Amtrak train with GOP congressional members hits truck (1/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this a special train just for GOP congress people and spouses and staff? If it is the Cardinal some other passengers may not be

getting the attention they deserve. The truck seems to be a tractor trailer loaded with garbage.

CNN doesn't seem to know the difference between the Greenbriar hotel and the town of White Sulphur Springs.

Speaker Ryan and others say they are OK.

Well... so much for that opportunity to win GOP Congressional Support...
default_wink.png

I heard it was a chartered train the originated in Washington, DC carrying members of Congress and their families to a retreat in West Virginia. I heard there were 3 on the garbage truck and at least one fatality from the truck.

Hopefully massive fines and prison time for starters for those in the truck. It is well past time devastating penalties be placed on those who are cause rail crossing accidents, assuming they survive.

Hopefully massive fines and prison time for starters for those in the truck. It is well past time devastating penalties be placed on those who are cause rail crossing accidents, assuming they survive.
You've got that jump to conclusions mat out pretty quickly!
Impressive that you know exactly what happened from hundreds of miles away within minutes!

I find it ironic that the party that routinely votes to cut Amtrak is taking Amtrak to their annual meeting. Well at least they might understand the standard problems of Amtrak passengers

I am seeing two sets of pictures of the accident, one with P42 #145 with a dent, and another with P42 #4. Was the train running with an engine at each end, and #4 is the tail of the train, while #145 was the head end?

CNN is giving this heavy play including a reporter saying that the "Conductor driving tbe train" didn't see the truck until it was too late to stop.

Also that it was a "Regular" Chartered Amtrak Train since we don't have "Bullet Trains" like Japan,Europe and China.

I am seeing two sets of pictures of the accident, one with P42 #145 with a dent, and another with P42 #4. Was the train running with an engine at each end, and #4 is the tail of the train, while #145 was the head end?
MSNBC reported that there were engines at both ends.

I just heard that train second engine is pulling train back to Charlottesville and passengers will board buses to continue to their retreat.

Photos show cross arms at crossing were down and lights were working.

Is there any possibility that this incident can be a wake up call to congress about the problems of grade crossing incidents ? That would actually mean some congressional actions that probably are not going to happen ?

What would happen is congressional action authorizing grade crossing cameras minimum fine $500.00 that cannot be cancelled by state or local actions to ban the cameras or fines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back