Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Former Wisconsin Talgos Going to PNW

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 DSS&A

DSS&A

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

Hi,
It was reported that one of the Wisconsin Talgo trainsets is on the move to Chicago.

http://www.railroad....p?f=46&t=166855

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

Photos of them on the BookFace as well. Chicago, Pueblo, then up to the NW...
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

Source on final destination please. Havent see anything other than Pueblo. Just wondering how solid.

#4 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

Source on final destination please. Havent see anything other than Pueblo. Just wondering how solid.

https://www.regulati...contentType=pdf

There are currently two Series 8 Talgo train sets that were constructed and put into storage at Amtrak's Beech Grove Facility prior to 49 CFR 238.131 going into effect, and have never been in service. In order to support the train service owned by the Washington State Department of Transportation, Amtrak desires to now put these two Series 8 Talgo train sets in service.

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

#5 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

There are currently two Series 8 Talgo train sets that were constructed and put into storage at Amtrak's Beech Grove Facility prior to 49 CFR 238.131 going into effect, and have never been in service. In order to support the train service owned by the Washington State Department of Transportation, Amtrak desires to now put these two Series 8 Talgo train sets in service.

To be fair, that letter is a year old. Not saying they arent headed to the Northwest (because that would be a logical thing to do), but the request in Amtraks letter isnt related to the derailment.

#6 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

To be fair, that letter is a year old. Not saying they arent headed to the Northwest (because that would be a logical thing to do), but the request in Amtraks letter isnt related to the derailment.

True. I figured that since it was stamped received earlier this month that it was a precursor to this move, but it definitely doesn't mean that the move happened because of the derailment (and really this whole line of discussion should probably get spun off into a separate thread).

#7 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Pure speculation, but after the #501 wreck, Amtrak pledged to make Oregon and Washington whole (in stark contrast to the aftermath of the Cambers Bay #506 incident when Amtrak wrecked the train, and then told the state they would have to pay for Amtrak replacement equipment). The Chambers Bay wreck last July took an Oregon-owned set out of service, and this wreck nailed a Washington-owned set.

The two Wisconsin sets may have enough differences from the two Oregon sets that testing at Pueblo is needed.  Rumor has it that the sets will then go back to Talgo in Milwaukee for some mods (maybe converting one or more cars to business class?), then out to the PNW to free conventional equipment, add the set needed for the additional round trip promised with the bypass and provide some margin for maintenance.  As I said, pure speculation, but with the PNW short Talgos, and two sitting idle in Indiana for a couple of years and now moving around, it's possible to connect the dots.

#8 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

That letter is not a year old. It is from January 2, 2018.  The letter typo'd 2017 for 2018 - post New Year hangover. Look at the received stamp date.

#9 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Sharp eye, good catch.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#10 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:02 AM

Good point. I saw the date on the letter, but missed the received date stamp.

#11 spidersfan351

spidersfan351

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Mountains, Rivers, trains which run along mountains and rivers.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

FWIW, I just saw a video of the Wisconsin Talgo sets pass La Plata, MO last night on their way to Pueblo, so it would appear this is in motion.

#12 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Here's a video of the special move at Cameron, Illinois by Bobby Harvey Video Productions.

#13 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:52 AM

For the two Talgo set to be used in the PNW money is needed. Some of those funds will go to Wisconsin, if I recall correctly. Just missing the dots. Or maybe the testing is need in CO first.

#14 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

Still one of the ugliest cab cars in the US. Unfortunately, the Charger doesn't help, even if there was a baggage car with the "sweep" in between.

:wacko:

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#15 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Wisconsin never paid for the Talgos, thanks to Scott Walker.  They're still owned by Talgo.  Talgo closed its Wisconsin operations completely, thanks to Scott Walker.  (Apparently they reopened in late 2016 to refurbish some LA Metro subway cars, though.)  In the settlement of Talgo's lawsuit against Scott Walker for breach of contract, it was agreed that Wisconsin could receive up to 30% of any payment for a successful sale of the trains, but not more than $9.75 million (and there may also have been a time limit on that). Wisconsin receives 30% of a net amount *after* Talgo's costs of storage and marketing are subtracted, so I'm guessing they won't be getting much if anything (Talgo has been marketing the cars for years and storing them for years).

I don't know whether Amtrak or the states of Washington/Oregon are purchasing the Talgos -- I'm going to guess Amtrak is doing so to compensate Washington and Oregon for the losses caused by the crashes.  I'm pretty sure they're not paying list price.

Edited by neroden, 01 February 2018 - 05:04 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#16 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Not unhappy with idea that Wisconsin will be missing out on a windfall of funds.

#17 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Not unhappy with idea that Wisconsin will be missing out on a windfall of funds.

Unfortunately, missing out on those funds was the decision the people of Wisconsin made when they elected Mr. Walker and his people into office.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#18 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

Its official the 2 Talgos are going to the PNW

#19 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

Well now I've heard that they're going to the PNW, to Milwaukee, and to Beech Grove again.  Just need to hear that LOSSAN is taking them and I think we'll have covered all the options...

#20 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:32 AM

Well now I've heard that they're going to the PNW, to Milwaukee, and to Beech Grove again.  Just need to hear that LOSSAN is taking them and I think we'll have covered all the options...

Well, there was talk about that a while back, as well as a rumor that Michigan was interested in them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users