Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Former Wisconsin Talgos Going to PNW

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

on to Beech grove for storage

giphy.gif
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#42 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

So the Talgo is on its way back from TTC to Chicago and on to Beech grove for storage .

https://www.trainord...d.php?4,4485695

Go back and look at the most recent posts.  Of course I can't say anything concrete, but... Lets just say that plans are for them to not be sitting much longer, from what I've been told by sources.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#43 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

If I've been reading things right, they're going to beech Grove only until the FRA approves the necessary waivers for PNW service.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#44 Maglev

Maglev

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

As I understand it, these trains do not have Business Class.  Perhaps they are being sent to Beech Grove for modification? 

Northeast corridor Heritage, Metroliner, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#45 DevalDragon

DevalDragon

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Railroads, Dragons, Travel

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Was looking at some pics posted by the Talgo tech riding with the equipment.

Can't want to have the at least the first set back in service! We're also hoping to have the Jefferson set back in service within the next few months as well

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

What was the final estimate of damage to Mt. Jefferson?

Whatever it cost new, because it's not repairable. 

Amtrak owes Washington State quite a chunk of change because they destroyed a new Charger and Talgo Trainset that did not belong to them.

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Considering how pissed off Washington and Oregon have been with Amtrak even with their handling of the first accident, it is quite understandable that Amtrak will bend over backwards into a pretzel to make things good as much as they can.

#47 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

What they actually owe them is subject to the agreements between Amtrak and the state, whether the state has them insured, and in any case depreciated or actual cash value rather than replacement cost is more likely to be a legal obligation in a typical contract of this type. Moral obligations have little to do with a case like this.

#48 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

Was looking at some pics posted by the Talgo tech riding with the equipment.

Can't want to have the at least the first set back in service! We're also hoping to have the Jefferson set back in service within the next few months as well

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

What was the final estimate of damage to Mt. Jefferson?

Whatever it cost new, because it's not repairable. 

Amtrak owes Washington State quite a chunk of change because they destroyed a new Charger and Talgo Trainset that did not belong to them.

Mt. Jefferson was not destroyed, though. Just damaged. Amtrak won't be needing to pay for a future trainset there.

Mt. Adams was destroyed.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#49 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

With the one set going back to BEE maybe the title of this thread is threatened ?

#50 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:22 AM

How long is the testing segment, the Beech Grove mods and FRA approval?  Trying to estimate the earliest possible arrival date.

#51 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

The set that went on the field trip is now back at Beech Grove and the Charger is making trips on the Hiawatha.

#52 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

only reason the set went to pueblo was for curve testing and interaction with the charger, a test done to conclude some of derailment data of train 501. 

the door light waiver had nothing to do with it .

#53 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like the title should be changed to "Former Wisconsin Talgos Going Back Into Storage".

#54 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

Is it to go into storage or for modificat5ion work to make them suitable for PNW? Just wondering.

#55 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

My interpretation is that the move to Pueblo and back is unrelated to any potential PNW operation.

Posted Image

#56 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

How much does it cost the PNW for a set of Talgos compared to a set of six or so Siemens cars?

#57 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

Still one of the ugliest cab cars in the US. Unfortunately, the Charger doesn't help, even if there was a baggage car with the "sweep" in between.

:wacko:

Looks like something out of "Cars"!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#58 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

How much does it cost the PNW for a set of Talgos compared to a set of six or so Siemens cars?

I realize I probably sound idiotic saying this (and probably pedantic too) but I would think part of the attractiveness of the Talgo's is that they match what's already in service and they are available - are there Siemens that would be ready quickly? I'll let somebody actually knowledgeable speak to the cost.

Edited by Metra Electric Rider, 23 February 2018 - 02:07 PM.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#59 VT Hokie

VT Hokie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Plus the Talgos' tilt capability is actually used to maintain the Cascades schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users