Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Train 91-CSX collision in SC (2/4/18)/Liability issues

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

(Local sheriff now reporting two fatalities and 70 injured) -- 

http://bit.ly/2EEPHey

Edited by Bierboy, 04 February 2018 - 07:08 AM.

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#2 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

Sad news to hear. It reads as though the Amtrak train ran into the rear of the freight train?

Ed.

#3 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

Here is am additional news article.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=52826058

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#4 jamesontheroad

jamesontheroad

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

Unfolding now: https://www.theguard...ina-train-crash

USA/Canada trains traveled: Adirondack, California Zephyr, Canadian, Capitol Limited, Cascades, Coast Starlight, Corridor (VIA), Crescent, Hudson Bay, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Ocean, Maple Leaf, Vermonter

#5 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

Sad news to hear. It reads as though the Amtrak train ran into the rear of the freight train?

Ed.

Latest photos Ive seen seem to indicate it was head on..

.Attached File  634B7299-08E4-4D71-865F-9E94090DC3C4.jpeg   146.97KB   97 downloads

Edited by Bierboy, 04 February 2018 - 08:08 AM.

Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#6 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:22 AM

Words can't express...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Edited by VentureForth, 04 February 2018 - 08:23 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#7 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

I sincerely hope the counts do not go up. This is horrific.

Thank you for the picture, Bierboy. A lot of things have been going through my mind since the first page came in but since I know nothing about the area, I couldn't picture how this could happen.

I do note there seems to be a signal in the picture. That could have relevance.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#8 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

This local TV station has a little video, but also some stills of the scene...

http://www.wistv.com...ion-in-cayce-sc

#9 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

Looking at pictures and Google Maps, it looks like the CSX train was in the siding and somehow 91 ended up there too.

Not a good first few months for Mr. Andersons tenure, but unfortunately some things are out of your control.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,828 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:44 AM

Words can't express...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Ditto!😣
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 RampWidget

RampWidget

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Anything that rolls, flies, or floats !

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Unconfirmed information 08:30 local time from a former colleague in Amtrak train/engine service that the fatalities are crewmembers.Prayers for the crews, passengers, and families.

Amtrak Acela, Auto-Train, California Zephyr. Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto, Pere Marquette, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttle, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle
Alaska RR Coastal Classic, Denali Star - Central of Georgia Rwy. Nancy Hanks II - Southern Rwy. Southern Crescent - LIRR - MARC - MBTA - MNCR - Tri-Rail

#12 William W.

William W.

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Traveling, Politics, Economics

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

From the looks of things Im guessing the fatalities are crew. AMT LD trains normally run with two engineers IIRC.

Edited by William W., 04 February 2018 - 08:50 AM.

Amtrak Routes Traveled (in order): Auto Train(2), Cardinal(6), Northeast Regional(20+), California Zephyr(1), Capitol Limited(1), Silver Star(1), Acela Express (4), Coast Starlight(1).

Upcoming Amtrak Trips: None.

Train Trips Abroad: Eurostar, Paris-Milan Night Train.

Countries Traveled: Canada, Haiti, UK, France, Italy, Vatican City, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary.

#13 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

What is the car right behind the 47 unit?  It looks to be Heritage?

#14 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

What grinds my gears is the MSM keep saying “this is the third Amtrak involved fatal accident since December”. While true, the last one was a garbage truck that pulled onto the tracks (not Amtrak’s fault) and this one looks more and more like it wasn’t Amtrak’s fault either.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#15 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

Unconfirmed information 08:30 local time from a former colleague in Amtrak train/engine service that the fatalities are crewmembers.Prayers for the crews, passengers, and families.

I can imagine. That CSX engine looks worse for the wear. If that engine was occupied.....

What is the car right behind the 47 unit?  It looks to be Heritage?

That is a damaged AMII.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#16 Grandpa D

Grandpa D

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

It looks like the lead CSX engine was struck twice by the Amtrak P42; first head-on and then, as the P42 broke in two, by the front of the P42 which bent to the right.  The CSX cab doesn't appear to have been struck directly.  Although the angle of the photo may be deceiving, it appears the two CSX engines were not coupled together.

#17 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

Words can't express...

Same here. Just. Speechless.

1963 U. S. Congress - underground trolley system Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) Old Tucson steam train (1969)
Amtrak - California Zephyr Coast Starlight  Southwest Chief Sunset Limited Texas Eagle  Illinois Zephyr
. . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far. 7,320 more miles booked OTM - OKJ - EMY - OTM March 2018.

#18 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

It is being reported on FB groups from Amtrak employees that the 2 fatalities are Amtrak crew members. 

It appears that the CSX train was unoccupied and parked on a storage track. Now the question becomes, how and why did 91 end up there. 

#19 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

CSX has a history of wire issues with there signals system.

One coach next to engine with a ripple in the roof.
Another coach and cafe car when sideways into the weeds. The first viewliners is off the track (lead truck) with damage to the front of the car.

Glad to hear CSX was parked. None of the engines cabs (Amtrak and CSX) provide enough protection in this accident.

#20 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

Press Conference currently taking place.  Report seems to confirm that two Amtrak employees were the fatalities. Over 100 people taken to hospital.  Trains hit head on, not sure why yet.  One of the coaches/sleepers? seems to have buckled.  More coming from the governor and emergency personnel.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users