Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Wine Tasting on the CZ

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BethChicago_*

Guest_BethChicago_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

A couple of years ago, we were surprised by a wine tasting on a west-bound California Zephyr train. I think there was a small surcharge but it was well worth it for the samples, the company, and to break up the trip out from Chicago to Grand Junction.  It was delightful.

We're traveling again on the CZ around spring break (late March / early April). Wondering if anyone has experienced a wine tasting in the last year or so. And if so, is there any way before we board, to tell if a wine tasting will be held on our trip?  

Thanks!

#2 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

We have traveled on the CZ couple times in last two years and did not have any wine cheese parties that I am aware of.  Would be nice if they came back but with all the current cuts, it is doubtful.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#3 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

This is the first I have heard of wine tasting on the California Zephyr.  I enjoy wine tastings and have participated on the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder.

Amtrak miles: 233,112; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,929 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

I addition to Penny's post,the Lake Shore Ltd used to have a Wine,Cheese and Fruit reception in the Diner for Sleeping Car Passengers after boarding in Chicago.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 02 February 2018 - 10:06 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

I have only experienced a wine tasting with cheese on the CS, never on the CZ.  Decades ago, the EB had EB wine glasses, with EB mini bottler of wine on a white table cloth on the fold out table in the rooms.  There was a small tray of crackers and cheese included.  I saved the glasses from all my trips.  Had a couple dozen or more when we moved about 10 years ago.

#6 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

The VIA Canadian had a Champaign & Ordoeuvre service in the Dome Car shortly after leaving Jasper East bound last summer. I don't know if they always do it.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Edited by JRR, 03 February 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

A wine tasting on the Zephyr sounds like heaven. Sadly, it seems like that era has passed.  :(

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#8 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

with the PPC having been retired and no replacement scheduled, that wine tasting appears to be gone now.  

#9 RichieRich

RichieRich

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

The Wine,Cheese, snack, and Fruit reception on the AT was cancelled years ago along with most amenities. Expecting the "sporks" next to go with the plastic plates..

#10 GregL

GregL

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

We are looking forward to a wine tasting on 3 Amtrak trains in May!
Unfortunately our own wine. Guaranteed to like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#11 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Yep. Next week wine tasting on the CZ will be from my private stock, in the privacy of my Roomette .

Edited by KmH, 22 March 2018 - 05:43 PM.

• BethChicago likes this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#12 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Ah! guaranteed a good tasting wine.  Maybe some cheese to go with the relaxing event.  Bring a cloth napkin along to put on your pull out table to make the time even more upscale.  Got to enjoy the wine and that spectacular scenery.

• GregL, BethChicago and cpotisch like this

#13 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

Since the PPCs were removed from the CS I would imagine wine tasting is gone. A few years ago they had it on the EB. Sadly amenities like that are history

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Since the PPCs were removed from the CS I would imagine wine tasting is gone. A few years ago they had it on the EB. Sadly amenities like that are history

I would say that it's theoretically possible that wine tastings or other similar amenities return, but we're going to have to wait at least until Anderson leaves.

Until then, we'll just be getting closer and closer to a Greyhound on rails.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#15 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

It is not Anderson, it is the rule established by Congress that Amtrak must not lose money. Until that rule is changed by Congress, Anderson (and all subsequent presidents) must comply with it.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#16 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Amtrak must keep cutting and cutting, and the passengers must keep accepting and accepting in order to make the decision makers in Congress happy (who probably have never traveled on a LD train)

#17 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Amtrak must keep cutting and cutting, and the passengers must keep accepting and accepting in order to make the decision makers in Congress happy (who probably have never traveled on a LD train)

We, the People, determine who those decision makers are in Congress.

And, when such individuals are voted into Office, it is We, the People, who need to keep reminding them of OUR opinions and priorities.  They are employed to work for US:  We, the People!

#18 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Unfortunately, I can only vote for one of the 435, 2 of the 100.  Though, my vote is cast,my letters written, it doesn't seem to put into office the pro-Amtrak Congress people or make a difference..

#19 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Unfortunately, I can only vote for one of the 435, 2 of the 100.  Though, my vote is cast,my letters written, it doesn't seem to put into office the pro-Amtrak Congress people or make a difference..

Me too, but I keep on trying.  I send lots of e-mails with a phone call and a letter once in awhile.  Does it do any good?  Who knows?  

"Drip, drip, drip":  the rock gets worn away.  That is the political activism that I try to use for Amtrak issues as well as many others.

#20 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,929 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Based on jis info, look for Big Increases in Sleeper and Rail Fares coming soon to the Western Trains which have been a Bargain compared to the Eastern Trains!😣
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users