amtrak to move the Silver Star somewhere else or buy this line.

That's just it. Unless Amtrak pushes it and a court proves "gross negligence,"  the only liability CSX will have is the repairs to their infrastructure and their credibility. I'm willing to bet when people think of this accident, CSX isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#323 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

"Gross negligence" is a tough standard to prove. It has to essentially be a willful act.  The mistake was not only made, but the mistake was known as it was being made and, knowing that, there was still nothing done to correct it.  Basically, you have to prove sabotage.

#324 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

“Willful and wanton” are good terms to describe conduct amounting to Gross Negligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#325 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:58 PM

"Gross negligence" is a tough standard to prove. It has to essentially be a willful act.  The mistake was not only made, but the mistake was known as it was being made and, knowing that, there was still nothing done to correct it.  Basically, you have to prove sabotage.

Deliberately falsifying a federal safety form would qualify, IMO. Someone falsified that form.
  • cpotisch likes this
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#326 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

Yes but there are two crews involved. The crew that parked the train and the crew that was getting ready to leave.

Did the crew getting ready to leave open the switch not knowing the Sliver Star was running late? Of course you need Direct Instructions from the dispatcher. But a tired crew skipping a step is not impossible. Not sure a mistake of open the switch with out permissions is gross negligence on CSX part.
  • Thirdrail7 likes this

#327 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

The switch was locked in the wrong position. Someone sent in a form (presumably over radio) specifically saying it was locked in the right position. (Essentially, swearing that they had checked it and that it was correct.) Who signed that form? That's what I want to know.

Edited by neroden, 16 April 2018 - 02:21 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#328 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Would have had to been that CSX freight crew, wouldn't it?

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#329 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:06 PM

I’m sure the investigation will find the answers to these questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#330 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:48 PM

The switch was locked in the wrong position. Someone sent in a form (presumably over radio) specifically saying it was locked in the right position. (Essentially, swearing that they had checked it and that it was correct.) Who signed that form? That's what I want to know.

Have the dispatchers been cleared of any wrongdoing and do we know that a new crew didn't open the switch without proper permission?

#331 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:37 PM

This was the first sleeper in the derailment. Operating as line No. 9110.

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1524609381.841362.jpg   194.49KB   45 downloads

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1524609394.622617.jpg   201.35KB   42 downloads
  • daybeers and lordsigma like this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#332 Amtrak706

Amtrak706

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:40 AM

Wow. You know the number/name?

#333 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Wow. You know the number/name?

62012 If I remember correct Evening View.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#334 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

Is Amtrak liable for replacing the CSX equipment (Lead engine) as well as the Amtrak equipment and passenger liabilities. 

#335 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

Is Amtrak liable for replacing the CSX equipment (Lead engine) as well as the Amtrak equipment and passenger liabilities. 

I thought each was responsible for dealing with their own damages, so all the damage to CSX equipment is CSX's problem. Maybe I think wrong.

#336 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

No.  Any damage incurred by CSX is paid by CSX regardless of fault.

• jis and daybeers like this

#337 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

So the agreement is a true no fault agreement. 

#338 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,499 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

So the agreement is a true no fault agreement. 

That is my and apparently Prr's too, understanding.

#339 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:21 AM

Set your calendar. It's a twofer!

NTSB slates two-day hearing on fatal Amtrak crashes

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will hold an investigative hearing July 10-11 on two recent Amtrak crashes.

The public hearing will explore issues involved in the Amtrak Cascades derailment in DuPont, Washington, on Dec. 18, 2017; and an Amtrak collision with a freight train on Feb. 4 near Cayce, South Carolina, NTSB officials said in a press release.The hearing will include testimony from the Federal Railroad Administration; the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers; the Brotherhood of Locomotives Engineers and Trainmen; the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen; CSX; Sound Transit; Amtrak; the Washington State Department of Transportation; and the Washington State Utilities and Transportation Commission.

The hearing will be held in Washington, D.C., and may be watched live via webcast.

#340 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

The moment of impact. If you've never seen anything like it before, it will send chills down your spine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users