Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Upstate NY Counties Bypassed by Amtrak

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,802 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

It would be a very scenic ride - indeed borderline spectacular, up the Delaware Valley and Gorge though. The very thing that makes it excruciatingly slow. I have driven on the parallel local roads often as a slow scenic diversion away from somewhat scenic Rt 17, on the way to or from the Deposit area where I headed north to visit my old host family at Otego, usually via Franklin and then down the escarpment into the Susquehana Valley, or straight to Sydeny and I-88. I can almost claim it to be my old stomping grounds.

Incidentally, the shortest route to Otego from NJ is up Rt 17 to Roscoe and then on little mountain roads to Franklin and then down into Otego.

#22 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

I spent a few weeks for 3 summers at the Ten Mile River BSA camp at Narrowsburg. The upper Delaware is indeed very scenic and ever popular with rafters...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#23 Northeastern292

Northeastern292

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:see my social networking profiles: too many to list!

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

If you want to run a service from Philly to Binghamton the routing PHL - HAR - Scranton - Binghamton may be faster than the hopelessly slow Port Jervis - Binghamton segment.

Also before MNRR service can run serving any county, that county has to join the MNRR "compact" and contribute money to it. I don't expect any of the Southern Tier counties to do that for just one lousy train on the Erie Line which would serve hardly anyone's business travel needs of any sort.

Any service past Port Jervis would be intercity. A great place for the Horizon coaches once they are off the Midwest routes.

It's a slow route, but for those who have the time to spare, it's scenic. East of Port Jervis you have the Moodna Viaduct. West of Port Jervis it's the Delaware River Valley, which is a little like the Colorado River Canyon, albeit a dollar store brand. Not as majestic, but still worthwhile.

That said, the news of Great Lakes Aviation's demise yesterday should only increase the demand for Amtrak service.

*As a part-time Sullivan County resident, I would LOVE the county to join the MTA, as my patience for ShortLine is short.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

If you want to run a service from Philly to Binghamton the routing PHL - HAR - Scranton - Binghamton may be faster than the hopelessly slow Port Jervis - Binghamton segment.

Also before MNRR service can run serving any county, that county has to join the MNRR "compact" and contribute money to it. I don't expect any of the Southern Tier counties to do that for just one lousy train on the Erie Line which would serve hardly anyone's business travel needs of any sort.

Any service past Port Jervis would be intercity. A great place for the Horizon coaches once they are off the Midwest routes.

It's a slow route, but for those who have the time to spare, it's scenic. East of Port Jervis you have the Moodna Viaduct. West of Port Jervis it's the Delaware River Valley, which is a little like the Colorado River Canyon, albeit a dollar store brand. Not as majestic, but still worthwhile.

That said, the news of Great Lakes Aviation's demise yesterday should only increase the demand for Amtrak service.

*As a part-time Sullivan County resident, I would LOVE the county to join the MTA, as my patience for ShortLine is short.

Sullivan county joining the MTA district would not bring back the Ontario and Western....so....Short Line will have to do... :P

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 Northeastern292

Northeastern292

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:see my social networking profiles: too many to list!

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:35 PM

Sullivan county joining the MTA district would not bring back the Ontario and Western....so....Short Line will have to do... :P
And I'm the only person who would rather have a three seat ride than ShortLine.

Not a fan of any Stagecoach property. No TVM's, inconsistent operations, etc.

#26 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,625 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

I drive north to Syracuse and catch Amtrak just to avoid ShortLine. They suck bigtime.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#27 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,625 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:02 PM

It is. Everyone who's looked at it agrees. The Port Jervis - Binghamton route is just awful.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users